Not a bad weekend for Scottish/Pro 12 rugby

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Not a bad weekend for Scottish/Pro 12 rugby

Postby doedin on Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:49 pm

Well we did the business as expected on Friday but regardless of expectations we still had to deliver the TBP win and we did that easily! However the hard work was done away against the ‘mighty' Quins. Onwards onto a well deserved home 1/4 final spot.

Just watched the Weegies go down south and absolutely destroy Leicester, it could easily have been 60+ to nil. Fantastic to see the likes of Cole, Ben and Tom Young being destroyed on the pitch and you could see in their faces they didnt like it! Easily one of the best performances from a Scottish pro team I have seen.

Reassuring to see both the Weegies and us (at Quins) winning by playing good quality rugby with pace, aggression and no small amount of skill. Also interesting to see the just how fairly one dimensional the likes of Quins and Leicester have been with too many big lumps in their teams trying to run into other big lumps. A lot of the french teams are just as bad.

Good to see both our teams making it into the knock out rounds and the Pro12 having 50% of the teams in the Champions Cup.
doedin
World Cup Star

Re: Not a bad weekend for Scottish/Pro 12 rugby

Postby biffer on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Scottish teams in Europe this season so far: played 12, won 9, 48 tries scored.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:19 pm

Glasgow were irresistible today, really terrific stuff. The Scotland camp at the start of next week will be buzzing.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:20 pm

27 minutes to go and La Rochelle are losing to Treviso. So as it stands you're getting Cardiff Blues (or Harlequins if they win in Paris tomorrow in which case you're getting a rematch...)
disco
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:28 pm

disco wrote:27 minutes to go and La Rochelle are losing to Treviso. So as it stands you're getting Cardiff Blues (or Harlequins if they win in Paris tomorrow in which case you're getting a rematch...)

24-8 to La Rochelle at the moment
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:57 pm

It's going to be La Rochelle who are flying in the Top14 so hopefully they take the Challenge Cup easy.

Watching Glasgow you see the scale of the job we have to get there. It'll take a fair few years but they can do it with the same budgets and SRU control so absolutely no excuses.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:01 pm

bignose wrote:
disco wrote:27 minutes to go and La Rochelle are losing to Treviso. So as it stands you're getting Cardiff Blues (or Harlequins if they win in Paris tomorrow in which case you're getting a rematch...)

24-8 to La Rochelle at the moment

Yep - Treviso fell apart late on. So it's La Rochelle. Does the French side have the resources to keep up their challenge in the Top 14 and target an away Challenge Cup quarter final? They've come through a weak pool - Bayonne didn't try and Treviso are Treviso.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:24 pm

By my reading of the rules, there's no way we can get a home semi-final. That's a shame (as well as being downright bizarre). QF, SF and Final all at Murrayfield would have been a nice route :)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby currie_gregor on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:42 pm

bignose wrote:By my reading of the rules, there's no way we can get a home semi-final. That's a shame (as well as being downright bizarre). QF, SF and Final all at Murrayfield would have been a nice route :)

Beat me to it!

From EPCR site: (we are Club 3 and play in QF3)

NB The format for the semi-final matches in the Challenge Cup recognises performances by clubs during the pool stages as well as the achievement of a winning a quarter-final match away from home.

The winner of QF1 will play the winner of QF2 in one semi-final, and the winner of QF3 will play the winner of QF4 in the other semi-final as follows:

Semi-final 1: winner QF1 v winner QF2
Semi-final 2: winner QF3 v winner QF4

The semi-final matches will be played at home venues, and the following clubs will have home venue advantage in their respective semi-final matches:

(a) For Semi-final 1

If the clubs ranked 1 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 1 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 1 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 4 win their QFs, the club ranked 8 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 8 and 5 win their QFs, the club ranked 5 will have home venue advantage

(b) For Semi-final 2

If the clubs ranked 3 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 2 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 3 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 7 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 2 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home venue advantage

If the clubs ranked 6 and 7 win their QFs, the club ranked 6 will have home venue advantage

Seems to be that neither clubs 3 or 4 can have home advantage in a semi final no matter what yet 1 & 2 can have a home QF & semi... :?
currie_gregor
International

Postby gowrie on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:53 pm

It does make sense if you reason it out.

If we play second seeds, then we both had home QFs, and because they were seeded higher, they earn the home SF.
If we play seventh seeds, then we have already had a home game and they haven't (and won a knockout game away), so they earn the home SF.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby David990 on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:04 am

To put it into perspective

1st November 1997: Leicester 90 Glasgow 19
21st January 2017: Leicester 0 Glasgow 43

Phenomenal.
David990
International

Postby currie_gregor on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:21 am

gowrie wrote:It does make sense if you reason it out.

If we play second seeds, then we both had home QFs, and because they were seeded higher, they earn the home SF.
If we play seventh seeds, then we have already had a home game and they haven't (and won a knockout game away), so they earn the home SF.

True, I would argue team 7 and 8 perhaps didn't deserve a home knockout game but if they have to beat team 1 or 2 then I suppose they'd have earned it!

But if everything went to plan we'd play Gloucester away in a semi final right?
currie_gregor
International

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:32 pm

currie_gregor wrote:

True, I would argue team 7 and 8 perhaps didn't deserve a home knockout game but if they have to beat team 1 or 2 then I suppose they'd have earned it!

Website indicates winner QF 3 gets a home semi
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:21 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
currie_gregor wrote:

Website indicates winner QF 3 gets a home semi

Only if the away team wins.

Home advantage is decided by:

Winning an away QF.
Then by seeding from the group stage.

If we win, we play either Gloucester or (Blues/Quins)*. If it's Gloucester, they get precedence due to their seeding, if it's (Blues/Quins), they get precedence due to playing away in the QFs.

*wikipedia hasn't been updated yet
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Last edited by GaryIPA on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum