New Head Coach

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: New Head Coach

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:52 pm

Oldsalt wrote:Liecester was Cockerill club not Edinburgh so slightly different setting Biffer. Who knows who will take to him and who will not. Oh and by the way just noted on the BBC website that Alan Solomons has been signed up by Bristol as a consultant. At least they have a rich owner that can afford to waste money.

Yeah, so any assumptions either way are invalid then, including the Mr Angry persona.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:18 pm

One point of interest - I haven't seen a single mention of this on social media from any of the players.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Oldsalt wrote:FKL under Solomons hard nosed approach and limited game plan we lost Laidlaw, Denton, Scott and Visser. That was at the time probably our best four players overall. I hope I'm wrong but I can't get past Cockerill Mr Angry persona. Who will leave this time Nel, Toolis, Bradbury or Hoyland?

Q Why do you have such a thing for Cockerill and are you Scott Johnson in disguise?

I am indeed Scott Johnson.

Bradbury signed a three year deal not long ago, Hoyland and Toolis won't be in demand the same way Scott and Visser were and Nel might leave before Cockerill's first day. Denton and Laidlaw suited Sollyball but bigger (and richer) clubs offered them a deal and they accepted. If I get a job offer from a better company and a pay raise I accept that. Okay Visser and Scott were pushed towards the door by Solly but even under Hodge's brave new ball playing Edinburgh they'd have still left because we don't win games and we're not going anywhere, not what established internationals entering their prime want to be involved in.

I am excited about this hire because what other coach were we going to get that has a track record like Cockerill's? Ackermann was mentioned on Scottish Rugby Blog as a deal done so the guy was clearly talking pish. Some assistant coach? Continue with 3 out of 11 Pro12 wins Hodge? Not very inspiring.

Cockerill is a good coach because he's a good coach. You can go and coach a team and shout at them until you're blue in the face but that doesn't mean players will suddenly become a technically good, well drilled unit that wins 65% of their matches. You don't win finals by shouting a lot. You don't finish top 4 every year by being angry. Sure Leicester are a good team and have money to spend - but not as much as others - yet as other posters have mentioned most of their top players are either through the academy or guys with promise from other clubs.

This club needs a fire lit and feathers ruffled. We're finishing 9th yearly and a change is needed. Not a change in playing style necessarily as a limited game plan works if executed properly. Every single top European team - even Glasgow - is built on a solid set piece and you go from there. Cockerill isn't the ideal coach but we're far from the ideal club to be coaching. A change is coming and even if the Cockers coaching stint here is a disaster he'll probably root out the guys at the club who don't care and get them out so the next coach has players to work with who want to play for Edinburgh.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:16 pm

sammy wrote:For me it's someone that up can adapt to our players, the opposition, changes in the game and who get's the team playing 15 man rugby. Someone that can develop players and the team's believe. Cockerill feels to me like Solomon's mark II - maybe slightly better, who'll try and do it all himself and marginalise others around him until he's off somewhere when a job with a higher profile comes along. I don't want to watch a team defending and kicking to the corners living of scraps, we've wasted years on this failed approach. It seems like its a done deal though :(

After the the years of rubbish the SRU has palmed us off for, the criminal lack of forward planned of replacements, the SRU really should have push the boat out for Edinburgh this time, but I'm getting the impression they just don't care about us. Did they even try attract Pat Lam, or ask Rennie if he would have come to Edinburgh.

Yep, they throw 4.8 million a year at something they don't give a damn about. And what's Cockerill done that Solomon's hasn't? Bar two premiership titles, a Euro final and regular involvement in the latter stages of league and European rugby.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:33 pm

biffer wrote:One point of interest - I haven't seen a single mention of this on social media from any of the players.

Some of them are no doubt a little apprehensive. Hope this transfers into some improved performances over the remainder of the season if they think they have positions in the squad to play for.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:42 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Oldsalt wrote:FKL under Solomons hard nosed approach and limited game plan we lost Laidlaw, Denton, Scott and Visser. That was at the time probably our best four players overall. I hope I'm wrong but I can't get past Cockerill Mr Angry persona. Who will leave this time Nel, Toolis, Bradbury or Hoyland?

Q Why do you have such a thing for Cockerill and are you Scott Johnson in disguise?

I am indeed Scott Johnson.

. Okay Visser and Scott were pushed towards the door by Solly

Can you elaborate on that bit please, ok Visser got fed up chasign high balls, but Scott?

We have to bear in mind that with a new coach there will be player movement. Solly did a lot wrong and signed a lot of dross, but also he brought through SHC and Bradbury, Signed CDP, Toolis and Bresler, convinced Nel to stay despite bigger offers elsewhere. So you have to credit him a little.

Some players wont suite Cockerill and vice versa, hopefully he brings in better than we have when it does happen.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:28 am

biffer wrote:One point of interest - I haven't seen a single mention of this on social media from any of the players.

Is this unusual? I had a quick check of a half dozen Glasgow players' twitter accounts, and none mentioned Rennie's signing at the time.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:18 am

Frenchy wrote:

Is this unusual? I had a quick check of a half dozen Glasgow players' twitter accounts, and none mentioned Rennie's signing at the time.

Not sure.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:51 am

Frenchy wrote:

Not an issue IMO. Pretty respectful to Hodge who would have been hopeful of getting the HC job himself.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:20 am

Hodge doesn't sound too happy: http://www.scrummagazine.com/2017/02/24 ... cockerill/

How much clout do the SRU have with LS? Could we see Hodge moved down there as HC?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am

If he isnt disaapointed then he is in the wrong job! He has had a go at it, was always an outside chance to get it full time but if he had won a good % of the games then he would have been in with a shout, he didnt and so they have gone for what they deem to be a better option. Time will tell whether it is or not.

In a way I think it would look better for Duncan if he did move on, going back from HC is never easy and I think he will lose a bit in the eyes of the players. If he can get a job in the Championship or similar then I think he should go. This doesnt have to be the end of his ambition, if he is confident in his abilities, which I am sure he is then why not fo for a LS style job and make his mark. Then he can come back in a few years time and take the top job.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:10 pm

I would be surprised if he stayed.
The fact that he is not clear on his future means to me that he is looking for an other opportunity.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:54 pm

To.be honest the 3 current coaches should all be moved on. A clean new start would be preferable now.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:56 pm

BigD163 wrote:To.be honest the 3 current coaches should all be moved on. A clean new start would be preferable now.

agreed they've kept their jobs on the sru gravy train
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum