2017 surely can’t be as bad as 2016?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2017 surely can’t be as bad as 2016?

Postby biffer on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:59 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I'm not that bothered about the Champions Cup for next year, we're not a Champions Cup team so I think it would be papering over some seismic cracks to qualify and we'd just get battered every week anyway.

For me, the rest of the season is just all about building for next year. I'm in two minds with Hodge because he is showing some progression and tactics variation at times, he has overseen some of the best performances we've had in a while but he's also failed to sort out the clear mindset problems with the squad. I really think Edinburgh is too comfortable and we need that change in culture - hopefully Myreside will help but the buck stops with the coaches.

I just want to see consistent performances and a platform for a really good year next year. I'd want to see the player's improving combinations and individually and the move to Myreside a success.

I'm just looking for a weekend in France in mid May
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:I'm not that bothered about the Champions Cup for next year, we're not a Champions Cup team so I think it would be papering over some seismic cracks to qualify and we'd just get battered every week anyway.

And despite that, Champions Cup must be our target:

1- Scottish rugby needs money, and Champions Cup's qualification brings that.
2- We'll be a Champions Cup team only when we'll earn the qualification for it and play it. No more, no less.
3- Some games might be hard, but exciting too and that's where we want to be.
4- If coaches or players cant' cope with it, they're not the right men for us: that must be our standard!
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:48 pm

germain wrote:

And despite that, Champions Cup must be our target:

1- Scottish rugby needs money, and Champions Cup's qualification brings that.
2- We'll be a Champions Cup team only when we'll earn the qualification for it and play it. No more, no less.
3- Some games might be hard, but exciting too and that's where we want to be.
4- If coaches or players cant' cope with it, they're not the right men for us: that must be our standard!

I'm never sure how to feel about Edinburgh, just when I think I have it figured out we go and beat Quins away - the first team this season to do that! It's maddening.

I agree that Champions Cup is the standard and the aim of every season. However, we started this season firing our coach after an awful start so we're playing catch up. Would be some achievement if a rookie head coach lead us to the top 6 after a horror start to the season so I wouldn't be too disappointed should this season be a building year. We need to go on a big run when our best players are with Scotland.

Next year - no mitigation, top 6 or bust.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:36 am

Top 6 already seems out of reach.
But not the Champions Cup yet, as we can finish 7th (or even 8th) and play the qualifying play-offs.
To finish ahead of Cardiff and Connacht will be difficult, but that's my target.
Get that (plus, of course, a challenge cup final) and I will be satisfied of the season.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm

top 7 qualify for champions cup automatically, 8th and 9th from Pro12 into play offs, Draw has just been made as per below. Or does one of the 7 have to be Italian?
Chances of ER finishing 10th this year... :roll:

"A draw has taken place for the play-off matches to determine which club secures the 20th place in next season's Champions Cup.

Four clubs will battle it out over the last two weekends in May with the winner joining the six clubs from the Aviva Premiership and the TOP 14, and the seven clubs from the Guinness PRO12, which qualify automatically through their league positions.

Following the draw, the seventh-ranked club from the Premiership will have home advantage against the ninth-ranked club from the PRO12 in Play-off 1, and the seventh-ranked club from the TOP 14 will have home advantage against the eighth-ranked club from the PRO12 in Play-off 2. The matches are scheduled for the weekend of 19/20/21 May.

The draw also determined that the winner of Play-off 1 will have home advantage in the Play-off final which will be staged on the weekend of 26/27/28 May.

Click here for full details of qualification for the 2017/18 season

Champions Cup play-offs

19/20/21 May
Play-off 1: Premiership (seventh-ranked club) v PRO12 (ninth-ranked club)
Play-off 2: TOP 14 (seventh-ranked club) v PRO12 (eighth-ranked club)

26/27/28 May
Play-off Final: winner Play-off 1 v winner Play-off 2
(Winner of Play-off 1 will have home advantage)

The winner of the final will take the 20th place in the 2017/18 Champions Cup.

The remaining 18 clubs from the Aviva Premiership, the Guinness PRO12 and the TOP 14 which have not qualified for the Champions Cup will play in the 2017/18 Challenge Cup. The 19th and 20th places will go to the two Challenge Cup Qualifying Competition finalists."
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:04 pm

It's the 7th and 8th in the league as an Italian team has to qualify as one of the 7 automatics. So we'd need to make up 15 points on Cardiff in 5 games. Doubtful.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Given we have accumulated a shockingly poor 22 league points in 17 matches so far yes that would appear highly unlikely. Can we score 15 points in a match? well maybe on a good day.

We have someone managed to win more matches in our 6 European games (5) than we have in our 17 league matches so far, having won only 4, with only 5 league matches left it looks like we are relatively secure in a not so nail biting fight for 9th and 10th place with the Dragons.

We managed an equally heady 9th place finish last season with 54 points (having won 11 games), but as above we have amassed only 22 points to date this season and will maybe struggle to break 30 points given our remaining fixtures.

Not much for us to play for other than any remaining pride but we may possibly influence other battles (top Italian, top 4, top 6) depending on what games we win or lose by capitulation.

What a truly SteveWalsh league season it has been.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby jodo on Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:48 pm

We'll just need to win the Challenge Cup and take the Pro 12 9th seed spot. Even then we'd probably have to beat two decent team's in the playoffs.
jodo
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Lets have a real bash at La Rochelle in the cup, you never know we might spring a surprise, but otherwise lets just pretend this season never happened and start planning for next season. Its gone.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:15 pm

doedin wrote:Lets have a real bash at La Rochelle in the cup, you never know we might spring a surprise, but otherwise lets just pretend this season never happened and start planning for next season. Its gone.

Again
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:11 pm

Some one mentioned the top teams. The top teams do the basics very well with intensity, physicality and pace. It's a simple game but requires basic skill execution and physical commitment. This team shows none of that and is no better than when I was a regular when corner-flag Frank was in charge. We've no backs in particular. Hookers that can't hook...And look at that try Edinburgh has just conceded at that start of the game. Lazy rugby. A European QF FFS.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:13 pm

Sweepstake on how many? DISGRACE of a team. A PROFESSIONAL team.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:37 pm

It's been worse.

Will we win a Pro12 game before the end of the season?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:47 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's been worse.

Will we win a Pro12 game before the end of the season?

It's much worse, two 5 point wins against Drags at home and Glasgow away would still see our worst ever league return - I can't be bothered to trawl through to see if that is absolutely the case, but I can't believe we have done worse than 4 wins and 23 points with two games to go.

Those who wanted rid of Solly must be very pleased with themselves.

He was no Eddie Jones but he was just about keeping a squad of journeymen competitive.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Solly still had to go but the episode has shown us he had absolutely no help from completely inept coaches I would not want to see coach a junior team.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum