Skelton yellow

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Skelton yellow

Postby doedin on Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Skelton gets a yellow for swinging arm and slap into face of Scarlets player. Compare it to the red that Burleigh got against the french and ignoring the histrionics of Pape you have to question the consistency of the refereeing? TBH the ref in the Scarlets game got it correct.
doedin
World Cup Star

Re: Skelton yellow

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Most bizarre bit of reffing was in the Racing vs Leicester game - Racing kick the ball to the Leicester full back, who controls the bouncing ball with his foot and then his stomach. Ref calls it a knock on, saying that the ball had come off the full back's chest! I know rugby can be a complex game to referee, but the rule about what constitutes a knock on is pretty simple, and to the best of my knowledge has to involve the ball hitting a player's hand or arm.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Did you not notice that Skelton was wearing a Sarries top and therefore there is an automatic downgrading of any offence?

Burleigh didnt give the ref any choice, I didnt see it but it sounds like the Sarries ref bottled it. Connor Murray was very lucky to miss with his attmpted slap last night too, although I would have thought a yellow would have been max.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:04 pm

Was just about to post the same.

What was strange was that the TMO made the point that it was an open hand!!!

If that was the case PB shouldn't have been RC'd.

I thought that the new directives were clear any contact with the face was a RC.

The commentators don't help as they were saying it was the right decision. At the start they were debating whether it was a card! There are quite a few referees (I know they have a very difficult job), who always favour the perceived better side. We experience that a lot at Pro 12 and international level.

Just seen the YC for Sale! The Toulon player looked to jump (leave feet) before the tackle! that was why the player flipped over.
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:47 pm

De'il's advocate: Skelton doesn't appear to be trying to strike anyone, he's just flailing an arm. Might be the difference between him and Burleigh, who deliberately hit Pape in the face.

Video here: https://vine.co/v/53jt9v06vg1
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:46 am

I'd like to compare that incident with the Stuart Hogg one against Munster. To me there was more intent by the Saracens player yet he does not get red carded. Inconsistent refereeing! These amendments and how they are interpreted will cost more teams results just like Saturday with Glasgow.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:55 pm

doedin wrote:Skelton gets a yellow for swinging arm and slap into face of Scarlets player. Compare it to the red that Burleigh got against the french and ignoring the histrionics of Pape you have to question the consistency of the refereeing? TBH the ref in the Scarlets game got it correct.

Letter of the law yes, but Davies was faking it even more than Pape. I rate him as a player, but he was shameful.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Fanscene on Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:36 pm

Agree with Frenchy.

It's the letter of the law thing that's frustrating!

Yes he exaggerated a la Pape, but it's still a red.

Intent has been taken out of the law. Hines I think got a red card for using his foot to release himself from a Welsh player pulling him off the ball in 2006-is

Also it was the refs 'it's an open hand' what was the difference. burleigh wasn't the best thing to do, but I thought the swinging arm was aimed at hitting anything. A swinging arm in a tackle is now a red (I may be mistaken on that)
Fanscene
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum