Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:00 pm

O'Halloran has really taken Scotland's attack to the next level, Glasgow are lucky to have him and Rennie next year! Would've loved O'Halloran as attack coach here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:23 pm

Good interview with Cockers on Rugby Dungeon, last 10 minutes specifically about Edinburgh http://pca.st/3kc8
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:14 pm

Edinburgh Shark wrote:Good interview with Cockers on Rugby Dungeon, last 10 minutes specifically about Edinburgh http://pca.st/3kc8

Thanks for the link. I've only listened to the Edinburgh part for now, I'll go back to the first part later, but it all sounds good, he seems to have an idea of where we are, where he wants to take us and how he's going to do it.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:31 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Edinburgh Shark wrote:Good interview with Cockers on Rugby Dungeon, last 10 minutes specifically about Edinburgh http://pca.st/3kc8

Thanks for the link. I've only listened to the Edinburgh part for now, I'll go back to the first part later, but it all sounds good, he seems to have an idea of where we are, where he wants to take us and how he's going to do it.

It was interesting he let slip we're staying at Myreside.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:40 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
It was interesting he let slip we're staying at Myreside.

I'm not sure I'd take the same away from what he said, tbh, other than it being where the club is now, but the part I found interesting is the idea of a separate club identity being built away from Murrayfield and how it's easier for Glasgow to do that.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:49 pm

I would be very surprised if the trial is not deemed a success and we stay at Myreside, but it is hard to disagree with Cockers observation and it is probably a bigger reason to get out of Murrayfield than the small crowds.

Problem is the two best rugby training facilities in Edinburgh, which is a relatively small city, are Murrayfield and Oriam at HW both of which are used by Scotland so playing games at Myreside is only part of the solution. Is the eviction of Murrayfield Wanderers another part, will that building become ERs dedicated base outside (just) of the national stadium?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm

I can't see the SRU paying to create changing rooms, a gym and a physio room for Edinburgh at Murrayfield. The Universities are the best shout as they always want to have flashy facilities to impress prospective students but the tricky bit is restricting students' access to them whilst a rugby team is there.

Facilities is one part of the story, I think with Cockers we finally have the coach to try and create an identity but Glasgow's was built as much by Kellock and Hall etc as anyone else, do we have the players to create the identity Cockers will want?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:25 am

I might be losing the plot, but Im sure I caught a glimpse of Solly in the Bristol coaching box last week?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:35 am

dolf_lundgren wrote:I might be losing the plot, but Im sure I caught a glimpse of Solly in the Bristol coaching box last week?

Yep he's been brought in as a consultant to try and help save them from the drop...
disco
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:57 am

Hadnt heard that, seems to be working though!

Maybe he should have signed Henson
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:54 am

Erm, hope this doesnt throw a spanner in the works for us. Might get a wedge of compo if it does but leaves us in the doo doo. It does look to be a genuine short term appointment though with Galthie comin in the summer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39489771
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:20 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Erm, hope this doesnt throw a spanner in the works for us. Might get a wedge of compo if it does but leaves us in the doo doo. It does look to be a genuine short term appointment though with Galthie comin in the summer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/39489771

He was already working at Toulon, so it's just a cover job now Ford has got the bullet. Not a problem.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:54 pm

Interview in the Scotsman

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4415087

A few interesting insights there, firstly there's a focus on the young,mhomegrown players in much of what he says. Second a recognition that the older players have failed in their leadership roles, and won't be given what would be a third or fourth chance for them.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Great interview.

The guys will either buy into and be part of it or they won’t buy into and won’t be part of it…that will be their decision.

It'll be interesting to see who doesn't buy into this. I keep thinking Ross Ford's Edinburgh gravy train might be reaching the buffers but to be fair when pushed by Brown at Scotland he's responded well.

The Englishman promises to hand that mantle to the younger generation because “the senior players haven’t done the job”.

Finally putting the Solly nonsense that young players can't play in a bad team so we're to continue being bad but with some Manuwatu Turbos sub instead of a young Scot to bed.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:00 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Great interview.

The guys will either buy into and be part of it or they won’t buy into and won’t be part of it…that will be their decision.

It'll be interesting to see who doesn't buy into this. I keep thinking Ross Ford's Edinburgh gravy train might be reaching the buffers but to be fair when pushed by Brown at Scotland he's responded well.

The Englishman promises to hand that mantle to the younger generation because “the senior players haven’t done the job”.

Finally putting the Solly nonsense that young players can't play in a bad team so we're to continue being bad but with some Manuwatu Turbos sub instead of a young Scot to bed.

Ford did respond really well when he lost his Scotland spot, the problem has always been he doesn't play like that all of the time (not close usually, Friday being a case in point). Here he doesn't get dropped whoever the coach is - does that tell us more about the competition for his place, or about the coaches he has had or just illustrate that he he has been happy in the comfort blanket here? Or all of the above?

Solly for all his faults did introduce Scottish youngsters, just did not throw them a in immediately. They will a be a couple of years older now and easier for Cockerill to trust. Now its direction and decent coaching they need rather than just experience

Also I think the senior players referred to are not just non Scots. Manu and Gilchrist , one SQ one not, have failed mainly down to injury. Compare to Ford and when he was here, Mike Coman - which senior player stepped up there to show real leadership on the park?
joe soap
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum