Edinburgh - Munster 03/02/2017, Myreside

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh - Munster 03/02/2017, Myreside

Postby Frenchy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:39 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Yes BBC scotland

Allegedly if you were to accidentally click this link you may also find a stream of the game online.

I wouldnt know as I always pay for my viewing if Im not at the game.....

http://cricfree.sc/rugby-live-streaming

Me too, of course. But that's not an option when travelling...
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:32 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Yes BBC scotland

Allegedly if you were to accidentally click this link you may also find a stream of the game online.

I wouldnt know as I always pay for my viewing if Im not at the game.....

http://cricfree.sc/rugby-live-streaming

Useful for those of us too lazy to go the extra distance to Myreside*.

At least we're not getting humped yet. The young props are showing up well, but Munster still have some quality on the pitch even without the internationals e.g. Bleyendaal.

*It is 3700km for me.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:46 pm

Peter Wright; can't quite figure out if he annoys me or not. Without seeing what he's moaning about, it's hard to know if he's talking sense , but he always sounds like he's talking SteveWalsh.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:33 pm

Couldn't get to the game tonight, at least Sky had it on the telly!

Well tonight shows we are a real 10th place team!

The only guys that have shown up well were the young guys in the front row, Kennedy and Hoyland. This was their 2nd/3rd team and we were at home and we still struggled to get even 30% possession and we were barely in their half in the 2nd half.

Main problem for me was at 10 - Tovey showed his linitations tonight under pressure against a team like Munster he just fades away into the background, couldn't control the game and couldn't get us into the right areas of the pitch. I felt sorry for Kennedy who was being asked to do everything and had no support from Tovey. Tovey just ended up getting deeper and deeper and almost looked like he ran out of confidence and didnt want the ball. Without a proper player at 10 the team looked lost and directionless, bit like the last 3 seasons to be honest.

Our much vaunted back row got nothing out of Munster and our back moves were non existent after the first 20 mins.

To be fair the guys tackled their hearts out and were still standing and in with a chance with the last kick of the game but that was only because Munster butchered 2 or 3 good line breaks.

Needs a major rethink for next season, including a new back up 10, couple of centres for a start.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:49 pm

Tovey was very poor, the worst I have seen him.

The forwards stuck to the task well, but they were knackered. Munster were being Munster and going off their feet and taking men out all over the place so it takes it out of forwards. We really shoudl have used our bench. It is really not on to flog a 20 yr old prop like that, fair enough a grizzly older player but not a youngster. No idea what is going on with Beavon but it is a waste of time him being there, they should just pay up his contract andlet him get on with his life, if I was him I would be raging and tell them to stick it.

is Ritchie injured? Given the opposition, the conditions and the fact Hardie was never going to play 80mins it would have made more sense to have him on the bench rather than Mata, not his sort of game at all.

I dont think the centres did a lot wrong, they didnt get much ball and what they did was poor, just not a night for them. I would also dispute that it was anything like a 3rd choice Munster team, a fair few second choice players but not that poor a team, given our injuries etc probably not much in it. They still had an AB, a Saffer international a a heap of Irish squad players.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:20 pm

Was Solly guest coach for the evening?
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:22 pm

Poor performance, I thought Hoyland was the only back that looked dangerous, Dean had his moments too but the rest really not up to much.

Toolis and Hardie were good in the pack, the props were fantastic for being so young but the less said about the rest the better. Edinburgh's pack is consistently not good enough and I really think it is time we thought hard about Scott's continued employment.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:44 pm

We don't appear able to think on our feet and adapt to opposition or conditions, just keep trying to play to the plan they were sent out with. Irrespective of the performance, in what were difficult conditions at times, the game was there for the winning it is exactly the sort of game we need to be winning if we have aspirations of being a top6 team. It is the same sort of game we have been losing the last few years and stops us from making league progress.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:39 am

And what was the #fillMyreside atmosphere like?
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:45 am

Never going to be a classic in conditions like that, but we needed to be a bit smarter. If we'd played the game in their half and remained patient in the second period, we'd have had some joy. Would have suited Weir's game more and Bleyendaal controlled field position well for them.

Munster did what Munster do and that tends to work in games like these.

I didn't have a great view but thought the pack was sound and defence was good. Like others, I thought both props played very well. We are still prone to poor execution at important moments.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:24 am

doedin wrote:Couldn't get to the game tonight, at least Sky had it on the telly!

Well tonight shows we are a real 10th place team!

The only guys that have shown up well were the young guys in the front row, Kennedy and Hoyland. This was their 2nd/3rd team and we were at home and we still struggled to get even 30% possession and we were barely in their half in the 2nd half.

More capped internationals (8) and total Test caps (40) in that Munster side than in the Edinburgh one (7 and 36).
disco
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:31 am

Thought the atmosphere was pretty good, I was pitch side in front of the tv gantry and there was plenty of noise throughout, it being a close game that could have gone either way to the end would have helped.

More toilets and the big screen moved from behind the light pillar were better than first time out. A side from the result, the bit that counts, I enjoyed it thought it was a pretty good match experience.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:19 am

I also stood close to the terracing, and thought the atmosphere was good. It was a very poor game, and would have been a grim experience at Murrayfield. Myreside is a big step forward for us, we now need to get something happening on the pitch that entertains people.

Munster were the better team, but both were poor on the night. Our pack tried, but we just don't have the level of aggression in our play that Munster had. I know we have problems in our back division, but if you're not winning the forward battle then it's always an uphill struggle. When we did get ball we just kicked it away, which played into their hands. I would like to have seen Mata on earlier; we desperately needed someone in our pack who could break through their defence and open up the chance for an attacking break, and he has that ability. I doubt we spent more than a couple of minutes in their 22 in the whole game, and you can't expect to win in that situation.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:52 am

On a slightly different topic from last night, but can anyone explain how we are no longer allowed to take unopened 500mls plastic bottles of water/juice into the ground. My son had to ditch his last night or was it just an over efficient jobs worth steward.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby Bob on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:45 pm

I find the stewards really good, but i think the organisation of the ground puts them in a tough situation some times

I saw one of the stewards getting punched after the game - it was behind the north stand i think - where they were trying to keep everyone off the grass. Some guy took exception to being told to keep to the footpath and after some words a punch was thrown. Not sure how it finished up - the guy was held and the police were called, the steward seems a bit shocked but ok.

First time i saw anything like that at a rugby match. :(
Bob
One cap wonder

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum