The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby EWT spoons on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:32 pm

bignose wrote:
EWT spoons wrote:
bignose wrote:
Or more correctly, Murrayfield isn't the problem either.

No I would say more correctly is Myerside isn't the problem. Murrayfield is too big

Obviously we have different opinions here.

EWT spoons wrote:.., no matter how well the team play, we are unlikely to get even close to filling it, ...

Agreed.

EWT spoons wrote:or even getting enough people in to generate a bit of atmosphere.

And this is where I fundamentally disagree with you. If 200 Leinster or Munster fans can generate an atmosphere in Murrayfield - as they have, repeatedly - then that shows it's possible. The problem with the atmosphere is (a) the Librarians and (b) the rugby on the pitch (in *that* order).

It makes no difference where you put them, Edinburgh fans are currently (and traditionally) at the bottom of the league for making noise and building an atmosphere. Blaming the stadium or claiming that Myreside will magically improve that is just nonsense (IMHO).

I fully agree with you that Edinburgh fans are largely terrible for generating atmosphere, and if you chucked all of them into a phone box it wouldn't greatly improve things, but what little noise they do make is not helped by MF being so vast and empty. I know some away fans have managed to generate a bit, but it's not been so much that it really stands out. Also clearly Edinburgh fans need all the help they can get, so make it somewhere easier to generate some noise, which MF is never going to be.

If we can improve things on the pitch then that'll help as well. Possibly advertising games a bit to attract fans who aren't going every week anyway would be another improvement, but that's a whole other issue.
EWT spoons
International

Postby Ron on Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:47 pm

The news today that Hearts have an agreement in principle with the SRU to play their home matches at Murrayfield next season explains a lot.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:32 pm

Not strictly true, they have agreed they'd may play some games there at the start of the season if their new stand isn't ready. So if anything it will only be a couple of games, but quite likely they won't play there at all.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Ron wrote:The news today that Hearts have an agreement in principle with the SRU to play their home matches at Murrayfield next season explains a lot.

paranoid nonsense

probably few games, pitch and weekend can easily accommodate 2 matches, extra money for Scottish rugby. What's not to like?
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:26 pm

Ron wrote:The news today that Hearts have an agreement in principle with the SRU to play their home matches at Murrayfield next season explains a lot.

Explains what?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:10 pm

Gary, simply that the trial at Myreside has been concluded and the move will be permanent but unfortunately without any consultation with the supporters or the supporters club. There's absolutely no obligation for them to do so but I would have thought it's better to try and take us with them even if the general opinion was negative.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:26 pm

Ron wrote:Gary, simply that the trial at Myreside has been concluded and the move will be permanent but unfortunately without any consultation with the supporters or the supporters club. There's absolutely no obligation for them to do so but I would have thought it's better to try and take us with them even if the general opinion was negative.

Agreed, there should be more consultation with the fans on where to improve and the logic behind the decisions but there's currently a massive disconnect.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Ron wrote:Gary, simply that the trial at Myreside has been concluded and the move will be permanent but unfortunately without any consultation with the supporters or the supporters club. There's absolutely no obligation for them to do so but I would have thought it's better to try and take us with them even if the general opinion was negative.

all well and good. And nothing to do with Murrayfield being rented out for a few soccer matches and making some much needed cash
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:28 am

Tha attending supporters are the bottom of the food chain. It's been clear to me some time.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:29 am

joe soap wrote:

all well and good. And nothing to do with Murrayfield being rented out for a few soccer matches and making some much needed cash

Looks like the European games will fall through though
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:00 am

GaryIPA wrote:
joe soap wrote:

Looks like the European games will fall through though

I blame Ron
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Ron on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:38 am

My bad.
Ron
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:55 am

AlainRolland
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Millennium stadium Drags v Scarlets. No Atmosphere but because it's a SteveWalsh game.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Tue May 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Just received an email to season ticket holders from ER (not the supporters club) with a survey about the Myreside trial. Interested to see that ALL the questions related to what I thought of Myreside and what improvements should be made, and not one question asking opinions of should we stay there, move back to Murrayfield or go elsewhere.
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum