Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

Postby stef.s on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:07 am

Frenchy wrote:That's a home QF guaranteed too. Will be seeded either 2nd or 3rd, depending on how Gloucester get on at home to Bayonne today. If Gloucester get a BP win, they'll be seeded 2nd. If they win without a BP, it'll be on points difference (we currently have an 11pt advantage). If they don't win, we'll be 2nd.

So we'll get either the best or second best runner up - most likely to be La Rochelle, but could be Harlequins or Blues. Dragons possible, but very unlikely.

I believe tournament rules don't allow us to meet Quins in the QF
stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby liveinhope on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 am

Eh? Whilst agree would be annoying am 99.999999% sure nothing in the rules about that.
Equally may well work out Glasgow could play Munster (away) in QF's if they get through today
liveinhope
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:22 am

stef.s wrote:
Frenchy wrote:That's a home QF guaranteed too. Will be seeded either 2nd or 3rd, depending on how Gloucester get on at home to Bayonne today. If Gloucester get a BP win, they'll be seeded 2nd. If they win without a BP, it'll be on points difference (we currently have an 11pt advantage). If they don't win, we'll be 2nd.

So we'll get either the best or second best runner up - most likely to be La Rochelle, but could be Harlequins or Blues. Dragons possible, but very unlikely.

I believe tournament rules don't allow us to meet Quins in the QF

Don't think so; happened in last year's Champions Cup when Leicester played Stade in the QFs.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:42 am

bignose wrote:Official attendance was 5000+. Not convinced myself, but that's what they said. The stand behind the goal on the south side of the ground was far from full.

Strange atmosphere. Not really any more noise than at Edinburgh and - if we're being honest - the same old problem that there's only any real noise when something happens. Having said that, the opposition and the style of the game did nothing to get the crowd involved. Seemingly every contact resulted in a lengthy delay while one or other team patched up a player and then we went all over again. Most of the noise was the gently hum of conversation rather than any actual engagement.

The official standing capacity is about 1000, but I reckon there was nearer 1500 standing on the east side. Hence some of the empty seats.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:53 am

biffer wrote:
bignose wrote:Official attendance was 5000+. Not convinced myself, but that's what they said. The stand behind the goal on the south side of the ground was far from full.

Strange atmosphere. Not really any more noise than at Edinburgh and - if we're being honest - the same old problem that there's only any real noise when something happens. Having said that, the opposition and the style of the game did nothing to get the crowd involved. Seemingly every contact resulted in a lengthy delay while one or other team patched up a player and then we went all over again. Most of the noise was the gently hum of conversation rather than any actual engagement.

The official standing capacity is about 1000, but I reckon there was nearer 1500 standing on the east side. Hence some of the empty seats.

I think all the seats would have been occupied if it had been raining. Lots of people took advantage of the good weather to enjoy standing on the terracing, which is a better vantage point to see the game than from behind the goals IMO. On a wet and windy night it will be quite a different experience.

Enjoyed the occasion, and a professional enough performance by the team. Timisoara were a big, physical side, and credit to them that they never gave up, but it was a comfortable win from early on. Lots of plus points about the new venue, and I think it's going to be a lot better for us than BTM if we get to stay there beyond this season. Regarding the crowd noise, for lots of people going to the games it is a social occasion, me included. I meet up with some friends and we have a chat and watch the game. Sometimes the games are more engaging, sometimes less so, and last night was one of the latter, so it didn't surprise me that there was lots of chatting going on. As long as people enjoy their night out at the rugby they will keep coming back, which is what matters to the club. When we get to the games when there is really something at stake there will be more noise, I'm sure. Edinburgh folk are not that different from the rest of humanity.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:22 pm

MightyDrumbeat wrote:I thought that Jonny and the backstage team did a great job getting the ground ready. I was sitting in the south stand and felt a real buzz in the lead up to kick off. Then it fell flat. I am hoarse from shouting on the team, as is my friend who was sitting next to me. We stamped our feet when we scored, cheered on the team as much as our throats would let us, we applauded as much as we could and generally tried to create atmosphere. We even offered helpful suggestions to the referee. I think there were a couple of people nearby trying the same. We were a lonely, if noisy, few. We got quite a few dirty looks from people who basically sat there and chatted to each other, or spent half the game wandering back and forward to the bar and/or toilets. Maybe we need to get all the real noisy fans in a big group, ok it will be a small group at first, and take over part of a stand and take the lead on this. Let others be the blackandredarmy we could be the Dark Army. :evil: They have called the beer tent the 'Castle' so let's call the stadium 'The Fortress' and let's take the lead.

A few notes for the club, we couldn't see the scoreboard and the clocks were far too bright and distracting. I was impressed how quickly we got in and out. I liked the fact that they closed off the road to traffic at the end of the game to make it safe and quicker to leave. I saw a couple of local residents looking out as we left. If they complain about the noise then they must have the most sensitive hearing in the world! All in all I would give the club 8/10 for effort, the team 7/10 and the crowd 3/10.

Team 7/10. Really. There was little on show to make me start attending regularly again I felt Saracens dragged us down to their level the consistency thing is so frustrating.

The crowd is the crowd. I never really see much difference between Murrayfield and smaller grounds. It's what's on the pitch that matters. I wasn't at the Quinn's home game but suggest the atmosphere was better there. There is potential but we need better performances on field to realise. Edinburgh fans have always on the whole been subdued

Myreside was ok. Some points

Why couldn't the control centre be put in a corner to increase standing?
Don't sit at the front of the temp strands. You'll get blown away by the PA
I'm not convinced the grass areas will put up with heavy traffic in wet weather

What was the shuttle bus service like, anyone?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:43 pm

MightyDrumbeat wrote:I thought that Jonny and the backstage team did a great job getting the ground ready. I was sitting in the south stand and felt a real buzz in the lead up to kick off. Then it fell flat. I am hoarse from shouting on the team, as is my friend who was sitting next to me. We stamped our feet when we scored, cheered on the team as much as our throats would let us, we applauded as much as we could and generally tried to create atmosphere. We even offered helpful suggestions to the referee. I think there were a couple of people nearby trying the same. We were a lonely, if noisy, few. We got quite a few dirty looks from people who basically sat there and chatted to each other, or spent half the game wandering back and forward to the bar and/or toilets. Maybe we need to get all the real noisy fans in a big group, ok it will be a small group at first, and take over part of a stand and take the lead on this. Let others be the blackandredarmy we could be the Dark Army. :evil: They have called the beer tent the 'Castle' so let's call the stadium 'The Fortress' and let's take the lead.

A few notes for the club, we couldn't see the scoreboard and the clocks were far too bright and distracting. I was impressed how quickly we got in and out. I liked the fact that they closed off the road to traffic at the end of the game to make it safe and quicker to leave. I saw a couple of local residents looking out as we left. If they complain about the noise then they must have the most sensitive hearing in the world! All in all I would give the club 8/10 for effort, the team 7/10 and the crowd 3/10.

Think you've nailed it on the /10s. The game was stop-start, result a foregone conclusion so I get that it wasn't a nail-biter. However, we scored 7 tries, yet the crowd reaction was akin to someone looking up from their newspaper and nodding approval. There is a responsibility on the supporters to play a role beyond simply turning up - a 'noisy zone' could be an idea to start with, like the Highlanders' Zoo area.

The Munster game might admittedly be a better barometer though. I hope the club pushes it strongly and early so we fill Myreside with Embra fans more so than Irish - it will be a sellout for sure.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:50 pm

GaryIPA wrote:What was the shuttle bus service like, anyone?

We used the ST one at Napier. Great on the way in but surprised that the last shuttle back left at 22.00. Didn't notice when the game actually finished but probably about 21.20 allowing for HT and the inordinate amount of stoppages so allowing for getting to the supporters tent and then to the shuttle buses, you basically can't go for the after match in The Castle! That's not going to work for ST holders so probably need to have a last / late bus leaving say 23.00 that could drop off at Napier and then go on to Murrayfield for so long as they run these P&R facilities.

As it happened last night, the last bus to Murrayfield leaves at 22.30 and two girls from the Club (didn't get their names) came along and seeing there were people looking to go to both venues, took the people going to Murrayfield in their cars leaving the bus to reroute and drop us off at Napier. Thanks to those girls, whoever they were. Saved us a long walk!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:59 pm

We did P & R from Mfield, worked fine, entrance queuing needs a tweek, maybe better signage/stewards? the grass around the barriers will soon be mud in wet weather but overall ok, big screen needs to go one side or the other of the lighting post, and agree about the coaches box although it also is a camera post. toilets and bar I can't comment on, designated driver (always) so no drink for me :roll:, maybe the rest of the crowd should have a drink or two to loosen their tongues, me I always make a noise, sober or not cause the atmosphere is not building yet, must be Edinburgh rugby fans cause the footy guys make plenty sound. Need more fifers over(can I say that?) looking forward to the next game maybe the Irish will help.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:13 pm

New Gunner wrote:

Think you've nailed it on the /10s. The game was stop-start, result a foregone conclusion so I get that it wasn't a nail-biter. However, we scored 7 tries, yet the crowd reaction was akin to someone looking up from their newspaper and nodding approval. There is a responsibility on the supporters to play a role beyond simply turning up - a 'noisy zone' could be an idea to start with, like the Highlanders' Zoo area.

The Munster game might admittedly be a better barometer though. I hope the club pushes it strongly and early so we fill Myreside with Embra fans more so than Irish - it will be a sellout for sure.

So if we are 7/10 playing a pub team do You want to rate glasgow?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
New Gunner wrote:

So if we are 7/10 playing a pub team do You want to rate glasgow?

The famous Spinal Tap 11, of course. And before you point out that 10 is the maximum, your use of upper case suggests I am now a deity and so I make the rules :lol:
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:45 pm

Admin
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:10 am

Am I right in thinking that there's another ground in Edinburgh that's being redeveloped and Edinburgh have put in for a ground share in it, so once it's complete you'll play your games there instead?
David990
International

Postby Weegie on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:24 am

I have always liked Murrayfield, but there was much more buzz around Myreside. It was not the most exciting game by a long way, and lot needs tweaked at Myreside, but so far, I was pleasantly surprised and I like it.

It was never going to be perfect first up, but everyone I met there, and spoke to on Saturday as we watched our sons, was positive about the move. The toilets and catering will not cope with a game packed out to full capacity, but as long as last night is used as a pilot and this and other improvements are identified and acted on, I feel very positive about this.

That was a decent first step, hopefully with more exciting games the crowd gets more involved and the positivity there seems to be for the move grows from here on.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:52 am

Say what you like about our fans but do you think Glasgow would be attracting 5k + if they had our level of success? We have had to feed on scraps for the last 20 years. The time we got to the Heineken QF 37k people turned up and there was no lack of atmosphere. Likewise for the Challenge Cup final we took a big noisy crowd to London - there was even singing. A bit of success would do wonders for crowd noise.

I do agree a singing section would be a good idea. Most football clubs have an area or stand which attracts noisier supporters. For those who have been to Easter Road you will have seen the difference the Section 43 singing section has made to the atmosphere. Definitely worth doing.
macdone
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum