2017 surely can’t be as bad as 2016?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 2017 surely can’t be as bad as 2016?

Postby biffer on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:53 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:It's been worse.

Will we win a Pro12 game before the end of the season?

It's much worse, two 5 point wins against Drags at home and Glasgow away would still see our worst ever league return - I can't be bothered to trawl through to see if that is absolutely the case, but I can't believe we have done worse than 4 wins and 23 points with two games to go.

Those who wanted rid of Solly must be very pleased with themselves.

He was no Eddie Jones but he was just about keeping a squad of journeymen competitive.

Previous worst is six wins in 11-12.

Personally I'm very glad I can't go to the last home game of the season and I've chosen not to pay forty quid to watch us being humiliated in Glasgow.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:56 pm

biffer wrote:

Personally I'm very glad I can't go to the last home game of the season and I've chosen not to pay forty quid to watch us being humiliated in Glasgow.

We could beat Dragons, but there is no way Glasgow will pass up the chance to give us a right kicking, nor should they - so most likely our worst ever return then
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
biffer wrote:

We could beat Dragons, but there is no way Glasgow will pass up the chance to give us a right kicking, nor should they - so most likely our worst ever return then

This is exactly the kind of scenario where we'll beat them
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

What, them chock full of internationals determined to skelp our airses again for us having the temerity to win the 1874 twice?

Them - a good team playing well. Us - a shower of, whatever, playing with no confidence.

Hope you're not a betting man.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:17 pm

More importantly there's a real risk of finishing 11th with the 2 Italian teams playing each other in the last game
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:49 am

Tichtheid wrote:

It's much worse, two 5 point wins against Drags at home and Glasgow away would still see our worst ever league return - I can't be bothered to trawl through to see if that is absolutely the case, but I can't believe we have done worse than 4 wins and 23 points with two games to go.

He was no Eddie Jones but he was just about keeping a squad of journeymen competitive.

It was spot on to get rid of Solomons the problem was with the gravy train replacement appointment that was made
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:52 am

GaryIPA wrote:More importantly there's a real risk of finishing 11th with the 2 Italian teams playing each other in the last game

Good, it's what we deserve
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:05 am

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

What, them chock full of internationals determined to skelp our airses again for us having the temerity to win the 1874 twice?

Them - a good team playing well. Us - a shower of, whatever, playing with no confidence.

Can't see Toonie allowing his Glasgow curtain call being a defeat to Edinburgh and I can't see the squad allowing guys like Lamont to bow out of rugby without absolutely humiliating us first. Could be 40+.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:56 am

Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Only to got it up the CraigJoubert who blame us for not making top four and want to 'bury us'
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:01 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Only to got it up the CraigJoubert who blame us for not making top four and want to 'bury us'

Glasgow aren't making the play offs, so I'd love it if we won the cup again this year. It's a big ask, but I sooooo want us to do it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am

It would be a good opportunity to show some intestinal fortitude
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:15 am

GaryIPA wrote:It would be a good opportunity to show some intestinal fortitude

The best kind of fortitude.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:40 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

I'm not pleased but honestly I don't have any regrets for Solly's departure. We already knew everything was not Solly's fault. Solly was worth 8th in the pro12 and Hodge is even worse. That's good things to know.
Yes this season is awful but damn, we will be 10th instead of 8th? Not a real problem for me if it allows our directors to have a clear picture of the situation and to take the right decisions for the coming years.
Let's Cockerill really choose his coaching staff.
Is it a problem if we finish 11th, and that we get beaten by Glasgow? Yes, of course, but I can cope with it if we are top 4 or top 6 contenders next year.
The squad is mostly built for next year. The only real thing we can improve is the coaching staff. Let's not make again the mistake that has been made since 2011.
Let's Cockerill really choose his coaching staff.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 pm

The biggest mistake was extending Solomons contract in the first place particularly if his coat was on such a shaky peg that it only took 4 games to give him his jotters. Left Hodge with a poisoned chalice and TBH he has not been up to the job and the entire squad now look to have zero confidence in themselves or in the coaching team. Solomons ran out of gas after his second year and was never going to get us higher than 8th in the league. He was slowly strangling the life out of the team and the supporters.

There are alternative models to improve the team and make the most out of the squad, look at what Lam has done at Connacht on a similar budget and probably a less talented squad. Will Cockerill be the man for us? Not sure but he has a more impressive recent CV than either Solomons or Bradley arrived with and I suspect he will give it his all, work very very hard and challenge the existing squad to man up. If he is given a budget then his reputation will give us more chance of recruiting the players we need. We can’t really afford another disastrous coaching appointment!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby zt1903 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:41 am

GaryIPA wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

It was spot on to get rid of Solomons the problem was with the gravy train replacement appointment that was made

The problem was the failure to part company at the end of last season. Doing it a few weeks into the new season instead was nuts and has led to chaos.
zt1903
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum