Bennet Signed

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Bennet Signed

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:32 pm

3 year deal for Mark Bennet.

Great news for all inovolved. just hope we can find a way of getting the ball to him now!
Last edited by dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Re: Bennet Signed

Postby ratty on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:33 pm

Maybe just skip they interview where he has to pretend to be delighted by the news
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:39 pm

If his option was Newcastle he may well be delighted!

i can see why he wouldn't want to go back to France.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm delighted by that news, said it before that I think of the Bennett/Jones moves we're getting the better deal. When he's at his best he can slice open defences at will. With some good ball, Dean/Bennett/Hoyland/Kingorn is a great core of the backline for next season.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Excellent news and just what we have needed! Now lets get Nel re-signed!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:18 pm

Definitely a step in the right direction for Edinburgh :D .

We have a pretty exciting young Scottish back line coming together now...

9.SHC, 10.Weir, 11.Brown, 12.Dean, 13.Bennett, 14.Hoyland, 15.Kinghorn
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby robdinsdale on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:42 pm

djphilp wrote:Definitely a step in the right direction for Edinburgh :D .

Not forgetting Burleigh who will qualify in the summer and who I think will be important as the older head amongst our backs.
robdinsdale
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:09 pm

Very positive news, great signing, the ship is starting to head in the right direction!
Thanks SRU. :D

Big welcome to the first new signing and the 30th player to be signed up for next season
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:12 pm

robdinsdale wrote:
djphilp wrote:Definitely a step in the right direction for Edinburgh :D .

Not forgetting Burleigh who will qualify in the summer and who I think will be important as the older head amongst our backs.

I doubt Burleigh will get a cap though, centre is competitive enough and Dean is having a better year so Burleigh is surely way down the pecking order.

Absolutely fantastic news on Bennett, I didn't believe he'd join but it's superb he did. That backline can be extremely exciting if it clicks.

Now just sign up Nel please the SRU.

Edit - also more idle speculation, Bennett mentions he's looking forward to working with Hodge, so if he's not kept on as Head Coach it looks likely he'll still be here as backs/attack coach. Jim Hamilton and Andy Goode on their podcast suggest that Cockerill is staying in France for what it's worth.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:15 pm

This is a good signing however....

If he's not good enough for Glasgow why should he be good enough for us.

I wonder if this move is to accommodate Jones.

Suspect he'll be looked after better by the SRU than an English or French employer.

It'll maybe come out one day.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:21 pm

GaryIPA wrote:This is a good signing however....

Suspect he'll be looked after better by the SRU than an English or French employer.

Well, he clearly is good enough for Glasgow.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Frenchy wrote:

Well, he clearly is good enough for Glasgow.

Hmmmmm

Maybe we are going for an Olympic 7s team
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:33 pm

Even if that is the case they are title contenders and Edinburgh are barely ECC qualification contenders? He is a significant upgrade in quality in the centres over the current options.

This was the first pinch point Glasgow faced on contract renewals, several of their big name backs were due renewals. Hogg got his early, Dunbar is absolutely vital to them and Horne is a valuable squad member as he can play 10 or 12. Speculating here but I imagine Bennett was due/asking for a decent pay rise too so something had to give. This will only be Jones second pro contract so it is possible he was cheaper than Bennett.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:48 pm

BigD163 wrote:

Even if that is the case they are title contenders and Edinburgh are barely ECC qualification contenders? He is a significant upgrade in quality in the centres over the current options.

This was the first pinch point Glasgow faced on contract renewals, several of their big name backs were due renewals. Hogg got his early, Dunbar is absolutely vital to them and Horne is a valuable squad member as he can play 10 or 12. Speculating here but I imagine Bennett was due/asking for a decent pay rise too so something had to give. This will only be Jones second pro contract so it is possible he was cheaper than Bennett.

Jones will certainly be cheaper than Bennett. Super Rugby teams don't have as much money as the NH teams and I doubt the Stormers are paying the big money to a young kid coming from University rugby so very likely won't have the same demands as Bennett.

If we're honest, Bennett's career trajectory has certainly stalled but he's comfortably better than any centre we have and still one of the best in the Pro12 so it's a fantastic signing for us. Hopefully he doesn't stagnate further here and we get a coaching staff who demand that we compete at the top of the Pro12 rather than the bottom.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:12 pm

The weakness that Glasgow coaches think Bennet has is in defence, which is why they have been playing Grigg/Johnson ahead of him. That is obviously not shared by Cotter as he is still picking him ahead of Scott.

I think it is a fantastic signing for us, we were not going to get a player of that quality anywhere else, once Jones had decided on Glasgow (assuming his choice). Hopefully we can keep Burleigh and with him , Dean and Bennet we have some decent centres to play outside Weir. I have still not given up on Rasolea yet, I think he has something to offer. Our issue has been that outwith Burleigh we have had little or no threat or creativity in the centre, hence the calls for Bryce to play there. Bennet changes that dramatically. Allan would be fine as a backup player if thats where we are.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum