Edinburgh - Munster 03/02/2017, Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh - Munster 03/02/2017, Myreside

Postby hp18 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Bob wrote:I find the stewards really good, but i think the organisation of the ground puts them in a tough situation some times

I saw one of the stewards getting punched after the game - it was behind the north stand i think - where they were trying to keep everyone off the grass. Some guy took exception to being told to keep to the footpath and after some words a punch was thrown. Not sure how it finished up - the guy was held and the police were called, the steward seems a bit shocked but ok.

First time i saw anything like that at a rugby match. :(

:eek: WTAF?
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:49 pm

The residents were right to be concerned about hooliganism, it seems. Hard to imagine how anyone could get that worked up about last night's game.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:04 pm

disco wrote:
doedin wrote:Couldn't get to the game tonight, at least Sky had it on the telly!

Well tonight shows we are a real 10th place team!

The only guys that have shown up well were the young guys in the front row, Kennedy and Hoyland. This was their 2nd/3rd team and we were at home and we still struggled to get even 30% possession and we were barely in their half in the 2nd half.

More capped internationals (8) and total Test caps (40) in that Munster side than in the Edinburgh one (7 and 36).

Not arguing that however it was still a selection of their 2nd and 3rd choices in many positions. The point is that if our almost 1st choice team can’t beat their 2nd/3rd team at home then we are no where near the standard required and even further away in terms of depth of the squad. Apart from Weir, that was our 1st choice back line and it did nothing of note for the whole game, albeit off limited good ball. Kennedy ended up doing ok having to run the show as Tovey went AWOL and Hoyland did well of scraps but that was about it. Do we have anyone better in the squad to come in?

In the forwards we were lacking our 1st and 2nd choice props but ironically the young guys who came in were our two best performers on the night. There was a lot of effort but little else from our more experienced guys in the pack. How many times did Cochrane miss Toolis in the line out in good positions? Our supposedly excellent back row were very poor and completely outplayed for most of the game.

Have to agree with earlier poster that we now have to question whether Scott is going to get any more out of the pack? Perhaps a change in the forwards coach might bring a difference?

Hodge doesn’t really have a lot of choice given the squad he has inherited but I was hoping for a bit more from the team than what we saw last night. Very poor!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:35 pm

Saw the incident as well the KelvinDeaker ignored several stewards asking him to keep off the grass bank at the north stand. By the time the queue moved passed he was ringed off by stewards and being restrained by other supporters. South exit is far wider and exits quicker, but i didnt think it took much longer than the rows of seats filing out of east stand murrayfield especially given there was an extra couple of thousand over most murrayfield matches. Did not require much patience really.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:29 pm

hp18 wrote:
Bob wrote:I find the stewards really good, but i think the organisation of the ground puts them in a tough situation some times

I saw one of the stewards getting punched after the game - it was behind the north stand i think - where they were trying to keep everyone off the grass. Some guy took exception to being told to keep to the footpath and after some words a punch was thrown. Not sure how it finished up - the guy was held and the police were called, the steward seems a bit shocked but ok.

Ban them
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:23 pm

Can I respectfully suggest that this is taken off the forum - why give the no to Edinburgh at Myreside contingent ammunition
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:45 pm

ratty wrote:Can I respectfully suggest that this is taken off the forum - why give the no to Edinburgh at Myreside contingent ammunition

:roll:
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:48 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
hp18 wrote:

Ban them

That's a given.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:26 pm

Martin Bell wrote:Never going to be a classic in conditions like that, but we needed to be a bit smarter. If we'd played the game in their half and remained patient in the second period, we'd have had some joy. Would have suited Weir's game more and Bleyendaal controlled field position well for them.

Munster did what Munster do and that tends to work in games like these.

I didn't have a great view but thought the pack was sound and defence was good. Like others, I thought both props played very well. We are still prone to poor execution at important moments.

Amen. However, for the last 20 we played in front of them between the two 10 metre lines. No kicking game, nothing. Needed to mix it up but not a bad performance.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Impeccable logic, as always.

Are you making a comeback as a result of the move to Mon Repos being more convenient for Chez Sportif?
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:28 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Saw the incident as well the KelvinDeaker ignored several stewards asking him to keep off the grass bank at the north stand. By the time the queue moved passed he was ringed off by stewards and being restrained by other supporters. South exit is far wider and exits quicker, but i didnt think it took much longer than the rows of seats filing out of east stand murrayfield especially given there was an extra couple of thousand over most murrayfield matches. Did not require much patience really.

I saw a bit of that too from a distance, so couldn't discern what it was about. Totally unacceptable whatever it was. I'm sure appropriate action will have been taken and it seemed to be dealt with efficiently.

Closing Myreside Road briefly to enable the crowd to disperse is an excellent idea and seems to work well. I didn't see huge queues of traffic as a result and folk seemed to get where they wanted to go quickly and easily. I do think there's a need to look at the means of getting out of the ground itself, though. A third route through the school grounds (using the 'emergency exit' perhaps), appropriately stewarded, would seem like a good idea to alleviate the crowding at the north, where the exit felt quite constrained. There is a particularly narrow gap there that could be problematic if someone were to trip.

Lots of positives elsewhere and I thought again that the catering on site was very good. I enjoyed my hog roast very much. The standing area on the East needs expanded and improved. If we stay, the TV gantry also needs to be moved back somehow. In the meantime, I wonder whether it might be worth promoting the standing area in front of the TV gantry as The Dog Pound or similar. There was plenty of helpful advice being offered to the officials and other on-field colleagues on Friday and I feel that is a public service that should be encouraged.

I will be interested to see what the pricing structure for next season will look like if we stay at Mon Repos. I'm not wild about sitting at either end, nor about paying the same for standing at the sides!
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Bob on Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Martin Bell wrote:
I will be interested to see what the pricing structure for next season will look like if we stay at Mon Repos. I'm not wild about sitting at either end, nor about paying the same for standing at the sides!

I'm the same - sat in one of the stands behind the goal for the first 10mins and then moved to pitchside standing. Not sure pitch standing will be enjoyable when the weather gets bad, at least in murrayfield there's some shelter from the rain (i'm a bit soft when it comes to standing in the cold and rain lol)
Bob
One cap wonder

Postby New Gunner on Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:57 pm

disco wrote:
doedin wrote:Couldn't get to the game tonight, at least Sky had it on the telly!

Well tonight shows we are a real 10th place team!

The only guys that have shown up well were the young guys in the front row, Kennedy and Hoyland. This was their 2nd/3rd team and we were at home and we still struggled to get even 30% possession and we were barely in their half in the 2nd half.

More capped internationals (8) and total Test caps (40) in that Munster side than in the Edinburgh one (7 and 36).

Cheers Disco, interesting stat and shows that we have lost a few to the 6N, plus injuries...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby ThomasX on Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:32 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Yes BBC scotland

Allegedly if you were to accidentally click this link you may also find a stream of the game online.

I wouldnt know as I always pay for my viewing if Im not at the game.....

http://cricfree.sc/rugby-live-streaming

Did you used this rugby stream http://www.rugbyonlinestream.com/free-rugby-stream/ they say they provide premium streaming , wanted to know about that before subscribing ..
ThomasX
Embra Debut

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum