Edinburgh vs Ospreys, 3/3/2017.

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh vs Ospreys, 3/3/2017.

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:45 pm

Usual story of a sniff of some sort of cutting edge would have won us that.

tv may show otherwise but SHC passing looked good tonight, is he always adjusting for SteveWalsh conditions so tonight it worked?

Plenty of chances panic or error ruined it.

Edit: Should add Dickinson looked in a lot of pain hopefully injury is not as bad as his reaction suggests but would not be surprised if it is season over.
Last edited by The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:09 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Usual story of a sniff of some sort of cutting edge would have won us that.

tv may show otherwise but SHC passing looked good tonight, is he always adjusting for SteveWalsh conditions so tonight it worked?

Plenty of chances panic or error ruined it.

Their defence was excellent, but we still should have found a way through given that we must have been in their 22 for about 35 minutes of that second half

SHC's passing was good last week, I went through the game again as I always do and he made one bad pass, the rest were either okay or spot on.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 pm

I went through the game again as I always do

:eek: Seek help TH and fast! :)
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:03 am

It was SHC's best game in a while I thought and Weir has been a good addition. Toolis was excellent yet again and some more promise from Dean.

However, just end the season now. It's inexcusable to have so much possession and territory and get hee haw from the game! So poor, so very poor.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:06 am

Can't fault the effort tonight, just lacked that bit of guile to open them up. Their defence was very effective, and conditions didn't make for fast handling rugby, Definitely an improvement on last week though.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:13 am

Are you kidding about SHC? The number of passes that made the first receiver either have to jump to take them or forced them to stand still was ridiculous. I thought his service was poor again. I think a lot of people are so desperate for him to find form that they're seeing what they want to see.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:01 am

As others have said, no complaints on effort and endeavour In conditions that actually made the portaloos seem like a nice place to be!

Both defences were heroic with some thunderous tackling going on and the difference between the two sides was thin and restricted to (1) errors with Ospreys making slightly fewer in awful conditions , and (2) one backs move from Ospreys with a brilliant inside pass to a runner on the angle to unlock us for the try. We of course cannot counter this kind of stuff as we don't have any backs moves.

I thought Holland could have got in at the end of the 1st half if he had backed himself by using the conditions to slide in for the corner instead of cutting inside and the most unusual of Clancy decisions on the night was not to give us a bit more when they constantly infringed defending their goal line in 2nd half. I could be wrong however as was probably suffering the effects of 1st stage hypothermia by then!

No idea how Toolis and Du Perez managed to go the full 80 in that last night, they were immense. Toolis in particular was colossal in both in defence and carrying ball. I'm not in any way religious but I'm praying for Dicko just in case there is something in it.

Chat on the way back to the car was about the relief that there are only 2 more games to endure at Myreside before we get to the close season, can we do anything against a side flying high in the French top flight in the Challenge Cup, and what would be a safe distance to travel from the UK after the Glasgow fixture at Scotstoun? We were not in our happy place.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:18 am

One piece of Sam Davies magic on a filthy night sealed it.
Edinburgh tried hard but up against the elements and a well drilled defence could create little.
Hoyland really should have scored at end of 1st half but its sadly pretty typical of Edinburgh (Tom Brown last week)
End of the season will be a relief.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:03 am

Think that's a bit unfair on Hoyland. We were sat right in front of that piece of action, and the instant it looked like there was a chance for him to score a small swarm of Ospreys defenders appeared in front of him and I really couldn't see him getting through to the line. I'd put that one down to excellent defence rather than him messing it up.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:25 am

Crichton Gunner wrote:Think that's a bit unfair on Hoyland. We were sat right in front of that piece of action, and the instant it looked like there was a chance for him to score a small swarm of Ospreys defenders appeared in front of him and I really couldn't see him getting through to the line. I'd put that one down to excellent defence rather than him messing it up.

Just had a look on the iPlayer and it looks like he catches the ball and immediately veers left infield into the cover defence. With his pace, if he takes that ball and fixes the corner flag, I'm certain he would have been in there. That said being a winger on a night like that must really suck!
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:38 am

I blogged the Hoyland thing after checking Iplayer & concur with Wottie
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:07 pm

Wottie wrote:
No idea how Toolis and Du Perez managed to go the full 80 in that last night, they were immense. Toolis in particular was colossal in both in defence and carrying ball. I'm not in any way religious but I'm praying for Dicko just in case there is something in it.

Was du Preez immense? I don't think he's being used properly - he was unstoppable in the wide channels last year and it was his very impressive footwork and soft skills that beat defenders but we're not seeing that enough this year. He also looks a bit unfit.

I'm starting to wonder if he and Bradbury can play in the same back row - both prefer being in wider spaces rather than the grunt work up front so I don't like the balance.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Agree with that in terms of the player he is now v the pre-injury Du Preez FKL, but to go 80 minutes in those conditions fielding dozens of kicks back in the 22 and running them up hard the way he did was immense in my opinion. Did you really expect him to have very impressive footwork and soft skills that beat defenders last night? :eek:

Don't worry, a break, pre-season and a new coach and we will have the old Cornell back I'm sure. In the meantime I'm sticking with what I said based on the sheer graft he put in last night right to the end.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 pm

A LBP in those conditions against the side now top of the table isn't normally to be sniffed at. But so bloody close to winning it :(
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:01 pm

Wottie wrote:Agree with that in terms of the player he is now v the pre-injury Du Preez FKL, but to go 80 minutes in those conditions fielding dozens of kicks back in the 22 and running them up hard the way he did was immense in my opinion. Did you really expect him to have very impressive footwork and soft skills that beat defenders last night? :eek:

Don't worry, a break, pre-season and a new coach and we will have the old Cornell back I'm sure. In the meantime I'm sticking with what I said based on the sheer graft he put in last night right to the end.

That's fair. He just set such high standards for himself last year and hasn't quite lived up to them this year but his work ethic last night was terrific. It was weather that even Noah would've found extreme so perhaps my criticism is harsh.

Hopefully Cockerill does get the best out of him because Bradbury, Watson and du Preez could well be one of the best back rows (if not the best) in the Pro12 if Cockerill can get the balance right and allow them in to do significant damage in the wide channels so long as they also do their fair share of grunt work.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum