Player selection, coaches, tactics are not the problem.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Player selection, coaches, tactics are not the problem.

Postby biffer on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:33 pm

The fundamental problem is deeper than any of these things. Different players, different coaching and different tactics have delivered the same thing - a team that produces good rugby for five or ten minutes at a time and then follows it up with twenty minutes of playing like children.

We have to realise we have different problems, they are fundamental problems which run deeper than any one or two year tactical decision.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Player selection, coaches, tactics are not the problem.

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:40 pm

I'm not so sure. England went from laughing stock, kicked out of their own world cup at the group stages to then going an entire year unbeaten, the only team they didn't face was the ABs and I would have backed them to do over New Zealand. It was pretty much the same group of players, the difference was the coaching team - the buck stops there.

I think we have a decent group of players, some of them are the best Scotland has to offer, others show great potential. Connacht won last year's title, yes with a bit of luck in the timing that got them off to a good run, but the real reason was Lam and his team - the whole ethos came from him and what he built on the foundations that Elwood laid down.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:17 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I'm not so sure. England went from laughing stock, kicked out of their own world cup at the group stages to then going an entire year unbeaten, the only team they didn't face was the ABs and I would have backed them to do over New Zealand. It was pretty much the same group of players, the difference was the coaching team - the buck stops there.

I think we have a decent group of players, some of them are the best Scotland has to offer, others show great potential. Connacht won last year's title, yes with a bit of luck in the timing that got them off to a good run, but the real reason was Lam and his team - the whole ethos came from him and what he built on the foundations that Elwood laid down.

I agree, if players aren't working hard enough and going in to matches with the wrong mindset that's down to the coach. Hodge should ask the SRU for a sports psychologist to work with the players,then if some players are setting a bad example in training they don't play for Edinburgh until they give it 100% and if they don't give it 100% they can close the door behind them when their contract is up. If young players don't want it then they don't play for Edinburgh and can chance their hand elsewhere. We're going to have a bad season and finish low in the Pro12, so we may as well finish low in the Pro12 blooding guys who want to be here and work for next year. Also, if Hodge and his coaches are setting the wrong example in training then they have to leave Edinburgh.

I don't think Gilchrist should be captain. Time to go with McInally hooker and starting with Carmichael/McKenzie playing 5 until Bresler comes back. When Gilchrist is playing well and cuts out the penalties he can compete for a spot but he certainly does not deserve it right now.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:23 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I'm not so sure. England went from laughing stock, kicked out of their own world cup at the group stages to then going an entire year unbeaten, the only team they didn't face was the ABs and I would have backed them to do over New Zealand. It was pretty much the same group of players, the difference was the coaching team - the buck stops there.

I agree, if players aren't working hard enough and going in to matches with the wrong mindset that's down to the coach. Hodge should ask the SRU for a sports psychologist to work with the players,then if some players are setting a bad example in training they don't play for Edinburgh until they give it 100% and if they don't give it 100% they can close the door behind them when their contract is up. If young players don't want it then they don't play for Edinburgh and can chance their hand elsewhere. We're going to have a bad season and finish low in the Pro12, so we may as well finish low in the Pro12 blooding guys who want to be here and work for next year. Also, if Hodge and his coaches are setting the wrong example in training then they have to leave Edinburgh.

I don't think Gilchrist should be captain. Time to go with McInally hooker and starting with Carmichael/McKenzie playing 5 until Bresler comes back. When Gilchrist is playing well and cuts out the penalties he can compete for a spot but he certainly does not deserve it right now.

That's fair comment. I would be very surprised if a psychologist isn't already employed. I also think Tichtheads comments are valid too
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Fordy is the best hooker Edinburgh and Scotland have at their disposal, today he outplayed his one rival for the Scotland shirt. Cochrane has better darts but doesn't have Ford's other attritbutes. I wouldn't drop Ford, no way.

Gilcho is way short of his best.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:50 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Fordy is the best hooker Edinburgh and Scotland have at their disposal, today he outplayed his one rival for the Scotland shirt. Cochrane has better darts but doesn't have Ford's other attritbutes. I wouldn't drop Ford, no way.

The lineout was poor, the scrum was even and Ford got sat down by Strauss and Dunbar at different points. He's had a good season but not a good game today and Brown didn't look great either. Anyway, does the leadership and dynamism you get from Rambo add more to the team than a steady Ross Ford set piece?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:55 pm

Tichtheid wrote:Fordy is the best hooker Edinburgh and Scotland have at their disposal, today he outplayed his one rival for the Scotland shirt. Cochrane has better darts but doesn't have Ford's other attritbutes. I wouldn't drop Ford, no way.

Did he hell. Ford was clear leader after the AIs but not anymore.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:01 pm

hp18 wrote:

Brown's darts were awful, compared to Ford's being not great, Brown went backwards in the scrum where his pack coughed up penalties, possession and bragging rights. Ford carried better and was immense in defence. He out played Brown.
Let's see how Cotter rated them.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:18 pm

hp18 wrote:

Ford is still ahead but Scotland's biggest issue is definitely hooker. Brown is a better rugby player but Ford is probably a better hooker however both are iffy.

Ideally Brown or McInally really pushes on with his throwing and scrumaging this year but how long have we been saying that?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:26 pm

The lineout was poor, the scrum was even and Ford got sat down by Strauss and Dunbar at different points. He's had a good season but not a good game today and Brown didn't look great either. Anyway, does the leadership and dynamism you get from Rambo add more to the team than a steady Ross Ford set piece?

Only just saw this - the scrum was even? Did you watch the game?
Getting "sat down" is only bad if it is your own fault, I don't recall Ford being at fault but I will try to watch the game again in the next couple of days if I get the time and come back to you - I promise that I'll report back what I see as objectively as I can.

I haven't seen leadership and dynamism from Rambo for a while, I'd have Cochrane as my back up to Ford right now.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:14 am

Tichtheid wrote:

Only just saw this - the scrum was even? Did you watch the game?
Getting "sat down" is only bad if it is your own fault, I don't recall Ford being at fault but I will try to watch the game again in the next couple of days if I get the time and come back to you - I promise that I'll report back what I see as objectively as I can.

I haven't seen leadership and dynamism from Rambo for a while, I'd have Cochrane as my back up to Ford right now.

Maybe we had the upper hand overall but they won some key penalties so I think even is about fair. I'd rather have our props than theirs but on the day I don't think the scrum was a weapon for either team and we need it to a weapon.

McInally hasn't had the best season to be fair. The question has to be asked why are McInally and Gilchrist the captains if they don't seem to show much leadership? Coman going may have been a blow but I don't think he'd play considering the backrow we have.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:46 am

Maybe we had the upper hand overall but they won some key penalties so I think even is about fair. I'd rather have our props than theirs but on the day I don't think the scrum was a weapon for either team and we need it to a weapon.

As I said before I'll watch it again, but my recollection just now is that after a couple of early penalties it was all us in terms of our front row going forward and/or winning penalties, until the ref did what refs do and gave a free kick to the defending team to get away from the scrum situation after a couple of resets when they couldn't take the weight and were just crumpling - we were on their 5m line at the time, it was a scunner of a decision.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby OldTomMorris on Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:38 pm

My first Post after reading this forum for years....agreeing and disagreeing quietly....but enough now here's my 2p worth.

I disagree entirely with the original comments, Player selection and coaches part at least......tactics is up for discussion.

The selection initially before the season started of the duel captaincy shows a lack of trust and leadership from the coaching staff, and whist I already hear the Solly haters blaming him, I'm sure Hodge and Scott had an input.
Grant Gilchrist and Stuart McInally are not offerering the leadership required for a team, amateur or professional and would fail to shine amongst the players of the Premiership on current form. Not only did they get it wrong picking two captains, they didn't even pick the right ones.

Leadership on and off the pitch........this is the problem. Fix that, change the culture, win some games.
OldTomMorris
Embra Debut

Postby djphilp on Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:04 am

Tichtheid wrote:Connacht won last year's title, yes with a bit of luck in the timing that got them off to a good run, but the real reason was Lam and his team - the whole ethos came from him and what he built on the foundations that Elwood laid down.

There in lies our problem. Nobody has laid down any foundations at Edinburgh.

Townsend, who most doubted when first appointed due to his less than encouraging previous record, flourished as a coach at Glasgow because of the foundations that Lineen had laid down. Just like Lam, who had been less successful in his previous coaching incarnations at The Blues, benefitted from the foundations that Elwood built.

We need to rip up the current blueprint of trying to build from the top down and actually lay down some foundations that can be built upon. We could do worse than bring in Lineen, if he'd want it, and give him time to build a club ethos like he did at Glasgow.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:15 am

Tichtheid wrote: Only just saw this - the scrum was even? Did you watch the game?

It's time to pull the plug on the Rambo hooker experiment. He is too tall to hook the ball and it's still his play in the loose that's his strong point. It will never be about set pieces for him. We wouldn't lose anything by giving George Turner and Cochrane some game time.
macdone
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum