Edinburgh - Munster 03/02/2017, Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh - Munster 03/02/2017, Myreside

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:18 pm

If reports are to be believed Grant was on pretty big money at Glasgow and depending on how these loan deals work it may make fiscal sense to offload him and take on a lower cost alternative, I presume Arrugei has headed back to Argentina now as well.

In other prop news I saw Kyle White in the supermarket at lunchtime he is still on crutches but had an Anton Bresler with him to carry his shopping. Bresler did not look to be injured think he was due to play for Melrose around the time of the Timisaora match but it was cancelled anyone know if has he played any club rugby yet?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
germain wrote:Almost our best team. We're just missing Ford, Dell, Berghan (our starting front line at the moment), Watson and Weir.
5 key players, but I think we can cope without them.
I'm glad to see Kennedy starting again. Great back-row, our usual back line (bar Weir), and a youthful front five.
Welcome Nick Beavon: a long awaited start, but you're now an Edinburgh player.
I'm really wary of this Munster side, even if it's not their first XV. I hope for a win.

They have their Irish players on the bench for impact, but if we are serious about competing next year we have to beat that Munster side. It's a big test for Hodge, Petrie and the SRU will be well aware of the line ups.

This year is not over yet!

They are missing Zebo, Earls, Keatley, Murray, Stander, Ryan ans Scannell: 7 players. That's not much more than us.
Bleyendaal and Williams are good players, as well as Taute at 15, Saili at 13 and their pack is solid with Kleyn, Foley, O'Donnoghue, O'Callaghan, Marshall, Archer...
We are waiting for a win but it's not going to be easy. I hope we'll show sign of improvements with this settled team, and have a good win.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

15th points off sixth ... This league season is not looking good. If we're in with any chance we need to pick points up from the Irish and Welsh sides without their internationals - like Munster.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:31 pm

its as good a time as any to play Munster. Stander and Murray really are their driving force so hopefully they will lack a bit of that.

The real difference for them this season is Bayendaal, he has not be spectacular but they really lacked a 10 who could control the game and vary things. Keatley is very limited.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:26 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:15th points off sixth ... This league season is not looking good. If we're in with any chance we need to pick points up from the Irish and Welsh sides without their internationals - like Munster.

We don't care about the sixth position in the league: The seventh and eighth allow to battle in the qualifying play-offs for the Champions' cup.
The seventh spot is our target (just to be better than Solomons), and it's still reachable. We'll have to win everything at home and gain some point on the road to make it, but it's doable.

dolf_lundgren wrote:The real difference for them this season is Bayendaal, he has not be spectacular but they really lacked a 10 who could control the game and vary things. Keatley is very limited.

Totally agree. I'll even add that they are, if possible, even less ambitious with the ball in hand: That's the bok touch. I'm so relieved that Solomons is gone!
germain
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:59 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:If reports are to be believed Grant was on pretty big money at Glasgow and depending on how these loan deals work it may make fiscal sense to offload him and take on a lower cost alternative, I presume Arrugei has headed back to Argentina now as well.

In other prop news I saw Kyle White in the supermarket at lunchtime he is still on crutches but had an Anton Bresler with him to carry his shopping. Bresler did not look to be injured think he was due to play for Melrose around the time of the Timisaora match but it was cancelled anyone know if has he played any club rugby yet?

He's played one game for Melrose v Watsonians so far
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:12 am

Munster fans view on the forum seems to be they think their bench will win it for them. It does look strong and Mcinally and Mata will be important here. I think they may be underestimating our front five. If Cosgrove and Mccallum do a job I think we should win. Launch CDP straight down the inside channel at Bleyendaal and see if he can tackle as well as he can control games. Some round the ankle tackling might unsettle him too. On another note is Cochrane now above Mcinally in the pecking order or is it just because of his leadership he's in. I think he's a bloody brilliant player.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:44 am

This is a test of where we are at the moment. At home to essentially a 2nd/3rd choice Munster team is a must win game. We have a fairly experienced team out apart from the props so if this team aint good enough to win then they aint good enough to see us into top 6. I suspect we will do ok up front but struggle to make inroads in the backs against a usual well organised and disciplined Munster defence. I still worry about our defensive qualities in the backs and in particular around the 10 - 12 channel. I hope for an Embra win, albeit a narrow win.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:53 am

Think McInally will be benching as likely to be on notice if Brown/Ford get injured prior to KO on Saturday.

However I think Cochrane would possibly still be there on merit, I think he is a real asset to the squad - a bit like Roddy Grant was - always delivers, always gives everything and as noted looks to be our standout leader at present. important to have his experience between Cosgrove and McCallum.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:00 pm

I hope for the "Edinburgh blitz" we've experienced in the first half-hour for the first games of Hodge's tenure (Trevise, Harlequins, Ulster)... :) I know, I'm optimistic today.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:23 pm

germain wrote:I hope for the "Edinburgh blitz" we've experienced in the first half-hour for the first games of Hodge's tenure (Trevise, Harlequins, Ulster)... :) I know, I'm optimistic today.

I'd settle for 80 minutes of discipline and concentration.

And four tries, of course.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby boorad on Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:32 pm

germain wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
germain wrote:Almost our best team. We're just missing Ford, Dell, Berghan (our starting front line at the moment), Watson and Weir.
5 key players, but I think we can cope without them.
I'm glad to see Kennedy starting again. Great back-row, our usual back line (bar Weir), and a youthful front five.
Welcome Nick Beavon: a long awaited start, but you're now an Edinburgh player.
I'm really wary of this Munster side, even if it's not their first XV. I hope for a win.

They have their Irish players on the bench for impact, but if we are serious about competing next year we have to beat that Munster side. It's a big test for Hodge, Petrie and the SRU will be well aware of the line ups.

This year is not over yet!

They are missing Zebo, Earls, Keatley, Murray, Stander, Ryan ans Scannell: 7 players. That's not much more than us.
Bleyendaal and Williams are good players, as well as Taute at 15, Saili at 13 and their pack is solid with Kleyn, Foley, O'Donnoghue, O'Callaghan, Marshall, Archer...
We are waiting for a win but it's not going to be easy. I hope we'll show sign of improvements with this settled team, and have a good win.

Hi Guys
Munster fan wishing you the best of luck tonight. Looking forward to a cracking game tonight. It should be really interesting as Munster are fielding a young team.
Ignoring recent injuries where we lost a couple (all teams have).

Of our recent starting 15 we are currently starting 3 (Kleyn, Bleyendaal, Taute)
3 returned from the irish camp and are on the bench (Kilcoyne, T ODonnell, R Scannell)
3 were injured in the irish camp this week (Peter O'Mahoney,D Ryan, Conway)
6 are in the irish squad (Scannell, Ryan, Stander, Murry, Zebo, Earls)

In the rest of the starting 23 we have 6 starting (Archer, Sali, O'Donoghue, Williams, marshell, Ronan OMahony)
1 returning from the irish camp and on the bench (Holland (frequent starter))
1 in the Irish squad (Keatley)

Reading this you would think we are going to get a hiding but we have some cracking young guys coming through. It will also be a real chance for our guys coming back from injury to find form (Foley, Sali, O'Callaghan)
Looking forward to a great game, your new stadium rocking and the best team wins. (Munster of course)
boorad
Embra Debut

Postby germain on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:23 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
germain wrote:I hope for the "Edinburgh blitz" we've experienced in the first half-hour for the first games of Hodge's tenure (Trevise, Harlequins, Ulster)... :) I know, I'm optimistic today.

I'd settle for 80 minutes of discipline and concentration.

And four tries, of course.

It's fine for me too. :D
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Anyone know if there's radio coverage?

Frankly I'll settle for not getting humped...
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes BBC scotland

Allegedly if you were to accidentally click this link you may also find a stream of the game online.

I wouldnt know as I always pay for my viewing if Im not at the game.....

http://cricfree.sc/rugby-live-streaming
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum