SHC is a busted flush

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

SHC is a busted flush

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:39 am

Discuss.

To me he doesn't seem to care that his games gone to pot as there's no evidence of him having worked to improve the poor areas.

One of those players who had a single great season, but that's the peak and he'll never get back to it.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: SHC is a busted flush

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:49 am

I completely agree.

A scrum half who cannot consistently accurately pass the ball is on unsteady ground, he doesn't make his searing breaks anymore either. I think he's struggling now he's no longer the main man.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Ayton1keith on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:30 pm

biffer wrote:Discuss.

To me he doesn't seem to care that his games gone to pot as there's no evidence of him having worked to improve the poor areas.

One of those players who had a single great season, but that's the peak and he'll never get back to it.

Unless you have regular access to Edinburgh training sessions, I think your comments are a little harsh, but certainly agree he has regressed in the last 18 months or so. The same, however, could be said of Sean Kennedy, who whilst at Glasgow had that X factor, has not taken that next step forward.

There could be a number of issues why this has happened, lack of regular game time, esp in SHCs case during the time he was involved with Scotland, to the fact that our once dominant pack is now regularly on the back foot. A dominant pack who go forward certainly makes a 9s job a hell of a lot easier. Or maybe its just down to poor coaching.

You just have to look at the progress being made by Ali Price under Mike Blair at Glasgow, that one would think that the SRU would/should be better placed in employing MB to work with all the Scottish 9s, as this will only enhance competition to become the Scotland 9 and also to help to progress both pro teams.

Think both SHC and SK are both more than capable of getting back to where they once were in terms of performance, however, that may ultimately depend on the direction of Edinburgh over the next few months.
Ayton1keith
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:42 pm

No doubt both Kennedy and SHC have regressed but then so has the whole team.

I thought i was seeing it coming back last night in the first half, he certainly looked charper and his pass had more zip, so I dont think he is a busted flush. I agree he was playing behind a stronger pack than now so it makes a dfference.

I am reserving judgement on Price, he could very well go onto become a world class 9, but he is at best playing at the level that SHC was a coupel of years ago, so not getting too excited.

Kennedy, I think possibly just suits a very broken type of game which we just dont play. I would not have kept him on to be honest. There is class and being out of form and then there is being ordinary and having a purple patch. Other than a few weeks at Glasgow has he really shown he can do it? SHC has so worth percervering I think. My views on Fowles are known, so I wont go there again.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:07 pm

Hmmm Kennedy. doing nothing with us. goes to Glasgow looks pretty decent, comes back to us does not very much again, theme?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:13 pm

aye wonder if Bennett is frantically checking if the ink has fully dried on that 3yr deal with us
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:34 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:No doubt both Kennedy and SHC have regressed but then so has the whole team.

I thought i was seeing it coming back last night in the first half, he certainly looked charper and his pass had more zip, so I dont think he is a busted flush. I agree he was playing behind a stronger pack than now so it makes a dfference.

I am reserving judgement on Price, he could very well go onto become a world class 9, but he is at best playing at the level that SHC was a coupel of years ago, so not getting too excited.

Kennedy, I think possibly just suits a very broken type of game which we just dont play. I would not have kept him on to be honest. There is class and being out of form and then there is being ordinary and having a purple patch. Other than a few weeks at Glasgow has he really shown he can do it? SHC has so worth percervering I think. My views on Fowles are known, so I wont go there again.

It had zip but was zipping too high or too low.

Price has had one good year so you can't just judge too much from that and it helps he has a back line littered with internationals but his passing is so quick, efficient and accurate so I think he'll make it.

I think Kennedy is only a steady Eddie and was nothing special at Glasgow either. He's a below average Pro12 starter and that's that. SHC can't pass very well, he's not improving either, I think it's hope rather than expectation he'll be a good player. I wouldn't mind letting him looking for a new club as he might be another that needs a chance of scenery.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:06 pm

SHC is our only SH who has the potential to be a top level player. He has pace, a good boot and a bit of aggression about him. However his passing is not good enough but surely this is fixable with the right coaching and practice? I feel he needs someone to look after him and help him with his decision making and building his confidence, Ali price has had Pyrgos as a team mate and Blair as a coach, two guys who know the position and have no doubt helped him develop. I am not sure who SHC is getting the expert SH coaching he needs? Kennedy is an average Pro12 SH, solid but with no part of his game more than that, he wont turn a game for us. Fowles is limited when I have seen him, he has probably the best pass and his kicking is ok but I struggle to think if I have seen him make a break or do anything different.

SHC is the only one of the three who, at his best, poses a threat with ball in hand. When he was playing well he made defences think twice and forced them to defend around the fringes which created more space and options at 10 and wider. The problem was that we never had a 10 who could take advantage of the space he created. I would invest time and effort in SHC and he if he gets back to his best game will make an excellent partnership with Weir.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:31 pm

doedin wrote:SHC is our only SH who has the potential to be a top level player. He has pace, a good boot and a bit of aggression about him. However his passing is not good enough but surely this is fixable with the right coaching and practice? I feel he needs someone to look after him and help him with his decision making and building his confidence, Ali price has had Pyrgos as a team mate and Blair as a coach, two guys who know the position and have no doubt helped him develop. I am not sure who SHC is getting the expert SH coaching he needs? Kennedy is an average Pro12 SH, solid but with no part of his game more than that, he wont turn a game for us. Fowles is limited when I have seen him, he has probably the best pass and his kicking is ok but I struggle to think if I have seen him make a break or do anything different.

SHC is the only one of the three who, at his best, poses a threat with ball in hand. When he was playing well he made defences think twice and forced them to defend around the fringes which created more space and options at 10 and wider. The problem was that we never had a 10 who could take advantage of the space he created. I would invest time and effort in SHC and he if he gets back to his best game will make an excellent partnership with Weir.

Aye, but top-notch service is more than half of the job spec of a scrummie and SHC's service has been well below par for 18 months now. (His kicking and tackling are not great either). I fully agree with getting in some mentoring help, specifically from Mike Blair, but I'd think he has until the end of season to turn the corner and prove himself, or the door beckons.
royc
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum