Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby germain on Thu May 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Now the situation is clear, I have mixed feelings about keeping Hodge.
With him Fife went wrong, as well as Hidalgo-Clyne and now Weir. He played all year an underperforming pair of centres with Burleigh-Dean. Mind, if he had been fired, I could have said : "maybe it was hard on him". But I think I would have been relieved too.

So we'll see how our backs perform next year, but we can hope at least that all the rest (forward play, defense, management) will be much better !
Last edited by germain on Thu May 04, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Thu May 04, 2017 8:23 pm

McRae is an interesting appointment; he has done well with the 7's, but doesn't have experience as a defence coach in 15's. Hopefully it doesn't take him long to get to grips with what's required, as our defence definitely requires some improvement, and quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott go at this stage. Every coach has a shelf life, and he's been around for quite some time. His pack has definitely under-performed this year as well, which suggests his motivational sell-by date has been reached. I guess we'll find out soon enough, as the plans for the coaching team seem to be in place.

Hodge was apparently highly rated from his time with Scotland, so perhaps he deserves a chance to concentrate on being the attack coach for a year. With these appointments no one can say Scottish coaches aren't getting a chance at Edinburgh these days.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu May 04, 2017 9:13 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:McRae is an interesting appointment; he has done well with the 7's, but doesn't have experience as a defence coach in 15's. Hopefully it doesn't take him long to get to grips with what's required, as our defence definitely requires some improvement, and quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Scott go at this stage. Every coach has a shelf life, and he's been around for quite some time. His pack has definitely under-performed this year as well, which suggests his motivational sell-by date has been reached. I guess we'll find out soon enough, as the plans for the coaching team seem to be in place.

Hodge was apparently highly rated from his time with Scotland, so perhaps he deserves a chance to concentrate on being the attack coach for a year. With these appointments no one can say Scottish coaches aren't getting a chance at Edinburgh these days.

McRae as a defence coach is really strange, I suppose the argument is that his sevens team relied so much on organisation and closing down space so he can hopefully transition that to the full game. It'll be interesting to see how Dalziel goes with the 7s - had an excellent stint with our most talented under20s team ever but his London Scottish defence was leaky.

I too am surprised to see Scott stay as Cockerill is firstly a forwards coach but found it strange there was absolutely no mention of him at all on the announcement, perhaps he's getting his own goodbye as he's been here so long. I think the forward pack are typically the most disappointed aspect of our play as that is the area of the squad with the investment.

I don't really know why Hodge is so highly rated with Scotland considering our attack was miles better with JOH the past two years. I suppose you could say the Scotland guys are developing and he has them when they have adjusted to international rugby and know where Cotter is trying to play but I would have brought back Blair if possible. It is strange Glasgow have a skills coach but we don't and, in my opinion, makes the McRae decisions even more curious.

I'm not too surprised to see the S & C coach go either, I think we have looked unfit, underpowered and sluggish. Hopefully the new guy can improve that.

Also what is a Head of Rugby Operations? A fancy jobs for the boys title?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Edinburgh Shark on Thu May 04, 2017 11:39 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
....Also what is a Head of Rugby Operations? A fancy jobs for the boys title?

Buffer between Cockers and SRU powers that be? Ex player and I assume similar sort of senior role at Tigers, sounds a good appointment
Edinburgh Shark
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 am

germain wrote:Now the situation is clear, I have mixed feelings about keeping Hodge.
With him Fife went wrong, as well as Hidalgo-Clyne and now Weir. He played all year an underperforming pair of centres with Burleigh-Dean. Mind, if he had been fired, I could have said : "maybe it was hard on him". But I think I would have been relieved too.

So we'll see how our backs perform next year, but we can hope at least that all the rest (forward play, defense, management) will be much better !

I can't quite believe Hodge is staying. He was the only coach Vern chose to dispense with from the Scotland set up. He presided over the worst results in Edinburgh´s history. He didn't improve our back play even slightly when he came in. It's not fair on supporters or the players to stifle our development for the sake of supporting one guy.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri May 05, 2017 7:11 am

macdone wrote:
germain wrote:Now the situation is clear, I have mixed feelings about keeping Hodge.

I can't quite believe Hodge is staying. He was the only coach Vern chose to dispense with from the Scotland set up. He presided over the worst results in Edinburgh´s history. He didn't improve our back play even slightly when he came in. It's not fair on supporters or the players to stifle our development for the sake of supporting one guy.

SRU gravy train unfortunately
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Fri May 05, 2017 9:16 am

The lunatics have indeed taken over the asylum! Just had the worst ever season in the league and the two coaches who have sent out a seriously under performing team and show no ability to change things at all are staying.
Now is the time to be ruthless and show that if you make no effort to improve then you are out.
The icing on the cake would be the announcement that ER are staying at Myreside.
The SRU will not get any of my cash while they support jobs for the boys!
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Fri May 05, 2017 9:30 am

Edinburgh Shark wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
....Also what is a Head of Rugby Operations? A fancy jobs for the boys title?

Buffer between Cockers and SRU powers that be? Ex player and I assume similar sort of senior role at Tigers, sounds a good appointment

Sounds like a dilution of Petries responsibilities. I imagine he will focus more on commercial aspects.

Scott Johnson is the DoR, so I wonder where the split in responsibility is?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue May 09, 2017 6:55 pm

The Thistle Rugby Podcast Twitter feed reporting 'hearing whispers' that all Edinburgh's coaching staff are on their way out, including Hodge... intriguing...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 09, 2017 7:06 pm

New Gunner wrote:The Thistle Rugby Podcast Twitter feed reporting 'hearing whispers' that all Edinburgh's coaching staff are on their way out, including Hodge... intriguing...

Eh? How the hell does that fit with last week's announcement from the SRU? Have to treat this one as fake news for the being I think!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue May 09, 2017 7:11 pm

Wottie wrote:
New Gunner wrote:The Thistle Rugby Podcast Twitter feed reporting 'hearing whispers' that all Edinburgh's coaching staff are on their way out, including Hodge... intriguing...

Eh? How the hell does that fit with last week's announcement from the SRU? Have to treat this one as fake news for the being I think!

You'd think. Although maybe that was before their 121s qith Cockers yesterday...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue May 09, 2017 7:21 pm

New Gunner wrote:
Wottie wrote:

You'd think. Although maybe that was before their 121s qith Cockers yesterday...

This could be the case.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 09, 2017 8:02 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Cockers waits until everyone at the SRU TonySpreadbury off to Japan for the RWC draw and then when there are no grown ups in the house he empties the coaching team!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue May 09, 2017 9:58 pm

...on the day Saracens confirmed that ex-Leicester Jim Hamilton is leaving....
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 09, 2017 10:30 pm

biffer wrote:
New Gunner wrote:
Wottie wrote:

This could be the case.

Hodge has been the only coach confirmed as staying on. I can't see Cockers not being heavily involved in the coaching changes and so reckon he has spoken to all the major players pre confirmation with quotes from Dodson. I fully expect Scott to leave but not Hodge after it was confirmed he was staying.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum