Sat 14 Jan 2017 - 15:00 Harlequins Away - European Rugby

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Sat 14 Jan 2017 - 15:00 Harlequins Away - European R

Postby doedin on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:48 pm

Just seen the highlights - we looked pretty good. I agree we should have had at least one other try in lead up to last penalty. Could see the players were on the bus home for the last two Quins tries. Allen (he is a winger not a centre!) jumps out the line in the lead up to their second try and lets that speed merchant prop of theirs make a line break in slow motion!

Just wish we would stop throwing so many miss passes out wide, surely better to run straight, keep the space out wide, draw defender and then pass? We have enough gas out wide to beat most teams but struggle to capitalise on it.However I'm splitting hairs now - excellent win.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:20 pm

It looks like we will finish ranked 3, which will put us up against best runner-up (which I think will be La Rochelle) in a home QF. This route would also give us a semi away to Gloucester if we progressed....

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... /rules.php
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 am

Tough QF that, they're currently second in the Top 14 just 1 point behind Clermont. Huge pack from what I've seen, love to milk scrum and maul penalties.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:54 am

Ospreys and Glaws will be favourites for the tournament. At least we have nothing to play for but pride domestically so can focus and target the Challenge Cup. Be good to have another crack at Glaws if we can put away the French. Sounds like we will need to run the legs out of them which will be entertaining!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:47 am

BigD163 wrote:
robdinsdale wrote:
BigD163 wrote:Great win.

Pleased to read Toolis getting recognition too.

I wonder if Toolis will be overlooked again this 6 Nations? He was unfortunate in the autumn, given his form. The Gray brothers will have the starting positions no doubt, but he's surely worth the bench place. Best line out operator in Scotland?

Swinson is playing very well too tbf.

I would only have a minor grumble if Swinson was on the bench. It's Cotter's preference for Gilchrist that I would have more of an issue with based on current form.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 am

If Treviso do us a favour by not conceding five match points to La Rochelle we can finish ranked 2nd by taking the full monty against Timisoara, which changes things quite a lot.

It's a big if, though, they shipped 41 points to the French side at home in the first fixture

Other than that I think we have to win by a differential of 30 more than La Rochelle do. :eek:
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:14 am

One thing that stood out for me in the highlights was CDP putting a couple of huge ruck clearances, along with a nice offload and think it was him that ran a kick back at the start of Dells try, great if he is getting back to his best as well.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:41 am

Dean ran such a lovely line for that last break in the highlights - exactly the sort of thing we should be doing more of.

Looking at it a second time he really should have popped the ball on to Hoyland rather than try the big floaty pass, if Hoyland couldn't have outrun Yarde he had two others outside him

Agree that on the limited showing CDP looked to be getting back to something like his form - Scotland have a few backrowers playing well just now.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:02 am

The Feral Goat wrote:One thing that stood out for me in the highlights was CDP putting a couple of huge ruck clearances, along with a nice offload and think it was him that ran a kick back at the start of Dells try, great if he is getting back to his best as well.

Toolis was doing a power of work in the ruck clearance stakes as well!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:20 am

Tichtheid wrote:Dean ran such a lovely line for that last break in the highlights - exactly the sort of thing we should be doing more of.

Yes, but he completly wasted it. I hope he'll learn from it for the next time: do it simply, at the right time. Easier to say in front of the TV than to do on the pitch at full speed, but nonetheless true.

The Feral Goat wrote:One thing that stood out for me in the highlights was CDP putting a couple of huge ruck clearances, along with a nice offload and think it was him that ran a kick back at the start of Dells try, great if he is getting back to his best as well.

It was definitly him, and I'm glad to see him back at 8, much more than to see Manu there, to be honest. We'll need everybody but that back-row (Bradbury - Dupreez - Watson) would have my preference (with Mata, Manu and Ritchie covering, this is quite satisfying).

McKenzie's try was something. Harlequins' defense was really poor but still, it was not done at all. Individual brilliance when scoring a try is not very usual for a second-row! He deserves to be the starter for the big games. His duo with Toolis seems to work well, and he was in the XV for all our best wins (Ulster home for example or Zebre away).
germain
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:25 am

Sorry Tichtheid but I think you'll find Glaws and Ospreys will be seeded 1st and 2nd assuming they get TBP wins. We'll be third seed if we also get a TBP victory.
La Rochell could only finish 6th seeds at best with a TBP as the 5 pool winners take preference. This means almost certainly they will play us (if we get a TBP win on Friday ) as 3rd seed plays 6th.
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:58 am

Can anyone explain (or play deil's advocate) what Toolis did wrong in the maul for their first try? Looked like he came straight through the middle to me. Good work regardless, and did well to listen to the referee and not give away the penalty.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:30 pm

liveinhope wrote:Sorry Tichtheid but I think you'll find Glaws and Ospreys will be seeded 1st and 2nd assuming they get TBP wins. We'll be third seed if we also get a TBP victory.

You're right, I missed Glaws up at the top there.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm

Frenchy wrote:Can anyone explain (or play deil's advocate) what Toolis did wrong in the maul for their first try? Looked like he came straight through the middle to me. Good work regardless, and did well to listen to the referee and not give away the penalty.

I really don't understand how the maul is refereed, it never seems to be consistent.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:42 pm

Wottie wrote:Ospreys and Glaws will be favourites for the tournament. At least we have nothing to play for but pride domestically so can focus and target the Challenge Cup. Be good to have another crack at Glaws if we can put away the French. Sounds like we will need to run the legs out of them which will be entertaining!

If I'm honest, I fear more La Rochelle than Gloucester. Tough run anway. But this is the road to Murrayfield. And we won't have many occasion in this second part of the season to go to there!
I'll add tough, but exciting, and that's what we want.
germain
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum