Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby adi1314 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:59 am

I suppose it depends on whether we thinks he will get the cash/support he needs in future.

Budget has been dropped into a lot of his interviews, re player re-signings/releases.
adi1314
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby SanSepolcro on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:28 pm

So far, hee-haw connecting him with Quins. I think he's here for the long haul, as FKL has already said. You don't move your family lock stock and barrel to a new country, only to bin it a season or so later. He's on record as saying he's here to make a difference, change the culture, get results.

Let's see where we end up this season. If we qualify for the big boys cup, then for me that'd be great progress. Either way, I've been much more entertained this season by the rugby we've played, given where we've been for the last God knows how long and the utterly dire rugby we've put up with.
SanSepolcro
International
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:29 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:26 pm

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ssion=true

This guy is hugely entertaining!

Some mad revelations in this piece.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:56 pm

WTF shows what a SteveWalsh culture there must have been under the Solly regime. His arrival must have been a massive kick up the KelvinDeaker.

He has certainly brought Edinburgh a higher media profile, gives good honest interviews and at least, for the most part, the performances on field are worth talking about.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1655
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Frenchy on Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:57 pm

“Edinburgh offices are at the north end of the ground, the boys change in the west stand and we use the back pitches,” said Cockerill. “The lazy b------- would drive their cars from the north end round to be nearer the pitches rather than walk bloody 150 yards...

I don't understand why anyone would do this, let alone a professional athlete on their way to training.
Frenchy
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:39 pm

Frenchy wrote:
“Edinburgh offices are at the north end of the ground, the boys change in the west stand and we use the back pitches,” said Cockerill. “The lazy b------- would drive their cars from the north end round to be nearer the pitches rather than walk bloody 150 yards...

I don't understand why anyone would do this, let alone a professional athlete on their way to training.


I don't understand it either. TBH I am struggling to believe that is anything but a wind up to make a point. And if others trying to cover up for Bradbury was such a heinous offence rather than helping a mate, were they disciplined as well? I'm not saying which is right, but there is inconsistency
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 pm

joe soap wrote:
Frenchy wrote:
“Edinburgh offices are at the north end of the ground, the boys change in the west stand and we use the back pitches,” said Cockerill. “The lazy b------- would drive their cars from the north end round to be nearer the pitches rather than walk bloody 150 yards...

I don't understand why anyone would do this, let alone a professional athlete on their way to training.


I don't understand it either. TBH I am struggling to believe that is anything but a wind up to make a point. And if others trying to cover up for Bradbury was such a heinous offence rather than helping a mate, were they disciplined as well? I'm not saying which is right, but there is inconsistency


How do you know they werent punished? Teams don't announce fines etc.

And his mates might not even be pro players.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:21 pm

Frenchy wrote:
“Edinburgh offices are at the north end of the ground, the boys change in the west stand and we use the back pitches,” said Cockerill. “The lazy b------- would drive their cars from the north end round to be nearer the pitches rather than walk bloody 150 yards...

I don't understand why anyone would do this, let alone a professional athlete on their way to training.


Different scenario but if you read the autobiography of Chris Hoy, he talks about basically doing as little as possible when not in the velodrome, along the lines of , never walk if you can cycle, never cycle if you can drive.

Not really relevant but it is a mindset of some athletes. The question it raises for me is why they meet in the office? Must have a team room in there?

The timekeeping and general discipline issues are a good sign. Senior players have a responsibility to set those too. It shouldn't need a coach to tell them all the time.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Cammo Gunner on Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:44 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:The question it raises for me is why they meet in the office? Must have a team room in there?


Players used to use The Rowan Suite for a team room in previous seasons.
Don't know if they are still using it though
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2004 8:40 pm
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
How do you know they werent punished? Teams don't announce fines etc.

And his mates might not even be pro players.


Well, I don't know others were not disciplined, but it's hardly too much to think that if Cockerill refers to others covering up being something that really gets on his boat (lying is the word he uses), that he could be a expected to add that he had taken action internally against them as well ( or be clear if they were not players, although he has managed to give me the impression they were).

While it is not true to say that clubs never give details of how internal discipline, a simple statement that it happened would suffice and would be the norm.

I am more than certain that there issues with the culture at Edinburgh Rugby, it's hardly news and had been the case for a very long time. The "problems" have been moved on to pastures new. However I'm sure we also got articles about improving ing it under Solomons - clearly not improved enough, but progress.
This sounds like Cockerill making a point perhaps about something that happened once as a joke. I do not believe it was a norm.
joe soap
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:40 pm

joe soap wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
How do you know they werent punished? Teams don't announce fines etc.

And his mates might not even be pro players.


Well, I don't know others were not disciplined, but it's hardly too much to think that if Cockerill refers to others covering up being something that really gets on his boat (lying is the word he uses), that he could be a expected to add that he had taken action internally against them as well ( or be clear if they were not players, although he has managed to give me the impression they were).

While it is not true to say that clubs never give details of how internal discipline, a simple statement that it happened would suffice and would be the norm.

I am more than certain that there issues with the culture at Edinburgh Rugby, it's hardly news and had been the case for a very long time. The "problems" have been moved on to pastures new. However I'm sure we also got articles about improving ing it under Solomons - clearly not improved enough, but progress.
This sounds like Cockerill making a point perhaps about something that happened once as a joke. I do not believe it was a norm.


Don't think he could lie about Bradbury being a liar whilst making a point about lying being unacceptable. That would be quite something.

Maybe, Edinburgh players being incredibly lazy wouldn't surprise anyone.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:50 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:
Frenchy wrote:
“Edinburgh offices are at the north end of the ground, the boys change in the west stand and we use the back pitches,” said Cockerill. “The lazy b------- would drive their cars from the north end round to be nearer the pitches rather than walk bloody 150 yards...

I don't understand why anyone would do this, let alone a professional athlete on their way to training.


Different scenario but if you read the autobiography of Chris Hoy, he talks about basically doing as little as possible when not in the velodrome, along the lines of , never walk if you can cycle, never cycle if you can drive.

Not really relevant but it is a mindset of some athletes. The question it raises for me is why they meet in the office? Must have a team room in there?

The timekeeping and general discipline issues are a good sign. Senior players have a responsibility to set those too. It shouldn't need a coach to tell them all the time.


The other side of the Chris Hoy coin is the film I remember seeing of him training on a static bike where he falls off the thing at the end of the session and throws his guts up, which was par for the course apparently.

Also, I read in the Wilkinson autobiography that when at Newcastle and didn't drive he'd take the opportunity to walk for miles home from the supermarket carrying the weekly shop in bags as extra training.

Whether the tale of the Edinburgh players is apocryphal or not, it does seem that there was a sense of entitlement and comfort, a laziness, even a deluded sense of how good they were.

We are beginning to see a difference in the attitude, they might even get somewhere under Cockers' leadership if they are prepared to do what it takes.


I always remember Daley Thompson saying he trained twice on Christmas Day, he knew his rivals would train once, but none of them would do that extra one.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1492
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:51 pm
Location: Alba Bheag

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby germain on Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:06 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/04/27/richard-cockerill-want-poke-glasgow-bear-put-edinburgh-map/amp/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_tw&__twitter_impression=true

This guy is hugely entertaining!

Some mad revelations in this piece.


Thanks for that enjoyable reading. There must have been some "funny" moments... Good to hear that some attitudes are not tolerated anymore.
germain
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:33 pm

Leicester sack Matt O'Connor.

Ridiculousness of modern rugby firing after ONE game (!!!) they're now down two coaches after sacking Cockers. A symptom not the cause of the circus Leicester has become.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Re: Richard Cockerill confirmed as HC

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:13 pm

I can think of a few former ER coaches I wish had not seen the second match of the season :twisted:

Bit farcical sounds like more going on than one bad performance, the players have history of not performing as well.

However looks a prudent move by the SRU to extend Cockers contract last season.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star
 
Posts: 1655
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:55 am

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests