Players good enough to be in a top 6 squad

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Players good enough to be in a top 6 squad

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:59 pm

Nel and Watson. Rest aren't up to it
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Re: Players good enough to be in a top 6 squad

Postby gowrie on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:23 pm

A thoroughly researched and well argued point that is not all hysterical. High quality thread
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:30 pm

They don't need to be this year, we're not going to make top 6 and management realised that so Solly was given the boot.

I genuinely don't know where we go from here, Glasgow didn't even play that well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:31 pm

gowrie wrote:A thoroughly researched and well argued point that is not all hysterical. High quality thread

So which players are up to playing in a top 6 squad then ?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:33 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
gowrie wrote:A thoroughly researched and well argued point that is not all hysterical. High quality thread

So which players are up to playing in a top 6 squad then ?

Dickinson, Toolis, Bresler, du Preez, Manu, Bradbury, SHC, Weir, Hoyland, Burleigh and Kinghorn would make the squad at least ... how many make a first 15 is a different question.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:35 pm

Yeah, I can't see why anyone would think guys like Watson, Dickinson, Bradbury etc; could ever hold their own above Prem level. I mean sure they've put in years of good performances at Pro12/European/Test level, but really in the end the true judge of a player is what I can see out of one half closed eye after 3 pints and a turkey dinner.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:37 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:They don't need to be this year, we're not going to make top 6 and management realised that so Solly was given the boot.

I genuinely don't know where we go from here, Glasgow didn't even play that well.

Peter Wright said The SRU need to make a decision on Hodge. One way or the other, things need to settle and players need to know. I think this is fair. Glasgow could have been out of sight today it'll be interesting to see if they make top 4
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:43 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:They don't need to be this year, we're not going to make top 6 and management realised that so Solly was given the boot.

Peter Wright said The SRU need to make a decision on Hodge. One way or the other, things need to settle and players need to know. I think this is fair. Glasgow could have been out of sight today it'll be interesting to see if they make top 4

Glasgow will make top 4 I think, this time last season we were above them! They're too good as their games vs Racing showed not to make it.

A decision needs to be made that is true but I understand the hesitation. The decision on the next coach is crucial - we need a good one.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:11 pm

gowrie wrote:Yeah, I can't see why anyone would think guys like Watson, Dickinson, Bradbury etc; could ever hold their own above Prem level. I mean sure they've put in years of good performances at Pro12/European/Test level, but really in the end the true judge of a player is what I can see out of one half closed eye after 3 pints and a turkey dinner.

Have they put on years of good performances at pro 12 level though. We wouldn't be in 6th even if we had our points doubled. I'm not talking prem level I'm talking top 6 pro 12 but don't let that get in the way. Be happy with 10th. Perhaps that what 3 pints and a turkey dinner actually does.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:01 pm

I had chicken and well more than in three pints and think that quite a few of our players would make a top four side, just n ot ours.

Not sure what that means but it's been going on for years and I'm well TonySpreadbury ell of with it. Cannot stand another development year.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:03 pm

How many of our guys would have got into the Weegie team tonight? Watson? Thats about it. Too many rose coloured glasses thinking our guys are better than they are, we are not in 10th place for nothing.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:50 pm

OK, so 3-4 of our 43 player squad are good enough apparently. So what does the brain trust here think the people in charge should do? Sack all our players and find another 40 that are both good enough and we can actually afford, and will actually form a cohesive team overnight?

There are problems but what's the point grousing and whining about things that are just beyond anyone's capacity to fix? If you truly think our professional players, many of whom have performed against international opposition, are beyond all hope and recovery, I don't know what point there is watching the team and week after week crying about it. There's surely not much enjoyment being had there.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 pm

doedin wrote:How many of our guys would have got into the Weegie team tonight? Watson? Thats about it. Too many rose coloured glasses thinking our guys are better than they are, we are not in 10th place for nothing.

SteveWalsh

Dickinson, Ford & Berghan had the upper hand in the scrum, that didn't drop off when Dell came on. Brown's lineout was awful, Ford's wasn't 100% but it was much much better than Brown's. When Ford was tackling he drove or pulled his man back toward's the opposition, preventing quick front foot - there were a couple early on that were so prominent - how did you miss them?
Harley was quiet, so was Bradbury - would you really have Harley over Bradbury? Strauss outplayed CDP - no real question on that. Gray was the best player on the park, Gilcho was poor. The other two locks were evens, imo.

Pyrgos was better than SH-C tonight, as were all of their backs bar Hoyland for Jones, but given they are first choice for Scotland you would expect that
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:50 pm

Not a great performance from either side, and a poor quality disappointing game overall. Glasgow deserved to win, but they didn't look that good on the day. I thought SHC hard a poor game, and his pedestrian service didn't help us. Kennedy speeded things up, and him and Tovey started to make things happen for us. It was all too late though. We needed to play at pace to have a chance today, but we were generally ponderous and failed to get the ball to our back 3 in any space. On the couple of occasions Hoyland did get a half chance he was off, but it was too rare. Not many positives for us, sadly.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:55 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Not a great performance from either side, and a poor quality disappointing game overall. Glasgow deserved to win, but they didn't look that good on the day. I thought SHC hard a poor game, and his pedestrian service didn't help us. Kennedy speeded things up, and him and Tovey started to make things happen for us. It was all too late though. We needed to play at pace to have a chance today, but we were generally ponderous and failed to get the ball to our back 3 in any space. On the couple of occasions Hoyland did get a half chance he was off, but it was too rare. Not many positives for us, sadly.

I agree with all of that, it looked to me that Edinburgh, and SH-C in particular, didn't have the confidence to play at pace. Everything had to be set before he would get the ball back, as opposed to knowing it would come off as long as he got the ball asap to Weir or the others presenting themselves as "first receiver" - it's a team that doesn't know how to pick up the pace and win
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum