Challenge Cup Quarter: ER v La Rochelle (8pm 31/03)

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Challenge Cup Quarter: ER v La Rochelle (8pm 31/03)

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:09 am

crabbie wrote:Tom English not holding back on Kinghorns pathetic attempted tackle and sliced kicks
Too much hype from media regarding this player me thinks

No

Kinghorn was our best back in the first half of the season, it wasn't hype.

You simply cannot expect a guy who turned 20 a couple of months ago to carry a SteveWalsh professional rugby team up against "proper" professional teams.

Individually the players are good, but they are a SteveWalsh team just now
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:15 am

I will be a lone voice here then in thinking Edinburgh actually played very well tonight and deserve 10/10 for a very good effort. They came close to beating the top team in the French league and didn't look at all outclassed. One bit of luck and they'd have been through to the semis, against a fine team that should really be playing in the big Cup.

It was a great game and you inevitably get a few fumbles and errors when you're playing at that speed and intensity. One thing that was refreshingly different was the lack of persistent professional cheating by La Roch, a nice change from playing the Irish and Welsh teams!

I thought SHC had a good game, far better service and he really put himself about, loved it when Retier got away from him and he powered after him and brought him down, that's the stuff! Dean did very well too, forget the hiccup, he is shaping up nicely in attack. And lovely try from Phil Burleigh, who looked close to his best tonight. All the backs were good, Weir played very well when he came on, Tom Brown worked his socks off for 80 mins and I thought Kinghorn was good, wouldn't fault him too much for the missed tackle on Retier, in slowmo the guy twisted away from it and the chance was gone; these things happen at that speed.

Great stint by the pack too, a few things didn't quite click but the effort and intensity were impressive, some smashing performances there. Watson is just immense, but I thought all 8 plus bench put in a great innings. Good to see Ford, Mata, Gilchrist, McCallum etc really going for it.

The team and much-maligned coaches - not least by me - deserve a big pat on the back for that display, that is more like it.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:28 am

royc wrote: ...... you inevitably get a few fumbles and errors when you're playing at that speed and intensity ....

You win the prize for the understatement of the year so far royc. Error count was completely off the scale and unacceptable at that level. We regularly lost the ball in contact, knocked on and the lineout was not good enough. Errors lost us possession and field position at the start of the game and lost us the 1st two tries to driving mauls. Do those basics right and we win that game tonight reasonably comfortably, as everything you say is correct. That's why it's really frustrating.

Think Hamish may have played himself onto the plane to NZ tonight. He was outstanding and fair play to the scrum that looked solid against a massive french pack.
Last edited by Wottie on Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:50 am

Tichtheid wrote:
crabbie wrote:Tom English not holding back on Kinghorns pathetic attempted tackle and sliced kicks

No

You simply cannot expect a guy who turned 20 a couple of months ago to carry a SteveWalsh professional rugby team up against "proper" professional teams.

To be fair to Kinghorn, he has come to us at 18 and has been asked to switch to a position he had never played before and thrown straight into our first team. He hasn't had any club rugby to develop. There's no experienced full back for him to learn from either. He's a brilliant player but could do with a bit more guidance than he's had.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:22 am

macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

No

To be fair to Kinghorn, he has come to us at 18 and has been asked to switch to a position he had never played before and thrown straight into our first team. He hasn't had any club rugby to develop. There's no experienced full back for him to learn from either. He's a brilliant player but could do with a bit more guidance than he's had.

This. He should be a bit part player filling in now and again. Not first choice
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:36 am

macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

No

Never played before?
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby byro on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:16 am

royc wrote:I will be a lone voice here then in thinking Edinburgh actually played very well tonight and deserve 10/10 for a very good effort. They came close to beating the top team in the French league and didn't look at all outclassed. One bit of luck and they'd have been through to the semis, against a fine team that should really be playing in the big Cup.

It was a great game and you inevitably get a few fumbles and errors when you're playing at that speed and intensity. One thing that was refreshingly different was the lack of persistent professional cheating by La Roch, a nice change from playing the Irish and Welsh teams!

I thought SHC had a good game, far better service and he really put himself about, loved it when Retier got away from him and he powered after him and brought him down, that's the stuff! Dean did very well too, forget the hiccup, he is shaping up nicely in attack. And lovely try from Phil Burleigh, who looked close to his best tonight. All the backs were good, Weir played very well when he came on, Tom Brown worked his socks off for 80 mins and I thought Kinghorn was good, wouldn't fault him too much for the missed tackle on Retier, in slowmo the guy twisted away from it and the chance was gone; these things happen at that speed.

Great stint by the pack too, a few things didn't quite click but the effort and intensity were impressive, some smashing performances there. Watson is just immense, but I thought all 8 plus bench put in a great innings. Good to see Ford, Mata, Gilchrist, McCallum etc really going for it.

The team and much-maligned coaches - not least by me - deserve a big pat on the back for that display, that is more like it.

I was listening to bbc Scotland radio last night .the commentators and pundits didn't hold back on their criticism of the mediocrity of this Edinburgh team.
You must have been to a different game .
byro
Established pro

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:22 am

Unfortunately this is the mediocrity folk have been sucked into finding acceptable
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:26 am

Maybe royc is being sarcastic!
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:05 am

Maybe it was just because I had low expectations, but I really enjoyed the game.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:06 am

I'm sort of with Royc on this one. We played better than I expected for most of the game, and there were a lot of good performances on the night. Overall, it was an entertaining game, with both sides playing some good, attacking rugby. They were clearly the better side, and the speed of their passing, offloading and general back play was good to watch.

I'd disagree about Weir though. I thought he was pretty poor, being stripped of the ball in contact twice. I also think we made too many basic errors to beat a side of that class; our turnover count was terrible, and our set piece fell apart in the last 10 mins, ending any chance we had. My biggest frustration is how soft we were in the first half; conceding 4 tries in the first half and none in the second tells you something.

One of the surprising things about La Rochelle was that they weren't massive. They had some decent sized ball carriers but compared to a lot of French teams they looked quite normal sized. I liked the way they played, and good luck to them in the rest of the competition.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:19 am

GaryIPA wrote:
macdone wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:No

No he shouldn't. Kinghorn has shown he deserves to be a starting fullback in the Pro12 the guy is a class act. I'd rather have Kinghorn as my starting 15 than most in the Pro12 - we aren't going to sign a better fullback than him either.

The problem is he has always been a shaky tackler with poor technique and it has not improved in two years - that is on the coaches as their job is to erm coach?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 am

Watching the game back this morning who on earth is calling line outs?

Went to Gilchrist 3(!!!!!) times in a row on their five metre line so they stole the third. That is the problem with Mata without Bradbury because he isn't a jumper. Still awful lineout calling though.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:39 am

Frenchy wrote:Maybe it was just because I had low expectations, but I really enjoyed the game.

Fair play
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:43 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:

No he shouldn't. Kinghorn has shown he deserves to be a starting fullback in the Pro12 the guy is a class act. I'd rather have Kinghorn as my starting 15 than most in the Pro12 - we aren't going to sign a better fullback than him either.

The problem is he has always been a shaky tackler with poor technique and it has not improved in two years - that is on the coaches as their job is to erm coach?

It's acceptance of this kind of mediocrity that gets us in 10th place good enough for the squad. Not as a starter. And the coaches.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum