Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby doedin on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 pm

All this optimism is making me a bit worried and goes against the grain!

How many years have we had to suffer the usual platitudes, promises that have been broken within a couple of weeks and the parade of a bunch of dodgy summer signings that most failed to deliver? Between the Irish Muppet and Solomons the last 4-5 pre seasons have got less and less positive and any positive noises last year only lasted 4-5 games into the season before, thankfully, Solly got his jotters!

However I have to say that the noises coming out of the pre season camp and the signings and re-signings we have made have almost made me feel like we might have a good season coming up! For once we have made a serious attempt to rectify the major problems we have in the balance of the squad i.e. at centre and in the back 3 - Fruean and Bennet are top class signings and will hopefully bring some experience and go forward and will hopefully help the likes of Dean develop into the 12 he could be. Our new signings on the wing bring some pace and size options we have needed. The youngsters brought in look the real deal and with the likes of Kinghorn, Weir, SHC and Bryce hopefully regaining their mojo we might have some threat in the backs!

I am also very hopeful that we might see our pack start to show their true potential and with the likes of Dickinson, Nel, Sutherland coming back fit plus Del now a Lion and a fitter Berghan we look strong in front row. Ford looks like he has had shackles removed and should have a storming season. We should see GC back to full speed, Bresler back to fitness and Toolis being recognised as international class having a stormer. Richie and Bradbury are a year older, bigger and stronger and with Watson, Hardie, CdP et al we look strong.

However the thing that makes me most optimistic is the coaching team. I dont think Cockerill will stand for anything less than 100% and will challenge the cosy atmosphere in Murrayfield. He will not stand for the 40mins performances we saw last season. If he gets these guys believing in themselves and playing to their full potential we might see a top 6/7 performance. Sh1t I need to calm down with a stiff G&T!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 pm

doedin wrote:All this optimism is making me a bit worried and goes against the grain!

How many years have we had to suffer the usual platitudes, promises that have been broken within a couple of weeks and the parade of a bunch of dodgy summer signings that most failed to deliver? Between the Irish Muppet and Solomons the last 4-5 pre seasons have got less and less positive and any positive noises last year only lasted 4-5 games into the season before, thankfully, Solly got his jotters!

However I have to say that the noises coming out of the pre season camp and the signings and re-signings we have made have almost made me feel like we might have a good season coming up! For once we have made a serious attempt to rectify the major problems we have in the balance of the squad i.e. at centre and in the back 3 - Fruean and Bennet are top class signings and will hopefully bring some experience and go forward and will hopefully help the likes of Dean develop into the 12 he could be. Our new signings on the wing bring some pace and size options we have needed. The youngsters brought in look the real deal and with the likes of Kinghorn, Weir, SHC and Bryce hopefully regaining their mojo we might have some threat in the backs!

I am also very hopeful that we might see our pack start to show their true potential and with the likes of Dickinson, Nel, Sutherland coming back fit plus Del now a Lion and a fitter Berghan we look strong in front row. Ford looks like he has had shackles removed and should have a storming season. We should see GC back to full speed, Bresler back to fitness and Toolis being recognised as international class having a stormer. Richie and Bradbury are a year older, bigger and stronger and with Watson, Hardie, CdP et al we look strong.

However the thing that makes me most optimistic is the coaching team. I dont think Cockerill will stand for anything less than 100% and will challenge the cosy atmosphere in Murrayfield. He will not stand for the 40mins performances we saw last season. If he gets these guys believing in themselves and playing to their full potential we might see a top 6/7 performance. Sh1t I need to calm down with a stiff G&T!

What's your address Doedin? You have me gravely concerned and I'm sending for an ambulance!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:43 pm

No need, on second G&T, mothers ruin doing the necessary! Optimism receding, honestly don't know what got into me there.

Now that we have a decent coaching team and squad in place and a new semi- permanent home ground sorted out what could possibly go wrong? All we need to ruin it is some poorly thought through reorganising of the league structure involving teams from thousands of miles away, oh wait a minute ...
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:04 pm

In Callum McRae's video piece on the ER website, particularly liked the reference to 'mental conditioning'. Seems to have been a big missing piece of the jigsaw in recent years...
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:43 pm

In one of RC's interviews he talked about three years. Any confirmation that's the length of the contract?

In all honesty I don't think he's a man who would take on a project and then leave it halfway through. I think he will be here for five or six years minimum.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:50 pm

Think it was announced as a 2 year contract, but might be wrong on this. Some encouraging noises around the club, but we've heard this sort of guff before only to be left very disappointed. Obvious point I know, but all that matters is what happens on the pitch, not the newspaper-filling flannel you get at this time of year.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:25 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Think it was announced as a 2 year contract, but might be wrong on this. Some encouraging noises around the club, but we've heard this sort of guff before only to be left very disappointed. Obvious point I know, but all that matters is what happens on the pitch, not the newspaper-filling flannel you get at this time of year.

It was officially announced as a two year but I believe Rennie is two years with an option for a third so it is possible Cockerill has the same deal. Makes sense as post 2019 RWC you'd imagine a few coaching changes internationally and therefore in the club game too.

I have a feeling he'll stick around as it seems he is stripping the club to it's bare bones and rebuilding from scratch, very rare you get the chance to do this. I also doubt Dodson wants immediate results either just good incremental improvements. Although wouldn't be surprising if they're planning for one of the assistants to succeed him when his contract has ran either.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:09 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Think it was announced as a 2 year contract, but might be wrong on this. Some encouraging noises around the club, but we've heard this sort of guff before only to be left very disappointed. Obvious point I know, but all that matters is what happens on the pitch, not the newspaper-filling flannel you get at this time of year.

It was officially announced as a two year but I believe Rennie is two years with an option for a third so it is possible Cockerill has the same deal. Makes sense as post 2019 RWC you'd imagine a few coaching changes internationally and therefore in the club game too.

It makes sense for international coaches but it could be an issue here. Obviously a 2 year deal protects either party if it goes wrong but the WC period is a very turbulent time for player movement and lack of internationals around the club during pre season. Assuming, as we all hope RC does a good job, him leaving in May/June 2019 would be a big set back unless the SRU are primed with a good replacement.

Realistically it would not be a surprise if there are 10+ Edinburgh players (as it stands not allowing for future movement) in the world cup squad so that is a lot of 1st XV away and potentially a new coach trying to implement new systems with a heavily depleted squad.

If next season goes well we should be looking to extend RCs deal next summer as a priority IMO.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:16 pm

From the BBC Sport Scotland website (below). Liking RC's approach - humble, focussed, determined. Wants us to do our talking through performance and results.

Pro14: New head coach Richard Cockerill wants Edinburgh to earn respect
26 minutes ago From the sectionScottish Rugby