Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:50 am

macdone wrote:Say what you like about our fans but do you think Glasgow would be attracting 5k + if they had our level of success? We have had to feed on scraps for the last 20 years. The time we got to the Heineken QF 37k people turned up and there was no lack of atmosphere. Likewise for the Challenge Cup final we took a big noisy crowd to London - there was even singing. A bit of success would do wonders for crowd noise.

I do agree a singing section would be a good idea. Most football clubs have an area or stand which attracts noisier supporters. For those who have been to Easter Road you will have seen the difference the Section 43 singing section has made to the atmosphere. Definitely worth doing.

Indeed. The crowd Glagow had for there last home game the season they came last was about 1.5k. I'd disagree we've had scraps for 20 years though. Success on the field will be reflected in the crowd. While there was lots to like on Friday I just felt it was like back being in the 90s again
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:33 am

GaryIPA wrote:While there was lots to like on Friday I just felt it was like back being in the 90s again

Why is that necessarily a bad thing? Friday was very different from when Edinburgh last used Myreside as a home ground, and much better imho. But on the wider point, things that are seen as 'old fashioned' or 'traditional' are not necessarily bad if they still work. IMHO taking Edinburgh back to a traditional club ground updated for a modern audience recognises reality and is a step forward.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:47 pm

Don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet, but SHC's pass for Hoyland's try was excellent.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:50 pm

Frenchy wrote:Don't think I've seen it mentioned here yet, but SHC's pass for Hoyland's try was excellent.

Any linky for the game anyone?
KenMavor
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:42 am

My 2ps worth on the evening, thought overall ER and GWC did a pretty good job for first time out.

Myreside experience

Getting to the game/Pre-match – group of us met at a pub at Haymarket to pick up those travelling in by train and then got a 44 bus up to Slateford Road about 1845 bus took less than 10 minutes to get to Slateford Road and it was then less than a 15 minute walk up to the ground. Managed to get a beer and a burger at ground before KO. Will perhaps try park and ride or walk and ride from Murrayfield next time out.

Match – We stood top of the terrace, view was pretty good but could not see North East corner due to TV stand, assume we would have been able to down at the front rope. There was a bit of a buzz around the ground pre-match but this fizzled out after we got a couple of tries and were comfortable, you could certainly hear the different stands cheering at different points though, and would expect the atmosphere to be better with more tension in the match. Toilets as mentioned were not great, large queues on the terrace side, female element of the group were particularly unimpressed. Pitch looked to hold up pretty well but not sure it would do so had we had much rain in the run up.

Post match – 4 of us headed to the Castle bar for a few more beers, others headed back to city centre/Haymarket those heading for the train managed to get back down to the station and catch train just after 2200 not sure when match finished but thought that was pretty good timing wise. Castle Bar was not bad, got served quick enough good size for the amount of people that headed across on Friday.

Overall – Pretty good first experience with room to improve, ER did post a number to text feedback to both positive and negative. If this is to be a permanent move and development two things for me that need addressed are the toilet facilities and more spectator space on the terrace side but they are both substantial developments.

Match itself – Professional if unspectacular for a 7 try performance. Thought It looked like their physicality took us by surprise early on, at the first scrum (I think) we went backwards pretty quick, but as soon as we got a couple of tries things settled down. No real momentum or pace in the game which did us no favours but scored some good tries notably DuPreez and Hoylands among other nice bits of play. Perhaps it was an easy night for decision making but I thought Cochrane led the team well and Ritchie did a lot of work tackling and at the breakdown. Overall good result but will need to be a lot sharper and more clinical against Munster in two weeks.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:35 pm

Agree there was a bit of buzz around the ground until the first couple of tries and a fair bit of noise for the first one with some flag-waving thrown in. Hopefully, tighter more intense games will generate a bit more noise throughout. I would like to see the team jog round the pitch before heading down the tunnel, after warm-up, to try and generate some feedback from the crowd. I've seen other teams milk a reaction/get the crowd going with this tactic (Glasgow and Munster spring to mind). It's a two-way thing.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:08 pm

Meant to say in earlier post (before I got bogged down on the Myreside feedback), I thought young Carmichael made a real impact when he came off the bench.

I know we are talking about a tiring, physical, part time side but he looked quick, dynamic and keen to get involved and on the ball. He had a few great carries and broke the gain line repeatedly. We definitely have a keeper there and I'm looking forward to seeing a bit more of him in the back half of the season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby jkay on Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:56 am

Does anyone know of a link where I can see footage of this game? i'd like to see how myreside looks. Thanks
jkay
Embra Debut

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:21 am

Edinburgh rugby crowds have always been subdued no matter where the game is. Let's see how it goes with a proper contest.

It was fairly clear, the seats being unreserved outside the main stand, people took the option to go wherever they pleased. Suspect more ended up on the east side than expected. Also, I think people expected the easy win. The south stand was pretty full in the first half as that was the end we played to. At half time, loads came up the other end expecting more scores.

Would be good if they moved the tv stansion back. You can't get a full view of the pitch easily from the east side.

PS the inside pop pass for the second half try was forward. Couldn't see who scored it.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 am

Le Jock Sportif wrote:PS the inside pop pass for the second half try was forward. Couldn't see who scored it.

Hoyland.

Tries can all be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/EdinburghRugby ... 448068612/

SHC's pass to Hoyland looks fine from that angle, although McCallum's to Carmichael does look suspect.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:18 pm

Camera is behind. I was in line. No matter.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum