Players good enough to be in a top 6 squad

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Players good enough to be in a top 6 squad

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:17 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Brown for forward's coach definitely - although I wouldn't be surprised if Sarries have him cutting his teeth in the academy with a view to him being the next forwards coach like they did with Sanderson.

I'm not sure about Brown, Blair or Dalzell for Head Coach because they don't have the experience. I think the SRU have a plan for Blair as there's been no announcement of his role for next year. Who's the under20s coach for this year with Dalzell at LS? Could that be Blair?

Re Brown - definitely not HC but involved in some capacity would be good.

I thought Ben Fisher and Ian Monaghan were the U20 coaches under JD? Or are we expecting that to change?

I worded that poorly, my bad. I meant Dalzell is forwards coach of London Scottish so presumably there will be a new Head Coach of the under 20s and I didn't know if anything has been announced with who the coaches are this year, I thought Mike Blair may be involved.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:29 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Brown for forward's coach definitely - although I wouldn't be surprised if Sarries have him cutting his teeth in the academy with a view to him being the next forwards coach like they did with Sanderson.

I'm not sure about Brown, Blair or Dalzell for Head Coach because they don't have the experience. I think the SRU have a plan for Blair as there's been no announcement of his role for next year. Who's the under20s coach for this year with Dalzell at LS? Could that be Blair?

Re Brown - definitely not HC but involved in some capacity would be good.

I thought Ben Fisher and Ian Monaghan were the U20 coaches under JD? Or are we expecting that to change?

I worded that poorly, my bad. I meant Dalzell is forwards coach of London Scottish so presumably there will be a new Head Coach of the under 20s and I didn't know if anything has been announced with who the coaches are this year, I thought Mike Blair may be involved.

Gotcha, given the SRU have put some coaches through the UKCC level 4 course I would think it is likely to be one of them? They would be due to finish the 2 year course this year. Phil Smith maybe? I would let Blair have a free flowing sort of advisory/mentor role across all youth teams but not sure he has enough coaching experience yet.

The 1st lot to be put on the UKCC level 4 were:
Kenny Murray (Glasgow Warriors), Stevie Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Ben Fisher (Edinburgh Academy Skills Coach, Boroughmuir and Scotland under-18), John Dalziel (Melrose and Scotland under-20), Phil Smith (Heriot’s, Glasgow Academy and Scotland Club XV), Calum Forrester (Ayr and Scotland under-19), Stevie Lawrie (Heriot’s, Stewart’s Melville College and Scotland under-16) and Andrew Hall (Hong Kong).

Second lot that started last summer: Ben Cairns (Currie Head Coach and Scotland under-18 Assistant Coach), Ross Miller (BT Sport Academy Skills Coach and former Melrose Development Officer), Nikki Walker (Hawick Head Coach), Fergus Pringle (East Lothian Development Officer and former Currie Assistant Coach), Colin Sangster (Dundee HSFP Head Coach and former Scotland age-grade), Scott Forrest (Ayr Assistant Coach and former Scotland Women 7s coach),
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 pm

Phil Smith is still with the Scotland XV this year. And it's a regret because he had great results with both Scotland XV and Heriots, so I would have been keen to see him with the -20 (or with Edinburgh :D ).
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:51 pm

Ally Hogg's contract with Newcastle must be up this season. I've always thought of him as being a very smart player, one who could do well as a coach. He's still very much a starter for the Falcons so he might get another season's contract, but he turns 34 this year so he won't be going on for more than a few seasons.
It always surprises me that he's that young tbh, it seems such a long time ago that he was with Edinburgh and Scotland.

He was coaching a local team (to Newcastle) with Mike Blair for a while, anyone know if he is still doing this?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:04 pm

Think that was Tynedale - he's not listed on their website as a coach anymore, but Scott Lawson is.

EDIT: Hogg was apparently at Ponteland more recently, but not listed on their website anymore either.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:23 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Gotcha, given the SRU have put some coaches through the UKCC level 4 course I would think it is likely to be one of them? They would be due to finish the 2 year course this year. Phil Smith maybe? I would let Blair have a free flowing sort of advisory/mentor role across all youth teams but not sure he has enough coaching experience yet.

The 1st lot to be put on the UKCC level 4 were:
Kenny Murray (Glasgow Warriors), Stevie Scott (Edinburgh Rugby), Ben Fisher (Edinburgh Academy Skills Coach, Boroughmuir and Scotland under-18), John Dalziel (Melrose and Scotland under-20), Phil Smith (Heriot’s, Glasgow Academy and Scotland Club XV), Calum Forrester (Ayr and Scotland under-19), Stevie Lawrie (Heriot’s, Stewart’s Melville College and Scotland under-16) and Andrew Hall (Hong Kong).

Second lot that started last summer: Ben Cairns (Currie Head Coach and Scotland under-18 Assistant Coach), Ross Miller (BT Sport Academy Skills Coach and former Melrose Development Officer), Nikki Walker (Hawick Head Coach), Fergus Pringle (East Lothian Development Officer and former Currie Assistant Coach), Colin Sangster (Dundee HSFP Head Coach and former Scotland age-grade), Scott Forrest (Ayr Assistant Coach and former Scotland Women 7s coach),

Kenny Murray is an interesting shout as it's not been announced if he's staying at Glasgow when Rennie joins. I figure Lineen might actually still be the under 20s head coach? It's good there's a lot of young coaches coming through - Ben Cairns is an interesting one as Currie are doing some good things, same with Forrester at Ayr.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:24 am

Kenny Murray is an interesting shout as it's not been announced if he's staying at Glasgow when Rennie joins. I figure Lineen might actually still be the under 20s head coach? It's good there's a lot of young coaches coming through - Ben Cairns is an interesting one as Currie are doing some good things, same with Forrester at Ayr.

A conversation for another time is how do we get these good domestic coaches into the pro game (if they want) or are we (and they) happy having these highly qualified coaches (in terms of completing UKCC4) handle the age grade internationals only?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:43 pm

BigD163 wrote:

A conversation for another time is how do we get these good domestic coaches into the pro game (if they want) or are we (and they) happy having these highly qualified coaches (in terms of completing UKCC4) handle the age grade internationals only?

Well it's tough when we only have 2 Pro teams so the age grade game lets them show their stuff - I think Dalzell is a good coach judging by last year and then either get them in the Pro clubs or try and find a role for them outwith Scotland.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby borderflanker on Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Ally Hogg was coaching at Ponteland
borderflanker
Established pro

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:26 pm

Cockerill is off to Toulon until the end of the season so - at least for now - he's not our man.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:08 pm

gowrie wrote:A thoroughly researched and well argued point that is not all hysterical. High quality thread

I think it's safe to say now I rest my case
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum