Bennet Signed

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Bennet Signed

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:19 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Jones will certainly be cheaper than Bennett. Super Rugby teams don't have as much money as the NH teams and I doubt the Stormers are paying the big money to a young kid coming from University rugby so very likely won't have the same demands as Bennett.

He might be cheaper than Bennett, but do you really think the only choice he had was Scotland or Stormers? I suspect clearly not, so we have no way of knowing their relative wages unless someone actually tell us
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:22 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:The weakness that Glasgow coaches think Bennet has is in defence, which is why they have been playing Grigg/Johnson ahead of him. That is obviously not shared by Cotter as he is still picking him ahead of Scott.

Cotter said he had issues with Scott's defence didn't he? Don't necessarily agree but Sure he did. Also Bennet has presumably been covering wing in the 6N, do you see Scott doing that?

Good signing for Edinburgh anyway!
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm not quite so enthused about this as some others. Yes, Bennett is an improvement on what we've got, but I don't think that is saying much. As some have pointed out, his career has somewhat gone backwards recently, and it could be he never gets that early career form back again. We shall see.

As a slight aside, I'm yet to see anything in Dean to convince me he will make it, and don't share others confidence in him. He doesn't have the power to be a classic 12, nor the pace or movement to be a good 13. So far I really haven't seen that he offers much at all, but again would love to be proved wrong about him.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Debaser on Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:02 pm

I'm delighted. I've always thought he was a class act albeit a bit smaller that most of the the big lumps they play at centre these days. We've been weak in the midfield for a while and he is definitely a step up from what we have.
Debaser
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm chuffed with this signing, but I think the decision on coach is vital.

There are a couple of young backs who would really benefit from being given the right tutelage just now, Sammy is one, Kinghorn and Dean are another two. Of course the whole team needs this, but these guys plus Hoyland in the backs have the potential to be something special.
Scotland's and Glasgow's most important player just now is Alex Dunbar (controversial given Hoggy's brilliance, but that's just my opinion) I think Dean can emulate what Dunbar does, he has the schooling in the backrow, he has learned his chops there so is good over the ball, he hits up well and at four years younger he has the potential to get to Dunbar's level, I hope, but he needs a top quality coach, like the rest of the team.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:37 am

Bennett is the best 13 signing I think we could have made with Jones going to Glasgow, really looking forward to him playing for ER think the Olympics messed up his season a bit and I hope we get to see the attacking threat we know he can be. I think he has played sevens with Hoyland and Dean and with Kinghorn at 15 we have the makings of a really exciting young Scottish back line.

Agree TH that Dean has all the attributes and the potential to be a really good 12 but at present his performances illustrate the inconsistency that we see across the team. At times we have seen good lines run, a good pass, a good step but rarely all in the same match, on other occasions he has fired a pass over the wingers head into touch or lost the ball in contact, as with the rest of the team, he needs to start delivering consistently at a higher level.

If whoever is coach next season can sort our inconsistency and basic skill execution that will be a massive step forward.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:02 am

It's worth remembering Dean is still only 22 and like the rest of our back line quite raw. I think he has all the attributes you'd want as his time with the 7s and being a back row at age grade has shown. He just needs to put it all together but this season he's definitely showing signs.

Bennett is a huge signing, most exciting we've had for a long time. Hopefully he can realise his potential here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:08 am

I'm really struggling conceptually with the view that Gordon might be anything other than an excellent signing, particularly when it's expressed by posters whose judgement I have enormous respect for and tend to agree with! I just don't see it. He hasn't had a great season by his standards, granted, but he is a high class young player who I fully expect to kick on. We are fortunate to have secured him and I am delighted.

I fully agree with TFG and FKL on Chris Dean. I think he has progressed this season with a decent run in the team but he's still developing. There were several occasions during the match against Ulster when I felt he was almost paralysed with indecision. With increased confidence will come consistency and more good decisions. Having gametime in harness with Gordon will help, while I'm excited by the prospect of seeing Gordon playing outside a playmaking 12 in Burleigh.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:36 am

I agree with all that, but is there any particular reason you're calling him Gordon?
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:51 am

I thought it worked better than Phil.
Proud former sponsor of McKane legend @m4gnet_ and future Glasgow legend Rory Darge and current sponsor of @Muncaster_Ben
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:15 pm

or Alan!
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:57 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Bennett is the best 13 signing I think we could have made with Jones going to Glasgow, really looking forward to him playing for ER think the Olympics messed up his season a bit and I hope we get to see the attacking threat we know he can be. I think he has played sevens with Hoyland and Dean and with Kinghorn at 15 we have the makings of a really exciting young Scottish back line.

Agree TH that Dean has all the attributes and the potential to be a really good 12 but at present his performances illustrate the inconsistency that we see across the team. At times we have seen good lines run, a good pass, a good step but rarely all in the same match, on other occasions he has fired a pass over the wingers head into touch or lost the ball in contact, as with the rest of the team, he needs to start delivering consistently at a higher level.

If whoever is coach next season can sort our inconsistency and basic skill execution that will be a massive step forward.

I think your spot on with he's the best 13 signing we could make
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Martin Bell on Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:or Alan!

I rather like that too, CG!
#lovinthescrummin
Martin Bell
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Watching Bennett for Glasgow this afternoon v the Dragons, getting him into an Edinburgh shirt can't come soon enough. Nick Grigg looked good as well today. We really are building up quite a bank of quality Scottish Centres now.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 pm

He was excellent and deceptively strong as well as fast with a great step at speed. Can someone make sure the contract is legally binding as our displays in last 4 games may make him wonder what the AlainRolland he is doing coming to us!
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum