The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby Wottie on Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:58 pm

So the Myreside Trial has yielded zero victories from 4 Pro12 games (with one game left against Newport). Got to question the logic of starting this mid-season when the team was struggling anyway (as indeed I did at Petrie's session at Murrayfield when the trial was announced).

On the positive side, all have been really close defeats with the team playing like they have all only just met!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Le Jock Sportif on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:23 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
bignose wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:I agree Dolf.

To be fair, Myreside isn't as good a venue as Murrayfield but fundamentally one is a rugby ground built to comfortably fit 60,000 and one is a school ground built without the intention of ever becoming a professional stadium.

Myreside has its faults and I think the club should sit down with fans over summer and make improvements. However I think if we ever get good we'll need more than 7,000 capacity so move back to Murrayfield.

Then why are we p*ssing around there? (or not, given the toilet situation)

I can see not a single redeeming feature at Myreside.

we are where Glasgow were 20 years ago we're that far behind them on and off the pitch

+1
I'm only responsible for what I say, not what you understand.
Le Jock Sportif
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:42 pm

I thought Myreside was good tonight. When the weather is decent it's a good venue.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:I thought Myreside was good tonight. When the weather is decent it's a good venue.

To be fair it did seem a much better place for the 15 minutes when we played well and scored 3 tries in a row too.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:21 am

What was last nights crowd size? Can't see it in reports..
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:35 am

Not sure, but it was small. Would have been dismal inside Murrayfield, but worked ok at Myreside.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:46 am

GaryIPA wrote:What was last nights crowd size? Can't see it in reports..

Came up on screen on BBC Alba near the end. Think it was 3198 - but I might have the last three digits in the wrong order.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:08 am

Frenchy wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:What was last nights crowd size? Can't see it in reports..

Came up on screen on BBC Alba near the end. Think it was 3198 - but I might have the last three digits in the wrong order.

Cheers
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Bob on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:17 am

the missus went to the game lastnight and thought it was fine, apart from the standard of rugby. I think myreside has come on a lot since the first game there, but a drop in crowd numbers may have helped.

Still unlikely to renew my ST (due to how bad Edinburgh are rather than the move to myreside) but will go to the odd game
Bob
One cap wonder

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:24 am

To me the biggest issue with Myerside is the product on the pitch, nothing to do with the stadium. If we were winning every other week (or at least competitive) then everything else wouldn't matter.

Myerside is fine for our needs, MF is too big as has been said by many fans for years, Myerside is far more suited to our needs and some of the issues people have been calling out can and I suspect will be fixed. We have to consider this was only a trial, so they haven't spent a lot to date. I would imagine over the summer there will be work to build/source some better toilet facilities, as well as moving the TV/Coaches box.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Ron on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:30 am

EWT spoons wrote:To me the biggest issue with Myerside is the product on the pitch, nothing to do with the stadium.

The same is true of Murrayfield.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:34 am

Ron wrote:
EWT spoons wrote:To me the biggest issue with Myerside is the product on the pitch, nothing to do with the stadium.

Exactly, hence the point Myerside isn't the problem.
EWT spoons
International

Postby bignose on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 am

EWT spoons wrote:
Ron wrote:

Exactly, hence the point Myerside isn't the problem.

Or more correctly, Murrayfield isn't the problem either.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:21 pm

bignose wrote:

No I would say more correctly is Myerside isn't the problem. Murrayfield is too big, no matter how well the team play, we are unlikely to get even close to filling it, or even getting enough people in to generate a bit of atmosphere. Sure in a one off game we might get a decent number through the door, but for 90% of games it's far too big.

Myerside doesn't have that issue, we could genuinely fill Myerside, but because we are losing each week people are turned off from attending. Also due to the terrible product on the pitch people find issue with other things, if we were winning each week I doubt folk would care they have to wait an extra couple of mins to get through the gates, or that the queue for food & drink is slightly longer. That's not to say Myerside doesn't have genuine issues, but they are largely fixable, like the club have done with the new disabled area.
EWT spoons
International

Postby bignose on Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:34 pm

EWT spoons wrote:
bignose wrote:

No I would say more correctly is Myerside isn't the problem. Murrayfield is too big

Obviously we have different opinions here.

EWT spoons wrote:.., no matter how well the team play, we are unlikely to get even close to filling it, ...

Agreed.

EWT spoons wrote:or even getting enough people in to generate a bit of atmosphere.

And this is where I fundamentally disagree with you. If 200 Leinster or Munster fans can generate an atmosphere in Murrayfield - as they have, repeatedly - then that shows it's possible. The problem with the atmosphere is (a) the Librarians and (b) the rugby on the pitch (in *that* order).

It makes no difference where you put them, Edinburgh fans are currently (and traditionally) at the bottom of the league for making noise and building an atmosphere. Blaming the stadium or claiming that Myreside will magically improve that is just nonsense (IMHO).
bignose
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum