Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

Postby robdinsdale on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:06 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Timisoara Saracens in the European Rugby Challenge Cup at Myreside tomorrow (Friday 20 January, kick-off 7.35pm)

15. Blair Kinghorn

14. Damien Hoyland
13. Michael Allen
12. Chris Dean
11. Tom Brown

10. Duncan Weir
9. Nathan Fowles

1. Allan Dell
2. Neil Cochrane CAPTAIN
3. Simon Berghan
4. Ben Toolis
5. Grant Gilchrist
6. Magnus Bradbury
7. Jamie Ritchie
8. Cornell Du Preez

Replacements

16. Stuart McInally
17. Jack Cosgrove
18. Murray McCallum
19. Lewis Carmichael
20. Viliame Mata
21. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22. Jason Tovey
23. Rory Scholes
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Re: Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

Postby germain on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Burleigh injured.
The (only) three rested men are Ford, McKenzie and Kennedy. Those are the key-men of our team :)
It could have been a good idea to rest Toolis too... Plus I think Gilchrist could be better alongside McKenzie than alongside Toolis.

Dean at 12 rather than Rasolea. Bryce must be gutted by the rotation policy.
Scholes get his second game, against the same opponent. Will it be his last time under an Edinburgh jersey as we won't meet again Timisoara this season?
germain
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:32 pm

17th consecutive start for Toolis. Would it not be more beneficial for the team in the medium to long term to finally give Carmichael a start in a game and let him have that first experience in what will be a very comfortable fixture for Edinburgh?
disco
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:36 pm

germain wrote:Burleigh injured.
The (only) three rested men are Ford, McKenzie and Kennedy. Those are the key-men of our team :)
It could have been a good idea to rest Toolis too... Plus I think Gilchrist could be better alongside McKenzie than alongside Toolis.

Scholes get his second game, against the same opponent. Will it be his last time under an Edinburgh jersey as we won't meet again Timisoara this season?

Scholes started v Blues and came off the bench against Munster as well. This will be his home debut for Embra though, after all those months with the club!
disco
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Like others, I'd probably have gone for a bit more rotation for this game. Hopefully though we can build a good enough lead early to be able to empty the bench after 40-50 minutes, which is probably the next best thing.

Anyway, here's hoping for a good bonus point win, no injuries, and a good, entertaining performance to convince people to keep coming to Myreside.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:51 pm

They still have 800 tickets to shunt so perhaps filling the team with first choice players was for on the fence punters. We should beat them very well.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:37 pm

disco wrote:
germain wrote:Burleigh injured.

Scholes started v Blues and came off the bench against Munster as well. This will be his home debut for Embra though, after all those months with the club!

You're right, but I could argue that it was before Solomons' departure. Same for Tofilau here.
Hodge's game plan is slightly different, but the rotation policy has not changed much!
In fact, I'm unfair: It has changed. Solomons put the same team for a few games, and then changed it a bit. With Hodge, we have a core team that is always aligned with a few adjustments at each game.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:05 pm

It is a strong team, we should win well if the away leg is anything to go on.

To be fair to Hodge he is trying to get the full time head coach job and to do that he needs to win games perhaps he would have a slightly different approach if he was secure in his role.

Also it is the first game at Myreside and we need to start well and from a PR point of view we need a strong team out. Besides he is going to be forced to use squad players through the 6N so may as well play his best players now while they are available to him.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:40 pm

I'm always protesting about Tofilau and our centre combination but I admit that I've seen recently the first game against Timisoara, and that he (Tofilau) showed nothing. Maybe those players (Bryce, Scholes, Tofilau, Northam...) don't have the talent or the right mindset and Hodge is right not to pick them. Maybe I should trust Hodge more.
On this same game against Timisoara, Northam looked good, but he's now injured.
Anyway, I don't think resting Toolis during this game would have weakened our chance to get a BP win...
germain
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:10 pm

What was the final capacity for the trial period, I can see at the start the figure was “about 6000” but was this revised down a bit with the smaller stands to accommodate local residents?

Even so with 800 tickets left must be 4200 - 4500ish sold which is pretty good I am not sure we would have got that many at Murrayfield.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:05 pm

Agree with others that I'd have preferred Carmichael to get a start. He looks pretty pacy for a lock, and made an impression in the last game against the Romanians iirc.

Also a bit worried about Dell starting so much, recognise we're down on numbers, but surely he's going to be starting in the 6N, is it really necessary to have him here?

Either way, it's a good strong team and should give us a comfortable win and a home QF.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:24 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:What was the final capacity for the trial period, I can see at the start the figure was “about 6000” but was this revised down a bit with the smaller stands to accommodate local residents?

Even so with 800 tickets left must be 4200 - 4500ish sold which is pretty good I am not sure we would have got that many at Murrayfield.

The plan shows there are 4,811 seats in the 3 stands (with the smaller/ reduced end stand accommodating the Macron Shop now taking only 866), so the capacity really depends on what they think they can accommodate standing opposite the main stand. A bit under 1,200 doesn't sound wrong when you see how many people stand pitchside at Murrayfield so I think the capacity may well be 6,000 as stated.

I'm picking up on a good few people going to this game who didn't go to Murrayfield so let's hope the performance, experience and entertainment value is right up there and we retain these new supporters.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 pm

No disrespect to the Romanians, but any team that we field should be able to win this game.

Hodge has to win this one convincingly, so I can see why there aren't too many changes from last week. As others have noted, he clearly doesn't have much time for our fringe back line players. If Tofilau, Rasolea, and Helu can't make the squad for this game, it's hard to see what future they have here. Interesting that Fowles starts at 9; I like Fowles, but it must be a blow to SHC that he's on the bench. Hodge has not forgiven him for his lethargic show against Glasgow, it seems.

Looking forward to the occasion, and with a dry night forecast standing on the terracing looks an attractive option.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:49 pm

The capacity of around 6,000 is right I think, but if memory serves correctly 5,500 was mentioned for the Timisoara game. Would speculate this was to a) make sure we had a chance of nearly or actually selling out the first game, bearing in mind the quality of opposition and reliance on home support; b) to test that the standing capacity works in practice and is deemed safe. That being the case, would expect capacity to rise for the Munster game all being well. 5000 for.this game would be a fantastic effort.

Toolis 17 starts in a row is a incredible statistic - well deserved selection for Scotland too. Tovey called him our standout player this season - hard to.argue, although Watson, Bradbury, Kinghorn have a shout.

Really hoping we can bring the noise tomorrow night, would be great to hear everyone make an effort - new ground, new start, throw off the library-style inhibitions. A few renditions of 'Big Bergy's on fire (your loosehead is terrified)' after a few pints would go down a treat I reckon...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Surprised that Anton Bressler, isn't among the replacements for this game, especially as he was lined up to play for Melrose last weekend. Thought this game and with respect to the opposition would have been ideal to give him 20/25 mins to help with some needed game time.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum