League Expansion?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

League Expansion?

Postby djphilp on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Re: League Expansion?

Postby bignose on Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:50 pm

Or http://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-uni ... -1-4370290 for the original article.

Source: The Scotsman. Make of that what you will...
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:28 pm

I'll be very surprised if this comes to anything. The costs would be huge, and the split league format a bit odd (how do you ensure they are about equal in standard, would both us and Glasgow be in the same league, etc...).
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:40 pm

Exactly, a lot of income is made from "derby games" so how do you ensure these remain? So you either need to have Welsh, Scots and US in one with Irish, Italians and Canada in the other, which means that the US and Canada dont get their "derby" and one is significantly weaker than the other.

The other thing is if there are too many filler teams in the league who are not competitive then the teams in Europe will struggle to step up. The English and French already think the pro12 is a pub league!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am

It wouldn't be a surprise at all IMO.

The Toronto Wolfpack have recently entered the English Rugby League structure and have already got a strong coaching and playing staff in place. They are expected to win their league easily and challenge for promotion into the Super League next season.

Importantly they have deals with airlines so that all flights for them and opposing teams are free (including all support staff) and fans will be offered special prices for theirs. They will play five weeks on the road and then 5 at home.

If there is genuine will for this to happen from all parties then I could definitely see it happening. I would think the structure would probably be different to what is suggested though.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:56 pm

Thought I saw a bit in one the papers at work something about a (or two)German team planning to join the PRO 12?, bit easier to visit the over the Atlantic maybe.
Pitfitter

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum