Playing the long game

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Playing the long game

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:13 pm

I see Piers Francis has got another season of super rugby.

As someone whose quite fond of berating players it made me think Francis was a player that came in for a bit of stick from quite a few folk.

So if we were sniffing around blues players they're going to ask him what it's like here. He probably won't be too kind and perhaps express negative views.

Maybe we should be more aware of what the long term impact might be next time we're getting stuck into players
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Re: Playing the long game

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:29 pm

He might but we also offered him a contract and gave him chances when nobody else was interested. If he is honest he will know he didn't make the most of it. I th No the issue wasn't with Francis, the coaches gave him a strong of games to prove himself. The issue was that at the time fans thought there were local guys who weren't getting the same opportunity, which to an extent was true.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:12 am

If we do sign anyone from the Blues they'll be squad fillers happy for the increased wedge or a Scottish qualified player coming over to put their hat in for Scotland selection (is Ihaia West SQ? I think I've heard he is..). So whatever Francis says probably won't matter to them anyhow.

Francis wasn't very good here either, fair play to him for latching on at the Blues and presumably a big money Aviva Premiership deal is on its way to him but he wouldn't be the player he is if he'd stayed here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:46 am

GaryIPA wrote:Maybe we should be more aware of what the long term impact might be next time we're getting stuck into players

Absolutely. This ties into what Fraser Brown was saying the other day as well.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:04 am

:above: :above:
Frenchy wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:Maybe we should be more aware of what the long term impact might be next time we're getting stuck into players

Absolutely. This ties into what Fraser Brown was saying the other day as well.

:above:
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:50 pm

Yes he had his injury problems at Edinburgh Rugby but he didn't do the business on the pitch when he had his chances.
All he was to me was a loud mouth at the back of the stand.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:58 am

Oldsalt wrote:Yes he had his injury problems at Edinburgh Rugby but he didn't do the business on the pitch when he had his chances.

did Brown ever take the field for Edinburgh?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:09 am

joe soap wrote:
Oldsalt wrote:Yes he had his injury problems at Edinburgh Rugby but he didn't do the business on the pitch when he had his chances.

bump
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:06 am

joe soap wrote:
joe soap wrote:

bump

No - not in a competitive game anyway.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:58 pm

disco wrote:
joe soap wrote:

No - not in a competitive game anyway.

thought so.

so the question remains (not for disco) all the chances he got on the pitch were where exactly?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GuitarHero on Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:07 pm

joe soap wrote:

I may be wrong, but I believe OldSalt's original comment was referring to Piers Francis (as he was the initial subject of this thread), not Fraser Brown. If you look at it in that regard then the comment makes a lot more sense.
GuitarHero
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:58 pm

GuitarHero wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe OldSalt's original comment was referring to Piers Francis (as he was the initial subject of this thread), not Fraser Brown. If you look at it in that regard then the comment makes a lot more sense.

would make more sense. Always a problem if you don't quote what you are referring to :!:
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you Guitarhero, I do try to stick to the title of the thread and not drift off track. :)
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum