New Head Coach

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: New Head Coach

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:44 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Can't be bothered with these I know something you don't and I can't won't tell you posts.

All a bit playground. Sorry.

You used to have to join the Masons in the days before social media! :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Wottie wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Can't be bothered with these I know something you don't and I can't won't tell you posts.

All a bit playground. Sorry.

You used to have to join the Masons in the days before social media! :lol:

:D
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:51 am

Interesting chat over on the Scottish Rugby Blog - Johan Ackermann, Head Coach of the Lions, mentioned in dispatches as possibly coming to Edinburgh. Saffer yes, but the Lions play an attractive brand of rugby:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/lions-c ... can-rugby/

Bennet's comments suggest Hodge staying on, but perhaps not as head coach?
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 am

New Gunner wrote:Interesting chat over on the Scottish Rugby Blog - Johan Ackermann, Head Coach of the Lions, mentioned in dispatches as possibly coming to Edinburgh. Saffer yes, but the Lions play an attractive brand of rugby:

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/lions-c ... can-rugby/

Bennet's comments suggest Hodge staying on, but perhaps not as head coach?

That would be a great signing. But he wont be available to after the Super Rugby season which may compromise recruitment/retention if it happens.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

It would. The Lions are arguably the only SA franchise at the moment playing rugby that is:
1. Attractive; and
2. Wins matches.

I've been interested to try to read the smoke signals from the SRU recently and am increasingly coming to the same view as NG. It looks like Duncan is staying on the coaching staff but not as head coach, otherwise we'd have had an announcement by now. Plan A seems to be to bring in an experienced head coach to take the reins and - I would hope and expect - to have a bit of a sideline in mentoring Hodgey with the eventual succession in mind.

On the impact of the Super season, if, for the sake of argument, Ackermann were signed up tomorrow, he'd be in the same position as Dave Rennie at Glasgow. You would expect him to be doing the same sort of things between now and arriving permanently. In other words, Skype-ing the players regularly, getting a sense of where the squad is, having an input on signings and re-signings and so on.

If it happens, great and it'd be a very encouraging sign. But it's internet chat for now so not worth the paper it's not printed on until confirmed.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:37 am

Ackermann would be an absolutely phenomenal signing. He's taken the Lions from the basement to title contenders, playing exciting, fast-paced rugby. Honestly, I would have thought he's out of our price range.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:46 am

gowrie wrote:Ackermann would be an absolutely phenomenal signing. He's taken the Lions from the basement to title contenders, playing exciting, fast-paced rugby. Honestly, I would have thought he's out of our price range.

Agreed he would be a massive coup, if he could do to us what he did with the Lions we'd be laughing. I'm not sure about price as the SRU are paying Rennie around 250 bags allegedly so there's money there. I thought the issue would more be the Bok job looking like it might be available soon.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:01 pm

Martin Bell wrote:On the impact of the Super season, if, for the sake of argument, Ackermann were signed up tomorrow, he'd be in the same position as Dave Rennie at Glasgow. You would expect him to be doing the same sort of things between now and arriving permanently. In other words, Skype-ing the players regularly, getting a sense of where the squad is, having an input on signings and re-signings and so on.

If it happens, great and it'd be a very encouraging sign. But it's internet chat for now so not worth the paper it's not printed on until confirmed.

It wouldn't be the same really though. Rennie has had months, including his complete off season to partially/mainly contemplate Glasgow business before returning to super rugby business. Recruitment is now well under way for players.

The super rugby schedule is quite gruelling and a lot of time is spent travelling and then focusing on the opposition. Any appointment from super rugby now (any coach or assistant coach that could become HC) will have very limited time to think about Edinburgh until the international break in June.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:09 pm

We need someone in and someone in soon. Completely unacceptable for players to just turn off. It isn't a lack of skills as we played very nicely in the first half. It's a lack of motivation and effort and that is certainly on Hodge.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Maybe just give them all a big slap in the face. Why do we have a team full of players so precious they can't even be bothered?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 pm

gowrie wrote:Maybe just give them all a big slap in the face. Why do we have a team full of players so precious they can't even be bothered?

Because that's fine at Edinburgh - you can play below your abilities and still get new deals and picked every week. We need Cockerill to come in and we him to not allow these gutless performances. If that leads to an exodus of the pansies we're employing so be it.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:41 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
gowrie wrote:Maybe just give them all a big slap in the face. Why do we have a team full of players so precious they can't even be bothered?

Because that's fine at Edinburgh - you can play below your abilities and still get new deals and picked every week. We need Cockerill to come in and we him to not allow these gutless performances. If that leads to an exodus of the pansies we're employing so be it.

This. You can understand people having an off day every now and again but having an off half every week is shameful for anyone pretending to be a professional.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:01 pm

The Rugby Paper claiming Cockerill is set to sign for Edinburgh. Have seen original article but not available online - reference here:

http://rugbylad.com/richard-cockerill-s ... hing-role/

Suggests Worcester after him, but Edinburgh more likely. Under he was sacked / became available Edinburgh were looking in the Southern Hemisphere for a new head coach...

Apparently TRP gets more right than wrong, let's see...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:12 pm

New Gunner wrote:The Rugby Paper claiming Cockerill is set to sign for Edinburgh. Have seen original article but not available online - reference here:

http://rugbylad.com/richard-cockerill-s ... hing-role/

Suggests Worcester after him, but Edinburgh more likely. Under he was sacked / became available Edinburgh were looking in the Southern Hemisphere for a new head coach...

Apparently TRP gets more right than wrong, let's see...

I'd come back for this
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:22 pm

Would much rather have Lineen to pull things together or Lancaster to plot the tactics, a shouty ex-forward coach is not likely to solve many of the real issues.
royc
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum