Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Embra vs Timisoara Saracens, 20 January @ Myreside

Postby Frenchy on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:11 pm

Ha, got a free ticket! Let's do this.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:03 pm

How'd it go?
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:07 pm

hp18 wrote:How'd it go?

Easy and dull
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:12 pm

GaryIPA wrote:

Easy and dull

Figured as much. I was actually wondering more about the stadium.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:20 pm

hp18 wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Easy and dull

There was a Delorian parked outside
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 pm

Official attendance was 5000+. Not convinced myself, but that's what they said. The stand behind the goal on the south side of the ground was far from full.

Strange atmosphere. Not really any more noise than at Edinburgh and - if we're being honest - the same old problem that there's only any real noise when something happens. Having said that, the opposition and the style of the game did nothing to get the crowd involved. Seemingly every contact resulted in a lengthy delay while one or other team patched up a player and then we went all over again. Most of the noise was the gently hum of conversation rather than any actual engagement.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:27 pm

hp18 wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

Easy and dull

Pretty good start - the queues for the portaloos were taking the p!ss a bit(!), minor irritations like that. In general, good atmosphere but the ga,e didn't really spark the crowd. Never hit the heights, Embra always in control and did a professional job. Good tries, especially Du Preez, Kinghorn (interception), Tovey (nice jink through) and Hoyland (likewise). Timisoara looked like they dropped the ball on the lie a couple of times so didn't get their try, which was a shame in a way as they put a lot of effort in. They were camped in the Ed 22 for most of. The last 10 minutes.

The official crowd was 5250, so 250 no-shows from te sellout ticket sales. On that basis, I would say there's potential for 5750-6000 in current configuration, and if demand holds up they could properly terrace the east grass bank, or even a steep temp stand - that would probably add another 500.

Napier park n ride worked like clockwork for me, but might see if I can park somewhere en route and walk the rest next time, for a bit more flexibility. Had the kids with me so no supporters bar this time.

All in all, a positive first step but still felt a little too much like the library - God, Edinburgh folk are reserved....
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:33 pm

I quite enjoyed it, I think it was better than BTM would've been. There's far more potential for a good atmosphere but Timisoara hardly inspired anyone. Vs Munster it should be good!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:37 pm

Can't argue with the result, and you can only beat what's in front of you and all that, but the whole thing felt a bit meh. Wonder if it was just because most folk assumed we would win and so there was no sense of anticipation/tension/excitement?

In conclusion, if you build it, they will come ... they just won't cheer.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:42 pm

bignoswase wrote:Official attendance was 5000+. Not convinced myself, but that's what they said. The stand behind the goal on the south side of the ground was far from full.

Strange atmosphere. Not really any more noise than at Edinburgh and - if we're being honest - the same old problem that there's only any real noise when something happens. Having said that, the opposition and the style of the game did nothing to get the crowd involved. Seemingly every contact resulted in a lengthy delay while one or other team patched up a player and then we went all over again. Most of the noise was the gently hum of conversation rather than any actual engagement.

Don't think I was the only one who shifted from the South to North stand at half time, and presume others went for the standing, on the assumption that action would mainly be at that end in the 2nd half.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:29 am

Frenchy wrote:
bignoswase wrote:Official attendance was 5000+. Not convinced myself, but that's what they said. The stand behind the goal on the south side of the ground was far from full.

Don't think I was the only one who shifted from the South to North stand at half time, and presume others went for the standing, on the assumption that action would mainly be at that end in the 2nd half.

Defnitely - south stand was well nigh full first half, emptied at half time, people just shifting around following the action.
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:38 am

I enjoyed it. A few tweaks will be needed. I think it's clear that people would prefer to stand at the sides rather than sit at the ends - so an east terrace development will be needed.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby MightyDrumbeat on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:12 am

I thought that Jonny and the backstage team did a great job getting the ground ready. I was sitting in the south stand and felt a real buzz in the lead up to kick off. Then it fell flat. I am hoarse from shouting on the team, as is my friend who was sitting next to me. We stamped our feet when we scored, cheered on the team as much as our throats would let us, we applauded as much as we could and generally tried to create atmosphere. We even offered helpful suggestions to the referee. I think there were a couple of people nearby trying the same. We were a lonely, if noisy, few. We got quite a few dirty looks from people who basically sat there and chatted to each other, or spent half the game wandering back and forward to the bar and/or toilets. Maybe we need to get all the real noisy fans in a big group, ok it will be a small group at first, and take over part of a stand and take the lead on this. Let others be the blackandredarmy we could be the Dark Army. :evil: They have called the beer tent the 'Castle' so let's call the stadium 'The Fortress' and let's take the lead.

A few notes for the club, we couldn't see the scoreboard and the clocks were far too bright and distracting. I was impressed how quickly we got in and out. I liked the fact that they closed off the road to traffic at the end of the game to make it safe and quicker to leave. I saw a couple of local residents looking out as we left. If they complain about the noise then they must have the most sensitive hearing in the world! All in all I would give the club 8/10 for effort, the team 7/10 and the crowd 3/10.
MightyDrumbeat
Embra Debut

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:16 am

Those clocks are normally only used during European matches - presume they're part of a sponsorship deal - so the clocks at other matches might be better.

I got in and out with no trouble whatsoever. Had a wee problem when I couldn't find a parking space inside the ground, but I found a street sign on Myreside Road to lock my bike to after about 30 secs ;)

Crowd noise is never going to happen instantly; just need to keep people coming back, keep the rugby enjoyable and keep on shouting ourselves.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:31 am

That's a home QF guaranteed too. Will be seeded either 2nd or 3rd, depending on how Gloucester get on at home to Bayonne today. If Gloucester get a BP win, they'll be seeded 2nd. If they win without a BP, it'll be on points difference (we currently have an 11pt advantage). If they don't win, we'll be 2nd.

So we'll get either the best or second best runner up - most likely to be La Rochelle, but could be Harlequins or Blues. Dragons possible, but very unlikely.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum