Edinburgh v Cardiff 24/2/17

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh v Cardiff 24/2/17

Postby The Nudger on Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:51 pm

Amongst all the excitement over Cockerill's appointment easy to forget that we have a game at Fortress Myreside coming up on Saturday night.

Thought I'd kick this thread off with a reminder that the pub where I work - The Golden Rule - will again be offering all fans of both teams a 15% discount on all drinks on Edinburgh matchdays. All you need to do is show the bar staff your match/season ticket or being wearing and Edinburgh jersey to claim your discount.

There were quite a few Munster fans in last time round, probably more than Edinburgh but there was some good banter going about!

Repeating my blurb from the last time below for the uninitiated!

The Golden Rule is a nice traditional pub, always have 5 good real ales on plus a selection of craft lagers etc and a good selection of malts. Its on Yeaman Place, about 15 minutes walk from Myreside, if you don't know where it is there's a map on the Trip Adviser link below.

http://www.goldenruleedinburgh.co.uk/

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractio ... tland.html

Hope to see some of you before the game for some cheap beer!
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh v Cardiff 24/2/17

Postby gowrie on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:12 pm

1. Cosgrove
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. McKenzie
5. Toolis
6. Bradbury
7. Ritchie
8. Du Preez
9. SHC
10. Tovey
11. Scholes
12. Dean
13. Bryce
14. Hoyland
15. Kinghorn

16. Turner, 17. Appiah, 18. Bryce, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Carmichael, 21. Fowles, 22. Rasolea, 23. Allen

As per usual team, after a horrific performance away, just pick the same players and hope for the best I guess. Bryce finally makes it back at least.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:15 pm

gowrie wrote:1. Cosgrove
2. Cochrane
3. McCallum
4. McKenzie
5. Toolis
6. Bradbury
7. Ritchie
8. Du Preez
9. SHC
10. Tovey
11. Scholes
12. Dean
13. Bryce
14. Hoyland
15. Kinghorn

16. Turner, 17. Appiah, 18. Bryce, 19. Gilchrist, 20. Carmichael, 21. Fowles, 22. Rasolea, 23. Allen

As per usual team, after a horrific performance away, just pick the same players and hope for the best I guess. Bryce finally makes it back at least.

Don't understand what's going on with Bresler. Played for Melrose last weekend.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:21 pm

It must be Hodge doesn't like Bresler for some reason.

I'm interested to see how Dean and Bryce go in the centre and the other Bryce in the scrum if he comes on. Edinburgh to win comfortably with Rory Scholes defying his doubters.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:35 pm

Normally I'd think that, on paper, that's quite a good team to have available for the 6N period but ... well, you know the rest.
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:52 pm

Last chance saloon for a few guys? If they don't win this one and/or have another collapse of the magnitude we have seen recently then I can’t see Cockerill wanting to waste his time and theirs trying to instil a different attitude etc.

I agree that Bresler would have been worth a place on the bench, unless we have been told to keep GC warmed up in case he is needed for the 6Ns? I would have Allan on instead of Scholes on the wing, he is faster and tries to get involved more. Scholes has been a waste of space since he joined and his on pitch attitude has looked awful. It would be good to see Turner get enough time to show us what he can do ... again! He is unlucky in that Cochrane is also a good hooker and is there as captain I presume?

The young guys at prop are doing well week in week out at the moment and getting lots of valuable experience. Its a shame they have also had to carry a lot of their more experienced team mates in games at the same time though. Hopefully Bryce is fully recovered and can show us what he can do at TH?

We should run a comp to see which 10 minute period we decide to stop playing and let Cardiff score 3 tries! My monies on the 50th to 60th period.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:16 pm

Carmichael covering the backrow or a typo?
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:21 pm

doedin wrote:
We should run a comp to see which 10 minute period we decide to stop playing and let Cardiff score 3 tries! My monies on the 50th to 60th period.

I'll take 20-30
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:27 pm

hp18 wrote:Carmichael covering the backrow or a typo?

Turner covering back row? and wing?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:40 pm

I swear this came up before - McKenzie would move into the back row if needs be.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:41 pm

doedin wrote:

Turner covering back row? and wing?

Can we not stick him in at 10 - he'd be less flaky than Tovey
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:00 pm

The team could have a good shot against Cardiff if everyone keeps the heid, plays an 80-minute game and gives it best efforts and no surrender.

It's a good chance for Kevin Bryce to show what he can do, even though he's been out for a while, he can be very good in the loose if he's fully fit and on song. Hope for a big rumbustious ball-carrying innings from CdP, he's carrying a load more weight than previously, which may be slowing him down a bit, but he is needed in as close to 5th gear as he can get now.

Hope the half backs have been working at it, would like nothing more than to see a crisp service display from SHC to a Tovey lying a bit flatter, if these two can get it together, then we'll see what this centre pairing can do. Chris Dean inside, Glenn Bryce outside, could be a v good combo, hope they get a chance to strut their stuff.

It would be good to see Allen getting a bit of time on the field at wing, he's the only bigger, heavier winger on the books in what is a pretty small, light-weight posse of wingers, he could yet have a role to play next term.

Good luck to the boys, heads up, this one's a good opportunity to put a marker down.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Apparently Turner is the 24th man for the weekend so might not see too much gametime...

The Thistle Podcast (who reported it) are bang on with team information usually.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Apparently Turner is the 24th man for the weekend so might not see too much gametime...

The Thistle Podcast (who reported it) are bang on with team information usually.

Seriously? I've banged on a bit before about giving him (and other squad guys) time to prove themselves, and he's done well for himself if it's true, but it does seem a bit odd that he's in the frame for that after just one injury to McInally.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:33 pm

gowrie wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Apparently Turner is the 24th man for the weekend so might not see too much gametime...

Seriously? I've banged on a bit before about giving him (and other squad guys) time to prove themselves, and he's done well for himself if it's true, but it does seem a bit odd that he's in the frame for that after just one injury to McInally.

Think 24/25/26th men are often young or fringe players - it's a way of getting future/potential Scotland players used to the setup. I remember reading that Rory Sutherland was 24th man at a Six Nations match in 2015, which would have been his first season as a professional, and a year before he actually played for Scotland.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum