Nel's neck

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Nel's neck

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:14 pm

http://thescotlandteam.com/2017/01/20/w ... 6-nations/

Assume he'll get surgery this time, I wonder what it does for his contract situation? Bad news though but I've been feeling good about Berghan and McCallum's development. Also, likely no Edinburgh representative on the Lions....
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Nel's neck

Postby gowrie on Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Huge blow, and that might well rule him out of the Lions as well.

Wonder who's next in line in the squad. You'd assume Welsh, but Cotter has talked up Berghan, which might leave us with McCallum and Whyte/Bryce? to cover the 6 Nations period.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Really bad news, not sure what it means for his contract does he look at the care received and think signing on again with ER is best for him, or does he think he is a knock away from forced retirement so take the money on offer in France now (assuming it still is after a second neck injury this season). Either way bad for Nel, ER and Scotland I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

A real opportunity now for Fagerson to keep progressing and Berghan possibly to get a shot at International level which must be good for ER.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:09 pm

gowrie wrote:Huge blow, and that might well rule him out of the Lions as well.

Wonder who's next in line in the squad. You'd assume Welsh, but Cotter has talked up Berghan, which might leave us with McCallum and Whyte/Bryce? to cover the 6 Nations period.

Is Arrequi still here? We might see the lesser spotted Beavon...

As he's going to play a lot more senior rugby we really should give McCallum a new deal so he's getting paid accordingly.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:15 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
gowrie wrote:Huge blow, and that might well rule him out of the Lions as well.

Is Arrequi still here? We might see the lesser spotted Beavon...

As he's going to play a lot more senior rugby we really should give McCallum a new deal so he's getting paid accordingly.

Pretty sure Arregui's deal was until the end of January, and he's injured right now so I think we've seen the last of him.
Agree on McCallum, not fair to ask him to be in almost every squad until the end of the season on part-time wages.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:04 pm

SteveWalsh
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Assuming he has a disc injury in neck/upper spine ie C5/C6? Sounds like a disc bulging and putting pressure on nerve?

I had similar injury many years ago after playing football and heading wet ball whilst stepping into hole in pitch. No problem finishing the game but couldnt move next day, pain excruciating. GP says painkillers and collar but physio mate said no collar, minimal drugs and lots of exercise and manipulation to get disc back into correct position. In pain for 3-4 weeks, with limited movement. Took 8 - 10 weeks to get back to playing football. Luckily caught it early and after full rehab there was no requirement for surgery etc and I have had no pain since!

However the pressure and strain Nel’s neck must be under at TH prop must be huge! Unless he has done something significant and damaged the vertebra then i assume he will be on a lengthy period of rehab and exercise to resolve the issue completely and enable him to play again. Given they were unsure about the scans etc then hopefully it is not too serious and will not require surgery. Best scenario would be for him to sign new 3 year contract and then take the rest of the season off and focus on rehab and getting ready for next season. Whats the point in rushing him if he is out of 6Ns and unlike to be fit for the Lions. For his long term health and well being I hope a sensible approach to his well being can be sorted out.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 pm

Really worrying. Hope WP can rehab fully and we see another film every years of him at the top level.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:22 pm

doedin wrote:
I had similar injury many years ago after playing football .

This explains a huge amount!

Pah, Wendy baller!!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:58 am

doedin wrote:...but physio mate said no collar, minimal drugs and lots of exercise and manipulation to get disc back into correct position.

REALLY!!! :eek:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:59 pm

doedin wrote:Assuming he has a disc injury in neck/upper spine ie C5/C6? Sounds like a disc bulging and putting pressure on nerve?

I had similar injury many years ago after playing football and heading wet ball whilst stepping into hole in pitch. No problem finishing the game but couldnt move next day, pain excruciating. GP says painkillers and collar but physio mate said no collar, minimal drugs and lots of exercise and manipulation to get disc back into correct position. In pain for 3-4 weeks, with limited movement. Took 8 - 10 weeks to get back to playing football. Luckily caught it early and after full rehab there was no requirement for surgery etc and I have had no pain since!

However the pressure and strain Nel’s neck must be under at TH prop must be huge! Unless he has done something significant and damaged the vertebra then i assume he will be on a lengthy period of rehab and exercise to resolve the issue completely and enable him to play again. Given they were unsure about the scans etc then hopefully it is not too serious and will not require surgery. Best scenario would be for him to sign new 3 year contract and then take the rest of the season off and focus on rehab and getting ready for next season. Whats the point in rushing him if he is out of 6Ns and unlike to be fit for the Lions. For his long term health and well being I hope a sensible approach to his well being can be sorted out.

It's possible to resolve with physio, but given his day job and the fact he has a bulging disc I would reckon surgery is more likely. Assuming it's much the same mechanics as lower back then he could need a microdiscectomy. Effectively a bulged disc is like a cushion with the stuffing spilling out of a tear in the cover - a microdiscectomy 'shaves' the bit that's spilled out, and over 3-4 months the disc is sufficiently stable that the bulge doesn't recur. Not sure what special measures have to be put in place for a tighthead though. I was playing sport (ok I admit it, football) 4 months after surgery, but propping may be 6 months or so as a guess.

On the upside, Andy Murray had this op on his lower back and, following lengthy downtime, he seems to have managed to play at a reasonably high level since :)
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:00 pm

New Gunner wrote:
doedin wrote:Assuming he has a disc injury in neck/upper spine ie C5/C6? Sounds like a disc bulging and putting pressure on nerve?

It's possible to resolve with physio, but given his day job and the fact he has a bulging disc I would reckon surgery is more likely. Assuming it's much the same mechanics as lower back then he could need a microdiscectomy. Effectively a bulged disc is like a cushion with the stuffing spilling out of a tear in the cover - a microdiscectomy 'shaves' the bit that's spilled out, and over 3-4 months the disc is sufficiently stable that the bulge doesn't recur. Not sure what special measures have to be put in place for a tighthead though. I was playing sport (ok I admit it, football) 4 months after surgery, but propping may be 6 months or so as a guess.

On the upside, Andy Murray had this op on his lower back and, following lengthy downtime, he seems to have managed to play at a reasonably high level since :)

Dont disagree but if at all possible clinically and for his own good it would be best to avoid the surgery given the possible impact later in life. I still hope the we come to an agreement with Nel to give him proper rehab and rest for however long it takes this season so that he is fighting fit for next season on a new contract. TBH there is not a lot left to fight for this season for us and Berghan and McCallum can use the game time. If he was in England and/or France I suspect the pressure would be on the shorter term solution of surgery and less concern about breaking him over longer term?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Wullyjum on Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:07 pm

Surgery it is then, hope all went well and the rehab goes smoothly.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... ury-update
Wullyjum
Embra Debut

Postby biffer on Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:19 pm

Wullyjum wrote:Surgery it is then, hope all went well and the rehab goes smoothly.

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/17/0 ... ury-update

Yeah, here's hoping for a full recovery. Doubt he'll play this season.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Shame for him. Whilst a full recovery is the main thing, this injury has cost him a Lions spot and probably a wedge of euros.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum