Leinster v Edinburgh 17 Feb 17 (19:35) on BBC Alba

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Leinster v Edinburgh 17 Feb 17 (19:35) on BBC Alba

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:02 am

Which thread was the prediction table someone was good enough to prepare in, I'd like to compare how we're doing
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:44 am

Tichtheid wrote:On Sam H-C's passing, he threw a howler that broke an attack very early on and Leinster gained 60m from it. Apart from that his passing in the fist half was okay.

it really wasn't. A good number at the receiver's toes, just fortunate most (or all?) were not dropped which is maybe why folk missed them or don't remember them. Causes recipient to falter even if he catches clean.
To be clear he was just one of many serial under performers when the going gets a wee bit challenging
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:00 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
macdone wrote:We are an embarrassment. That was our first choice backline ffs!! Against Leinster 2nd XV backline.

When's the last time we signed a top class back? Tim Visser maybe? Certainly nobody since the European semi final in 2012. Bennett won't be able to do it all on his own- we desperately need more to follow.

We need to put a clear message out.

Hodge will not stay on as head coach.
Stop extending contracts on second rate players.
Sign a new coach
Get the new coach to start building his team.

To be fair, other than Huw Jones when was the last time Glasgow signed a top class back? Or one that was top class before he joined? Maybe Sarto but Mr T was a complete dud. I also think Weir is in the Sarto mould. When we signed Visser he'd just been binned by the Falcons and we got lucky.

I kind of agree with GaryIPA too but I would say Brown is one of the few who gives his all for Edinburgh - howler aside I have nothing against him as a depth player but time we tried some other players at 11.

I'm a bit concerned about Kinghorn and Bradbury, earlier in the season even when we lost they were very impressive, it seems they've been dragged down to the level of most others. Someone needed to sort out the attitude problems and pronto before we waste another crop of youngsters, I'd get Cockerill in before the French teams can show him the euros.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Gilchrist and Carmichael came on at the same time, only one made any sort of impact and it was not our co-captain. You expect the senior players to lead by example, not good enough, did we start to leak tries when Cochrane went off or had it already started?

Moreover, whether you are for or against the myreside move it has been sold out and a bit of atmosphere for what were two pretty pish games. The club has a real opportunity to build on it but if this current run of forty minute efforts continues combined with no head coach announcement i cant see fans turning out in similar numbers for the remainder of this season or next.

I half expect some signing news in the coming week to try and deflect from last night.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:38 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Gilchrist and Carmichael came on at the same time, only one made any sort of impact and it was not our co-captain. You expect the senior players to lead by example, not good enough, did we start to leak tries when Cochrane went off or had it already started?

Moreover, whether you are for or against the myreside move it has been sold out and a bit of atmosphere for what were two pretty pish games. The club has a real opportunity to build on it but if this current run of forty minute efforts continues combined with no head coach announcement i cant see fans turning out in similar numbers for the remainder of this season or next.

I half expect some signing news in the coming week to try and deflect from last night.

They scored one, Cochrane went off, they scored another and then the floodgates open. As you say no leadership from Gilchrist, the team folded like a pack of cards. Cotter really should have Toolis as 24th man and make a sign that Gilchrist's performances this year have not been good enough.

I agree we'll probably see a new deal this week - with our luck it'll be Gilchrist. I think we might have a coaching announcement soon though, 2 points from 15 when the Irish teams are without internationals really isn't acceptable.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:46 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Gilchrist and Carmichael came on at the same time, only one made any sort of impact and it was not our co-captain. You expect the senior players to lead by example, not good enough, did we start to leak tries when Cochrane went off or had it already started?

Do you think Carmichael made an impact? I didnt think he did much, other than miss a tackle on the line. Im not blaming him though and agree Gilchrist didnt seem to bring the stability and leadership he is supposed to. To be fair the type of player his is is not flashy and unliley to make an impact in a way you can easily see but his role is to pull the team together and not give up.

One positive, in the first half Bryce played like the player we signed rather than the shadow we have seen. Ran good lines and beat players, we need to get him involved as well as Kinghorn.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Carmichael looked ok or was it his yellow headguard that stood out ?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:11 pm

We are talking degrees of crapness here, I don't think anyone comes away with credit in the second half (maybe Weir) Carmichael was just more noticeable than Gilchrist to me, however as you suggest Gary, it is perhaps just the yellow headguard?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:28 pm

GaryIPA wrote:Carmichael looked ok or was it his yellow headguard that stood out ?

he stood out because he made half a dozen good carries and made ground. His scrum cap helped make him out. Gilchrist carried once I think, made no ground as far as I remember it. Carmichael seemed to offer himself more and looked as if he wanted to make an impact. Gilchrist came on. Such a long way to fall for someone who looked the real deal in every aspect of second row play when he came on the scene. Quite depressing for us and must be worse for him
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:32 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:We are talking degrees of crapness here, I don't think anyone comes away with credit in the second half (maybe Weir) Carmichael was just more noticeable than Gilchrist to me, however as you suggest Gary, it is perhaps just the yellow headguard?

Weir at least looked like he gave a s...
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:58 pm

Carmichael looked decent going forward and energetic. The issue was he looked just as disinterested as the rest of the team when it came to defending. Just no idea how to fix the issues when it's not even our systems but simple lack of desire to make strong tackles, which gave them two pathetically easy tries.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:57 pm

One other slight positive. Hoyland managed to play an entire game against an Irish team without anyone trying to take his head off!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby ratty on Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:31 pm

Edinburgh appear to be running out of excuses, no big ball carriers, no fly halves, no proper home, blame the coaches.

One of the players tweeted asking for the fans to make a big effort at Myreside well they did and by the look of it the players aren't.

I'm taking four potential new fans to the Ospreys game, I'm not hopeful.
ratty
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I think it all comes down to atitude of the players. Not saying they arent trying but they dont seem to be able to concentrate for long periods and they dont seem to be resiliant. That has to come down to coaching. i genuinely dont think this is a bottom 3 squad. Individually players are ok. It doesnt help that we setup to work from a strong platform in the front 5 and are missing so many from there. Manu openly saying the mental preparation is wrong not only suggests there is an issue but also that he is not worried about criticising coaches.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:21 pm

[quote="dolf_lundgren"]I think it all comes down to atitude of the players. Not saying they arent trying but they dont seem to be able to concentrate for long periods and they dont seem to be resiliant. That has to come down to coaching. i genuinely dont think this is a bottom 3 squad. Individually players are ok. It doesnt help that we setup to work from a strong platform in the front 5 and are missing so many from there. Manu openly saying the mental preparation is wrong not only suggests there is an issue but also that he is not worried about criticising coaches.[/quote

... and therein lies our problem, we all think we are better than we actually are! We are 3rd bottom because we lose more games than everyone else apart from the italian teams, and even then it is getting close. I think the players believe they are better than a bottom three place too and fail to put in the work in preparation and on the pitch. It is not just work on physical fitness but in skills, in game management and in resilience and motivation. If Manu thinks the attitude is wrong then surely that is why he was brought in to the squad to provide some leadership? I don't think he has had any impact on or off the pitch and must be costing us a fortune in medic bills. He should have been a great investment and leader but so far he has been a waste of money.

I had thought that Hodge deserved a chance given the situation he found himself in but unfortunately he has not been able to change the attitude nor the performances of the squad. I dont think he provides the solution for next season and along with the coaching team haven’t done enough to suggest they should remain in post next season. The SRU need to now step up with their plans for the coaching team for next season so that the new guy has sometime to influence the squad for next season.
doedin
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum