Player selection, coaches, tactics are not the problem.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Player selection, coaches, tactics are not the problem.

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:59 am

macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote: Only just saw this - the scrum was even? Did you watch the game?
Getting "sat down" is only bad if it is your own fault, I don't recall Ford being at fault but I will try to watch the game again in the next couple of days if I get the time and come back to you - I promise that I'll report back what I see as objectively as I can.

I haven't seen leadership and dynamism from Rambo for a while, I'd have Cochrane as my back up to Ford right now.

It's time to pull the plug on the Rambo hooker experiment. He is too tall to hook the ball and it's still his play in the loose that's his strong point. It will never be about set pieces for him. We wouldn't lose anything by giving George Turner and Cochrane some game time.

Ford has 100 international caps and he doesn't hook the ball at all; if we're saying Rambo doesn't hook so he can't play hooker then by the same logic neither can Ford.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:29 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote: Only just saw this - the scrum was even? Did you watch the game?
Getting "sat down" is only bad if it is your own fault, I don't recall Ford being at fault but I will try to watch the game again in the next couple of days if I get the time and come back to you - I promise that I'll report back what I see as objectively as I can.

I haven't seen leadership and dynamism from Rambo for a while, I'd have Cochrane as my back up to Ford right now.

It's time to pull the plug on the Rambo hooker experiment. He is too tall to hook the ball and it's still his play in the loose that's his strong point. It will never be about set pieces for him. We wouldn't lose anything by giving George Turner and Cochrane some game time.

Ford has 100 international caps and he doesn't hook the ball at all; if we're saying Rambo doesn't hook so he can't play hooker then by the same logic neither can Ford.

Stevie Scott coaches the scrums around not hooking the ball. I know players and coaches who have attended CPD type sessions from him and he openly said that.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:06 pm

BigD163 wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
macdone wrote:

Stevie Scott coaches the scrums around not hooking the ball. I know players and coaches who have attended CPD type sessions from him and he openly said that.

As Lady Bracknell could have said, ' To have one hooker who can't hook (or throw straight!) may be regarded as a misfortune, to have both looks like carelessness.’ (!)

McInally's switch to hooker was IIRC a bit of last-minute succession 'planning' for the national side. He is still needed there as a back-up to Ford and contender to Brown, until the Turner/Malcolm generation comes through. Being 6'3" tall is not a great qualification for hooking though, you really want the sub 6' 0" build of a Cochrane or Nel. McInally would be a much better fit at blindside flanker, he's near enough the same height and weight as CdP and is good in the loose.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:25 pm

Scott really hopefully is changing what he coaches now as the scrum laws have changed and hooking is in fashion again.

I agree that moving McInally was probably another SRU idea - moving Bryce looks strange considering. But I'm unsure where McInally would still be at the club if he stayed in the backrow..
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum