The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby biffer on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:I think we are Gary, folk that are going along at present will go and watch wherever and probably whatever Edinburgh go/do.

There was a clear drop in attendance of ST holders who would just not entertain going to myreside even for the trial period.

Pitch has got to be a big factor, no point moving to move back every time it gets chilly.

ER rightly have to weigh up investing in the myreside pitch or on stands on the back pitches.But they have to be get it right one way or the other.

Family commitments have meant attending rugby for my friends and I has dropped down the scale with a ST not cost effective. Having gone to the Saracens game last season it was like taking a step back 20 years. As a location there’s nothing there to encourage me to go and it’s only now the standard of rugby is making me consider going more often.

There’s a big whinge on the go on the Glasgow site about the facilities at Murrayfield there are aspects that could be better but night and day compared to Myreside

Yeah, but that whinge on the Glasgow board is from the small contingent who will always say 'it's East Coast so it's obviously worse than everything in Glasgow'.

It started with someone saying that Hampden is a better stadium than Murrayfield. Including the food and beer. That's the level of debate.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 am

That would be the same group who were touting Finn Russell as the best 10 in the world and Glasgow as contenders for winning in Europe?

The facilities at Myrseide or the proposed new stadium at Murrayfield will be on a par with Scotstoun. Which is fine. The irony of demanding 5 star catering and facilities in Edinburgh while being delighted with a pop up stadium of their own and portaloos.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 am

Moaning about a stadium rebuilt 20+(?) years ago FFS, of course newer stadiums will be designed better but you can't just rebuild every few years. I think murrayfield has the big events down pretty well now.

Would say the Huxley running the bar was one of the positives to take from myreside thought the food offerings were very good and well staffed in the times I had been in.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:27 pm

A stadium on the MF back pitches won't have an artificial 3G pitch surface as things stand. There is an existing 3g pitch, but is up in the north-east corner, with the coach park at one end and parking down one side, so it would not be feasible to build temp stands around it.

Which suggests that the SRU either think the existing grass surface will be fine for our one outing a week, or will put in a 3g pitch before the move. Either way, I'd be surprised if the move happens before next season, what with internal approval needed, planning permission, site work (lots of pipes and wires, access concourse and so on), pitch, etc.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:01 pm

It had been suggested to me that a lot of prep work (planning paperwork) had been done for a previous now dead build, although I have to agree that it doesn’t seem likely that anything could be put in place before the start of next season and even then that may be optimistic.
Pitfitter

Postby Bob on Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 pm

The back pitches won't solve everything - it's fairly exposed out there so unless there's going to be a roof on it, it'll still be proper cold in December.

It would be easier to get to than myreside though and i'd probably go to more games. Its easy to convince myself and others to hop on a tram if we've had a few beers in town after work on a friday.
Bob
One cap wonder

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 pm

Pitfitter wrote:It had been suggested to me that a lot of prep work (planning paperwork) had been done for a previous now dead build, although I have to agree that it doesn’t seem likely that anything could be put in place before the start of next season and even then that may be optimistic.

Depends how permanent it is going to be. It could be built in a week if it is all temps. Which might not be the worst idea to see how it works. Plenty of room for toilets etc to be added.

I would think the best option might be to build a single stand not dissimilar to Scotstoun then have a decent sized temp stand opposite with covered terrace at each end. Lower cost and flexible. If it is a roaring success then just swap the temps for bigger stands.

Agree about the roof though, would definitely need that.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Was at the Scotland v France game on Sunday, first international for a few games and saw the SRU are now using the car park area for bars and food franchises and that the back pitches were used for stage for band etc. It worked really well and relieved the pressure from the usual pinch points around the ground. The SRU must be generating pretty good revenues now from internationals? However I was wondering how that set up would work with our temp/permanent 'mini Murrayfield' in place? It would be good to see a complete, joined up SRU plan for the whole of Murrayfield including our new home, proposed hotel, space for internationals, redevelopment of car park space, etc. etc. Otherwise it is difficult to know how all the proposals link up into one master plan. Even more important if they got the SFA wendyball games as well!
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby dunna on Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 pm

doedin wrote:Was at the Scotland v France game on Sunday, first international for a few games and saw the SRU are now using the car park area for bars and food franchises and that the back pitches were used for stage for band etc. It worked really well and relieved the pressure from the usual pinch points around the ground. The SRU must be generating pretty good revenues now from internationals? However I was wondering how that set up would work with our temp/permanent 'mini Murrayfield' in place? It would be good to see a complete, joined up SRU plan for the whole of Murrayfield including our new home, proposed hotel, space for internationals, redevelopment of car park space, etc. etc. Otherwise it is difficult to know how all the proposals link up into one master plan. Even more important if they got the SFA wendyball games as well!

Went to a Q&A with Townsend and Dobson. Dobson was very open about his desire to bring football to Murrayfield in order to generate some cash. I was amazed that there are only 12 ‘boxes’ at Murrayfield compared to 100+ at the Millennium and Twickenham. It takes Scotland a whole year to generate anything like the English and Welsh do over 1 match.
dunna
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 pm

Bob wrote:The back pitches won't solve everything - it's fairly exposed out there so unless there's going to be a roof on it, it'll still be proper cold in December.

Rugby is an outdoor winter sport and Scotland is cold in the winter! Wear warmer clothes, and bring a tartan blanket if you must :wink: , but please don’t moan about getting cold when watching rugby :eek:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Cammo Gunner on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:50 pm

djphilp wrote:
Bob wrote:The back pitches won't solve everything - it's fairly exposed out there so unless there's going to be a roof on it, it'll still be proper cold in December.

Rugby is an outdoor winter sport and Scotland is cold in the winter! Wear warmer clothes, and bring a tartan blanket if you must :wink: , but please don’t moan about getting cold when watching rugby :eek:

THIS :!: :!: :!: :above:
Cammo Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:26 am

Gloves, Edinburgh beanie hat and a flask full of Talisker will get you through the worst of the Scottish winter

Bunnahabhain if you're feeling exotic.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 am

Tichtheid wrote:Gloves, Edinburgh beanie hat and a flask full of Talisker will get you through the worst of the Scottish winter

Bunnahabhain if you're feeling exotic.

That always fs me over
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:15 am

Cammo Gunner wrote:
djphilp wrote:

THIS :!: :!: :!: :above:

Won't encourage the folk who don't come now to start
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

The model for a "temporary" stadium has been set in Christchurch post the 2011 Earthquake. Fantastic ground!

https://www.ausleisure.com.au/news/chri ... nger-life/
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum