The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby jodo on Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Personally I don't care if I don't have my reserved seat for the next 3 home games as long as we keep on winning.

I'd assume that tickets will be issued for the Glasgow game as in the past. I'd think it's probably too late to allocate seats for the Munster game (which was always going to be played at Murrayfield in any case). We're only talking about two games.

I do understand that it is more of an issue for others. Surely the obvious solution would have been to open 2 sections of the upper East Stand.
jodo
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:39 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:Wonder if this will have Gary IPA calling for Petrie's head? :lol:

seen nothing to change my mind, for the stuff off the pitch anyway.

Guess who just appeared as a fb friend recommendation!!?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:31 am

GaryIPA wrote:
GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:Wonder if this will have Gary IPA calling for Petrie's head? :lol:

seen nothing to change my mind, for the stuff off the pitch anyway.

Guess who just appeared as a fb friend recommendation!!?

Good grief. Looks like Facebook need to overhaul their algorithms!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Chris on Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 am

http://www.edinburghrugby.org/news/18/0 ... t-myreside

"Following a review of the partnership between Edinburgh Rugby and George Watson's College, it can be confirmed that Edinburgh Rugby has exercised its option not to continue using Myreside as the club’s home venue.

The club and the school have enjoyed a very positive relationship since first exploring the feasibility of moving Edinburgh matches to Myreside two years ago. Both sides look forward to continuing that co-operation in the future, with Myreside remaining a potential host venue for future Scottish Rugby representative matches such as the Scotland U20 match against England U20 which took place successfully last Friday.

Edinburgh Rugby will now continue to develop its ambitious plans for a suitable home venue and will share this vision with supporters as soon as possible."
Chris
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:01 pm

Fair enough, I like the fact they think it is going to be ambitious and does suggest the back pitches.

The issue may be timing, there wont be cash straight away even if they get the go ahead for the hotels etc on Murrayfield so may not be in the short term.

One thing we need to be careful about is everything being temporary and a trial. The Borders failed partyly because it never felt secure, the fudning was always on the edge so it was hard for locals to really buy into something they felt could be taken away at short notice. The lease on Netherdale was one of the few things which were long term and Cranston was slated for that, however if everything had that feeling of permenancy then it is easier to build.

So we need to be careful not to have too many trials at Meggatland or Myrside.

Whats the latest on Accies? I'm not in favour of that option and cant really understand why Accies want to over engineer to that extent but it is an option.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:44 pm

Don’t think Accies was ever going to be big enough, was the stand not only a couple of thousand and would require temp stands like Myreside and unless they were putting in an artificial pitch I would imagine would have same issues as Myreside with overuse through the winter as well. Although clubhouse etc would be more permanent.

Sure I also read somewhere the artificial pitch out the back of Murrayfield was nearing the end of its life and was needing replaced soon which may also be a factor rather than spend on one at Myreside and at Murrayfield.

Myreside worth the experiment to my mind, but need to get it right wherever we go next.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Fergei on Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Hearts FC have announced they are getting a hybrid pitch at Tynecastle. I'd like to think that it'd be an option that could be considered, although it's not the largest of pitches. It'd be if mutual benefit though and probably still a reasonable atmosphere with 5-6000 folk inside.
Fergei
Embra Debut

Postby macdone on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Don’t think Accies was ever going to be big enough, was the stand not only a couple of thousand and would require temp stands like Myreside and unless they were putting in an artificial pitch I would imagine would have same issues as Myreside with overuse through the winter as well. Although clubhouse etc would be more permanent.

Sure I also read somewhere the artificial pitch out the back of Murrayfield was nearing the end of its life and was needing replaced soon which may also be a factor rather than spend on one at Myreside and at Murrayfield.

Myreside worth the experiment to my mind, but need to get it right wherever we go next.

Is there much point in the back pitch option right now?

I was in favour of the myreside trial but it also showed we are far from being a world class operation off the pitch. If we have a few hundred thousand spare I think I'd be more confident giving it to Cockers rather than spending it off the pitch.

Nobody wants to be associated with a bunch of losers. If we finally start getting sustained success on the pitch for 3 or 4 years we will suddenly find a lot more stadium options \ developments open to us.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:38 pm

macdone wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:Don’t think Accies was ever going to be big enough, was the stand not only a couple of thousand and would require temp stands like Myreside and unless they were putting in an artificial pitch I would imagine would have same issues as Myreside with overuse through the winter as well. Although clubhouse etc would be more permanent.

Is there much point in the back pitch option right now?

I was in favour of the myreside trial but it also showed we are far from being a world class operation off the pitch. If we have a few hundred thousand spare I think I'd be more confident giving it to Cockers rather than spending it off the pitch.

Think positive...where you going to play your games in the Champions cup next season? Still think Murrayfield is too big but where else is there? Or maybe Cocks like the wide open spaces that the library gives him.

Nobody wants to be associated with a bunch of losers. If we finally start getting sustained success on the pitch for 3 or 4 years we will suddenly find a lot more stadium options \ developments open to us.
KenMavor
International

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:47 pm

Both big Murrayfield and Myreside have proved to be divisive and largely unsuitable to Edinburghs needs one way or the other so we need to try something else. I have said it before but personally I think we have to get away from moving every “big” game to the main pitch at Murrayfield, so long as there is always capacity a significant number of fans will only come to the big games.

If we want the fan base to grow sustainably we need to sell more STs. To do that firstly we have to be winning and playing rugby people want to see, which we appear to be progressing towards, but it would also help if the only way to guarantee a ticket for the big games was to have an ST. Now I appreciate that not everyone can afford an ST be it financially or the regular time commitment etc but we need to increase demand and if there is only 7.5k tickets available to see Hamish run over Racing 92s Finn Russell next season that is good thing in my opinion.

Given our current crowd numbers we are a bit away from worrying about filling a 7.5k seater but we need to start somewhere, commit to the temp stands on the back pitches for the length of Cockerills contract and see where we end up, if we are selling out every home game within 2 seasons and need more capacity great, I don’t see any other more viable options at present there just isn't a suitable venue now or on the cards anywhere in the city I can see for the foreseeable future.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:00 pm

Totally agree TFG. 7,500 seat temp stadium on the back pitches can easily be temporarily flexed to add a few thousand seats for the bigger games and in the meantime, create demand tension in a smaller stadium which will hopefully also have a better atmosphere develop. I'm looking forward to seeing what is proposed. it is likely that it will not have stands on all sides (maybe only down the two main sides), so relatively easy to flex for big games as they did at Scotstoun for the sevens for example.

Open ends will make life very interesting for Kinghorn under the high ball however :eek:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Both big Murrayfield and Myreside have proved to be divisive and largely unsuitable to Edinburghs needs one way or the other so we need to try something else. I have said it before but personally I think we have to get away from moving every “big” game to the main pitch at Murrayfield, so long as there is always capacity a significant number of fans will only come to the big games.

If we want the fan base to grow sustainably we need to sell more STs. To do that firstly we have to be winning and playing rugby people want to see, which we appear to be progressing towards, but it would also help if the only way to guarantee a ticket for the big games was to have an ST. Now I appreciate that not everyone can afford an ST be it financially or the regular time commitment etc but we need to increase demand and if there is only 7.5k tickets available to see Hamish run over Racing 92s Finn Russell next season that is good thing in my opinion.

Given our current crowd numbers we are a bit away from worrying about filling a 7.5k seater but we need to start somewhere, commit to the temp stands on the back pitches for the length of Cockerills contract and see where we end up, if we are selling out every home game within 2 seasons and need more capacity great, I don’t see any other more viable options at present there just isn't a suitable venue now or on the cards anywhere in the city I can see for the foreseeable future.

Agree almost wholly with TFG's seminal post. My one point of departure is that I thought Myreside was a distinct improvement on the Library. At BTM, the wee quiet crowd in a cavernous empty stadium always felt a bit odd to me. When I took a party there, the lady members were shuffling their feet at half-time and wondering if we couldn't leave and go somewhere else please? I only got up from London for two Myreside games this season and only took one party of family and chums, but that went pretty well and they all seemed to like the clubhouse, the new outside caterers were a big improvement and everyone seemed to think it was a good night out. I appreciate that others have different experiences and views.

The only reason we are leaving Myreside I think is because of the pitch becoming unplayable, everything else came together eventually. If we had stayed, the SRU/school would have needed to invest in an artificial pitch for next term and, at something like £800K, I can well understand that the school were not able/willing to go halves and that the SRU accordingly prioritised replacing the 3G pitch at BTM.

All that said, very happy to be going to a new temp stadium on the Murrayfield back pitches. The big advantage there, unlike Myreside, Raeburn Place and all the other oft-debated contenders, is that there is enough space there to develop a suitable stadium, with room to spare. Myreside was one restricted pitch, Accies use their small ground for cricket in summer, which rules out more stands and an artificial pitch surface, etc. At BTM, with 4 near-enough international-size pitches on the back pitches, there is the space to get the right stadium configuration, with the flexibilty to expand.

As the SRU owns the land, there is no rent payment involved, which is a definite plus. Nearly all the facilities are already on site, parking, access roads, security, changing rooms, medical facilities, Presidents Suite etc, etc. If the SRU can stretch resources to provide a 7,500 temp stand and an artificial pitch surface, I'd say we are very lucky bunnies indeed and should (a) thank Mark Dodson and the SRU profusely and (b) ALL get behind the plan and make it work now, it is the very best option in town.

The dyed-in-the-wool rugby afficionados who think stadium facilities and atmosphere are a minor consideration next to winning rugby are welcome to take my picky group of casual attenders any time and see how that one plays!
royc
World Cup Star

Postby macdone on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:23 am

Ultimately less people came to Myreside for whatever reason.

I'm nervous about Edinburgh having another go at building something with temporary facilities because of the delivery of the Myreside experience. The humiliation of disabled supporters was quite a damaging episode for the club and I'd hate to see a repeat of that. Many wheelchair users never came back - although a couple have returned since the move back to Murrayfield.

Facilities and atmosphere aren't a minor consideration but if you don't get results even the best stadiums will lie empty. We have had zero success as a professional club, not a single trophy. The popularity of rugby in Dublin has skyrocketed with Leinster´s success. Lots more kids play and they now have the best academy players in Europe as a result. That's where we have to get to. So if there's a few hundred thousand spare kicking about let's give it to Cockerill. They certainly shouldn't spend 800k on a new pitch on our behalf.
macdone
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Sat May 05, 2018 7:27 pm

From the email tonight it sounds like we may hear of the future plans shortly.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat May 05, 2018 8:38 pm

Email?
Pitfitter

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum