Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby biffer on Tue May 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Hodge has been the only coach confirmed as staying on. I can't see Cockers not being heavily involved in the coaching changes and so reckon he has spoken to all the major players pre confirmation with quotes from Dodson. I fully expect Scott to leave but not Hodge after it was confirmed he was staying.

Unless of course they had a conversation this week, it went badly, and they decided they couldn't work together.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Tue May 09, 2017 10:48 pm

New Gunner wrote:...on the day Saracens confirmed that ex-Leicester Jim Hamilton is leaving....

they issued a full list of leavers today. Hamilton was confirmed not least by himself to be leaving yonks back, Conspiracy theory too far
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Tue May 09, 2017 11:03 pm

joe soap wrote:
New Gunner wrote:...on the day Saracens confirmed that ex-Leicester Jim Hamilton is leaving....

they issued a full list of leavers today. Hamilton was confirmed not least by himself to be leaving yonks back, Conspiracy theory too far

I'm not sure I can convince myself that Hamilton will make a decent coach. I can see him as a shouty coach but the two are not the same thing.

I'd obviously be delighted to be proved wrong - does anyone currently have any evidence to suggest that he's any good at it?
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Tue May 09, 2017 11:13 pm

biffer wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Hodge has been the only coach confirmed as staying on. I can't see Cockers not being heavily involved in the coaching changes and so reckon he has spoken to all the major players pre confirmation with quotes from Dodson. I fully expect Scott to leave but not Hodge after it was confirmed he was staying.

Unless of course they had a conversation this week, it went badly, and they decided they couldn't work together.

Petrie said on the announcement “We are working closely with Richard Cockerill on the coaching team for next season and it is important they have a strong idea of what it means to play for Edinburgh to complement Richard’s fresh direction." though.

You could be right and the Thistle aren't often wrong to be fair but I would find it extremely odd if the SRU announced it with Cockers and Hodge meeting for the first time properly the next week.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed May 10, 2017 6:32 am

bignose wrote:
joe soap wrote:

I'm not sure I can convince myself that Hamilton will make a decent coach. I can see him as a shouty coach but the two are not the same thing.

I'd obviously be delighted to be proved wrong - does anyone currently have any evidence to suggest that he's any good at it?

Not sure about as a coach but I would take him as a player is Bresler is leaving. He is just what we need, a hard nosed competitior.

I don't see why he woulnt be a good coach, a very articulate guy. Not sure about shouty, that's not really his thing. How he would move form being dressing room joker to coach would be the hard part. Hines has done it though.

Hamilton has always been an underrated player, he has got better and better as his career progressed, losing his place in the Sarries squad to Skelton (or Day) is no disgrace.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed May 10, 2017 7:27 pm

New Gunner wrote:The Thistle Rugby Podcast Twitter feed reporting 'hearing whispers' that all Edinburgh's coaching staff are on their way out, including Hodge... intriguing...

I prefer this to happen now than during the season.
I hope the situation will be clearer before the pre-season starts.

Edit: Glasgow's staff is composed of five people : Rennie (HC), O'Halloran (attack), Humphreys (forwards), Blair (Skills) and Murray (defense).
Ours is of Cockerill (HC) and McRae (Defense). It could be enough (and economic) for our usual show :D.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri May 12, 2017 4:02 pm

With Grant, MacRae and Hodge, it's quite an inexperienced coaching team we'll have. RC is very experienced of course, and will clearly be the leader, but there's not much coaching experience around him.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri May 12, 2017 4:25 pm

Great to see Roddy Grant back at the club, someone who never let standards slip when he played hopefully he can instil that same attitude in the team next season.

While the coaches are all relatively inexperienced, although Hodge must have 5/6(?) years now, it is a good opportunity for all of them to learn and develop under Cockerill as well.

What I don't think we have seen is a mention of how long Grant and McRae are contracted for. Think they were mentioned as part of the centrally contracted pool of coaches and wonder if that means there may be some rotation in coaching assignments over a numbers of seasons to develop them?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Sat May 13, 2017 9:59 am

I'm pretty satisfied with the job done. Now everything is clear : Cockerill (HC), Hodge (attack), McRae (defense) and Grant (forwards). Changes have been made, the situation is clear and we can hope for a serene pre-season, where tons of good work will be done to have a good season.
It's a good thing to have young scottish coaches around Cockerill with McRae and Grant. Hodge will be in his last year of contract and will have to prove his worth. I feel we're in a good shape.
germain
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Thu May 18, 2017 10:52 pm

"When you come to Toulon and in the first meeting there were (Bryan) Habana, (Ma'a) Nonu, (Matt) Giteau, (Mamuka) Gorgodze, (Romain) Taofifenua, (Leigh) Halfpenny -- guys you've never coached before, you have to make sure you know what you're doing!"

Cockerill said his approach was simply to engender a winning team.

"The first objective is to win and then you try to win with style. You have to do the simple things well," he said, putting previous bouts of "French-bashing" down to simple gamesmanship.

"As an Englishman, when I first arrived here, everybody said 'weren't you the coach who said we were all mercenaries?' Yes, that was me! Maybe that's a lesson for me as a coach.

"Leicester and Toulon are very different... but once you get on the pitch, all players are pretty much the same: they want to work hard, they want good coaching, they want to be organised and they want to win."
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

New Gunner wrote:"When you come to Toulon and in the first meeting there were (Bryan) Habana, (Ma'a) Nonu, (Matt) Giteau, (Mamuka) Gorgodze, (Romain) Taofifenua, (Leigh) Halfpenny -- guys you've never coached before, you have to make sure you know what you're doing!"

Cockerill said his approach was simply to engender a winning team.

"The first objective is to win and then you try to win with style. You have to do the simple things well," he said, putting previous bouts of "French-bashing" down to simple gamesmanship.

"As an Englishman, when I first arrived here, everybody said 'weren't you the coach who said we were all mercenaries?' Yes, that was me! Maybe that's a lesson for me as a coach.

"Leicester and Toulon are very different... but once you get on the pitch, all players are pretty much the same: they want to work hard, they want good coaching, they want to be organised and they want to win."

Really warming to this guy!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun May 21, 2017 8:23 pm

That McRae is decent eh.

Watching Scotland 7s I'm always impressed with how organised they are and if McRae can bring that organisation to defence it'll be a vast improvement on some of the malfunctions we saw this year. One thing that did concern me with Cockers was how unorganised their defence was at points - Glasgow murdered them around the fringes which simply you cannot allow at any level.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby New Gunner on Tue May 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:That McRae is decent eh.

Watching Scotland 7s I'm always impressed with how organised they are and if McRae can bring that organisation to defence it'll be a vast improvement on some of the malfunctions we saw this year. One thing that did concern me with Cockers was how unorganised their defence was at points - Glasgow murdered them around the fringes which simply you cannot allow at any level.

SCRUM interview with new defence coach McRae talking about new S&C coach Nick Lumley - anyone else starting to bound with blind optimism? Really like the part about mental conditioning and durability:

“I think first and foremost the guys have to be conditioned to a level. They were a hard working group I inherited [three years ago], but they had to be conditioned and ready for competition.

“I think Nick Lumley has done an outstanding job with the group and as well as the physical conditioning they also get this mental conditioning where they have become a lot more mentally durable and have been able to push themselves a bit further.

“We put a big focus on doing the fundamentals well and most importantly is the feeling of unity. The jersey means a lot to these boys and it means more that they aren’t willing to back down even when the chips are down.”
New Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby germain on Wed May 24, 2017 1:50 pm

New Gunner wrote:
SCRUM interview with new defence coach McRae talking about new S&C coach Nick Lumley - anyone else starting to bound with blind optimism?

Yes, me!
To fight against this feeling of blind optimism, I keep repeating "Hodge is still in the coaching staff, Hodge is still in the coaching staff, ..." :twisted:
germain
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri May 26, 2017 10:00 pm

Cockers has guided Toulon to the top 14 final....

Also the 10 who slotted the last minute drop goal is 21 years old - so folk who worry he trusts youth he picked him over Giteau.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum