Edinburgh vs Ospreys, 3/3/2017.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Edinburgh vs Ospreys, 3/3/2017.

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Might go to this because I want Myreside to be a success but feels a lot like this season is pointless.

Some players will play rugby, we'll lose.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Re: Edinburgh vs Ospreys, 3/3/2017.

Postby macdone on Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:20 am

We need to build some momentum for the QF I guess. But hopefully with Hodge not playing for his future anymore, he will be more flexible with his selection. Burleigh and Bryce have done nothing this year to justify keeping Rasolea and Tofilau completely out the picture. I'd like to see one of them given a run.

And of course Kinghorn some minutes at 10 but pigs might fly!

Fingers crossed we have Bresler and Dickinson back fit.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:38 am

Lost interest now. Are we fighting to retain 9th place? Even SRU think the 7s are more important by pulling Kennedy and Brown. Coach stepping back, a number of players/coaches (even if they do have a contract with the SRU they can be moved sideways) with coats on a shuggly hook and only game left of any importance is now the Diddy Cup 1/4 final. That will be an interesting game with Rochelle riding high in the Top 14. The Os are still right in there and Wales have released a number of players for the game so they are targeting a BP win. I would be surprised if we see many players coming back from Scotland squad unless they need game time, whats the point in risking them in a pointless match? Can't see us getting much out of the game to be honest nor much motivation for even trying! It might even be raining on Friday night too.

I feel really sorry for the young guys like Cosgrove and McCallum who have been fantastic in a difficult context due to the lack of back up or unwillingness of coaches to play the back ups. They have been badly let down by more experienced guys on the pitch. However I am sure the experience has been good for them and both have shown they have what it takes, can’t say the same for many of their team mates though!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:10 am

doedin wrote:Even SRU think the 7s are more important by pulling Kennedy and Brown.

Perhaps a sign that Hodge wants an extended look at Scholes in action and that Kennedy is getting punted at the end of the season?
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am

BigD163 wrote:Perhaps a sign that Hodge wants an extended look at Scholes in action and that Kennedy is getting punted at the end of the season?

Possibly, but think that's reading too much into it. The 7s squad has had a lot of injuries, they need some players. Brown is just coming back from a head knock (and is Scottish, Scholes isn't), and SHC and Fowles are currently preferred to Kennedy (but that changes every other week, anyway).
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:10 am

macdone wrote:We need to build some momentum for the QF I guess. But hopefully with Hodge not playing for his future anymore, he will be more flexible with his selection. Burleigh and Bryce have done nothing this year to justify keeping Rasolea and Tofilau completely out the picture. I'd like to see one of them given a run.

And of course Kinghorn some minutes at 10 but pigs might fly!

Fingers crossed we have Bresler and Dickinson back fit.

Kinghorn may have played at 10 at school, but he was a better 15 than 10 at age group imho, and he hasn't shown much in the few cameos he has had at 10 for Edinburgh.

Whether or not he has a future at 10, let him develop and mature at 15 first rather than putting more pressure on him.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:42 am

Will be a tough game as Ospreys played well vs Glasgow last week.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:51 am

Weegie wrote:Kinghorn may have played at 10 at school, but he was a better 15 than 10 at age group imho, and he hasn't shown much in the few cameos he has had at 10 for Edinburgh.

Whether or not he has a future at 10, let him develop and mature at 15 first rather than putting more pressure on him.

could not agree more. The best players at school usually get put in the most influential positions - and just as often fail later in that position or move to another position more suited. At age group and for Edinburgh he has looked every bit a future international at 15, while he has not convinced at all at 10 for either. He recently has not been not hitting his earlier highs, hardly surprising for lad his age, and asking him to play 10 at present except in extremis makes no sense
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:53 pm

At Accies they had the Melvin-Farr kid at fullback who played for Scotland under18s when Kinghorn was there so might also explain why he didn't play there.

But it's nothing to be sniffed at he did play 10 for Scotland under18s - that's still the best school boy 10 in the country and it's not like we have anything to lose by trialling him there this year. I agree he looks like a future international at 15 but it's hugely helpful if he can slot into other positions should injuries or form issues dictate that.

I also think it's in Scotland's interests if we test out his versatility as it's not like he's going to displace Hogg anytime soon considering the heights Hogg is hitting.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:At Accies they had the Melvin-Farr kid at fullback who played for Scotland under18s when Kinghorn was there so might also explain why he didn't play there.

What ever happened to him? There was a video of the U18s game against England and he looked really quick
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:31 pm

Edinburgh Rugby team to play Ospreys at Myreside in the Guinness PRO12 tomorrow (Friday 3 March, kick-off 7.35pm) – live on BBC ALBA

15. Blair Kinghorn
14. Damien Hoyland
13. Glenn Bryce
12. Chris Dean
11. Rory Scholes
10. Duncan Weir
9. Sam Hidalgo-Clyne

1. Alasdair Dickinson
2. Neil Cochrane CAPTAIN
3. Murray McCallum
4. Grant Gilchrist
5. Ben Toolis
6. Magnus Bradbury
7. Jamie Ritchie
8. Cornell Du Preez

Replacements

16. Stuart McInally
17. Derrick Appiah
18. Kevin Bryce
19. Anton Bresler
20. Lewis Carmichael
21. Nathan Fowles
22. Junior Rasolea
23. Michael Allen

Players unavailable due to injury: Nick Beavon (neck), Phil Burleigh (hand), Jack Cosgrove (ankle), Viliami Fihaki (hand), John Hardie (knee), Will Helu (hand), Viliame Mata (knee), Nasi Manu (shoulder), Fraser McKenzie (back), WP Nel (neck), Alex Northam (Achilles), Rory Sutherland (groin), Jason Tovey (shoulder), Kyle Whyte (knee)
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:44 pm

Dicko and Bresler back - Happy days!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:56 pm

Cochrane captain despite Gilchrist starting, he definitely brings more leadership presence for me and is in better form in terms of leading by example.

Dickinson back is a boost would think he brings some leadership as well, also good to see Bresler back in the squad.

Insert usual "strong team overall comment".... would not be surprised if we have a try BP by HT and an LBP by FT :roll:
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby gowrie on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:02 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Insert usual "strong team overall comment".... would not be surprised if we have a try BP by HT and an LBP by FT :roll:

Too optimistic for me, I'm betting we dominate the first half, 3 tries and a comfortable lead. After the break, Ospreys score 4 times in 3 minutes for a BP and deny us the LBP.
gowrie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:16 pm

I was going for the glass half full (glass in question being the 4th pint of double Joker IPA, previous 3 consumed to drown my despair and sense of reality now skewed) view.

I have no expectations for tomorrow, but it would be nice to see the team show they give a SteveWalsh for the full 80 mins.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum