The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:11 pm

Looks like the trial is over, all Edinburgh matched for rest of season moved to BTM.

Edinburgh will play the remainder of the 2017/18 season at BT Murrayfield as the team eyes a crucial finish to both the Guinness PRO14 and European Challenge Cup.

Richard Cockerill’s side sit third in Conference B following Friday night’s stunning victory over Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium in Belfast. Guinness PRO14 will confirm dates and times of the remaining fixtures at 3pm today (Monday 19 February).

Edinburgh will also welcome Cardiff Blues to the capital on Saturday 31 March for the European quarter-final showdown.

The club recognises that alternating between venues does not deliver a consistent matchday experience for supporters, nor does it provide consistency for Richard Cockerill’s squad in generating successful results on the pitch. The move is part of a wider review of venue operations beyond the end of the current season. Supporters will be the first to be informed of further developments when the club is able to communicate them.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:24 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:Looks like the trial is over, all Edinburgh matched for rest of season moved to BTM.

Edinburgh will play the remainder of the 2017/18 season at BT Murrayfield as the team eyes a crucial finish to both the Guinness PRO14 and European Challenge Cup.

Richard Cockerill’s side sit third in Conference B following Friday night’s stunning victory over Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium in Belfast. Guinness PRO14 will confirm dates and times of the remaining fixtures at 3pm today (Monday 19 February).

Edinburgh will also welcome Cardiff Blues to the capital on Saturday 31 March for the European quarter-final showdown.

The club recognises that alternating between venues does not deliver a consistent matchday experience for supporters, nor does it provide consistency for Richard Cockerill’s squad in generating successful results on the pitch. The move is part of a wider review of venue operations beyond the end of the current season. Supporters will be the first to be informed of further developments when the club is able to communicate them.

Fair play to the club. We didn't think it would work, they tried it and it didn't, so they have called an early halt to the situation. I do however wonder whether if we would still be farting about with it without Cockers being here advising them of the error in their ways? Onwards an upwards. Can't wait to see what is proposed for next season after the rumours in the media.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Wottie wrote:
dolf_lundgren wrote:Looks like the trial is over, all Edinburgh matched for rest of season moved to BTM.

Fair play to the club. We didn't think it would work, they tried it and it didn't, so they have called an early halt to the situation. I do however wonder whether if we would still be farting about with it without Cockers being here advising them of the error in their ways? Onwards an upwards. Can't wait to see what is proposed for next season after the rumours in the media.

Yep, that's my view as well. Let's see what the next idea is - better to try some ideas out than just talk about things for years like we have for the last decade or so.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Wonder if this will have Gary IPA calling for Petrie's head? :lol:
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:05 pm

It was worth a try, just hope we learn from it with whatever comes next. Back pitches at Murrayfield next year with a temporary stadium.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Wottie wrote:Wonder if this will have Gary IPA calling for Petrie's head? :lol:

seen nothing to change my mind, for the stuff off the pitch anyway.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:35 pm

I hope wherever we go next they take the lessons and positives from Myreside, yes I think there a few!

Temp stands really good leg room better than BTM, but there are a lot of supporters that clearly like to stand, only in the worst weather was there not a decent (relatively speaking) crowd along the touchline and banking opposite the main stand, a covered terrace of some sort I am sure would be popular.

I thought the Huxley generally did a good job, Marquee/Clubhouse was much improved under them and their food offerings were quick and very good.

Toilet provision particularly for the ladies was much better this season as the female element of the group I go with regularly points out no queues and even hot water.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:28 pm

So is mini murrayfield by consensus the preferred option? Benefits of the big stadium and the small stadium all rolled into one?
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

A mini Murrayfield would be great but, it’s unlikely, at least in the near future, so one decent main stand with the two ends from Myreside and a covered, or at least sheltered, standing area down the other side.
Decent portable toilet facilities are available and it shouldn’t be too hard to provide catering facilities surely, once the doubt regarding Myresides future was evident someone should have been tasked with an alternative plan( it maybe should have been there since the start of the experiment.) and once again some discussion with fans before final plans are laid.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:58 pm

Pitfitter wrote:A mini Murrayfield would be great but, it’s unlikely, at least in the near future, so one decent main stand with the two ends from Myreside and a covered, or at least sheltered, standing area down the other side.
Decent portable toilet facilities are available and it shouldn’t be too hard to provide catering facilities surely, once the doubt regarding Myresides future was evident someone should have been tasked with an alternative plan( it maybe should have been there since the start of the experiment.) and once again some discussion with fans before final plans are laid.

Any sheltered terracing needs a rake on it too.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby sammy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:06 pm

It was mentioned on the Cardiff thread about opening the upper east rather than the corners. The rest of the season would be a great time put this in place. The improved performance and optimism could attract new customers, but they might be put off if stuck in the corners when much better seats are being left empty. We've a few home game to come so match package deal might also be worth considering. Not sure how best to give my fan feedback to Edinburgh though. One lonely voice is unlikely to make them think again, but you never know.

I had a really great seat at Myreside, was really close to my home, and it defiantly felt livelier at times , but moving it back and forward wasn't sustainable. My BIL wandered down for a game having checked the fixture the day before only to find out it had been moved, I've been keeping him informed ever since. I doubt he complained, but I'm sure others might have. Have high hopes for the mini Murrayfield taking the best from both existing grounds.
Last edited by sammy on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy
sammy
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:34 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:...but there are a lot of supporters that clearly like to stand, only in the worst weather was there not a decent (relatively speaking) crowd along the touchline and banking opposite the main stand...

Some of this may well have been down rot a lot of peoples preference to watch rugby from the side lines rather than from behind the posts
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:42 pm

Personally we prefer around one of the 10m lines, maybe because us oldies have eyesight that means I can't see from one end of the pitch to the other so good now. :lol:
Pitfitter

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:51 pm

sammy wrote: Not sure how best to give my fan feedback to Edinburgh though. One lonely voice is unlikely to make them think again, but you never know.

I had a really great seat at Myreside, was really close to my home, and it defiantly felt livelier at times , but moving it back and forward wasn't sustainable. My BIL wondered down for a game having checked the fixture the day before only to find out it had been moved, I've been keeping him informed ever since. I doubt he complained, but I'm sure other might have. Have high hopes for the mini Murrayfield taking the best from both existing grounds.

I complained directly to Mr Petrie by email ( jonny.petrie@sru.org.uk ) about other stuff previously and, give him his due, he did phone back and speak to me. However he clearly hasn't learned anything about customer service. I'll be sending him another email so feel free to join in.

When we moved to Myreside they were able to transfer reserved seats easily enough. How LawrenceBryce difficult would it be to reverse engineer this. This is clearly a case of we've got your money, thanks very much, now be a good chap and shut up. Either that or are they that skint that they can't afford to send out new tickets? How do they expect to grow their customer base when they treat loyal customers like this?
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

Postby Flinty's Barmy Army on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:54 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
Wottie wrote:Wonder if this will have Gary IPA calling for Petrie's head? :lol:

seen nothing to change my mind, for the stuff off the pitch anyway.

:above: Spot on
Flinty's Barmy Army
International

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum