The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby KenMavor on Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:06 pm

biffer wrote:I presume this has all come about because the flood defences have been completed and that makes it much more viable.

I would imagine so.....
There is a lot of ground there and it seems to be rarely used...car park, pitches, etc.
KenMavor
International

Postby royc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:16 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
KenMavor wrote:
Who owns the ice rink and pitches to the North of Murrayfield....

the ice rink seems to be owned by ‎Murrayfield Ice Rink Ltd, I also found a piece that stated the land is owned by the SRU - this was from an article about a proposed hotel development that suggested the as the landowner the SRU wouldn't need permission from the ice rink.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4270385

As far as I remember, the SRU sold the land for the ice rink years ago to the current owners. The SRU owns the coach park but not, as far as I could see, the ice rink building.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Makes a lot more sense than any other ground idea in Edinburgh. Only question is why now?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 pm

royc wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
KenMavor wrote:
Who owns the ice rink and pitches to the North of Murrayfield....

the ice rink seems to be owned by ‎Murrayfield Ice Rink Ltd, I also found a piece that stated the land is owned by the SRU - this was from an article about a proposed hotel development that suggested the as the landowner the SRU wouldn't need permission from the ice rink.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4270385

As far as I remember, the SRU sold the land for the ice rink years ago to the current owners. The SRU owns the coach park but not, as far as I could see, the ice rink building.

I am fairly certain I heard the two rinks are owned by different groups and the curling group new nothing of the proposed hotel development above and had no intention to sell. Looks irrelevant in terms of the rugby for now anyway.

Am I correct that there is an artificial pitch out the back already? And are wanderers not getting moved out of the existing clubhouse?
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:
Am I correct that there is an artificial pitch out the back already? And are wanderers not getting moved out of the existing clubhouse?

Yup, there is a 3g/4g pitch out the back, it's the one nearest the outside catering wagons. (I got a row from the groundsmen for testing it out in my stocking soles!). Mf Wanderers are I think already playing in Roseburn Park nest door, but AFAIK they still retain the clubhouse. Ir's not in the way of a new stadium development and would be a nice little snug for supporters of it happened to be open on match nights.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:50 am

royc wrote:
The Feral Goat wrote:

Yup, there is a 3g/4g pitch out the back, it's the one nearest the outside catering wagons. (I got a row from the groundsmen for testing it out in my stocking soles!). Mf Wanderers are I think already playing in Roseburn Park nest door, but AFAIK they still retain the clubhouse. Ir's not in the way of a new stadium development and would be a nice little snug for supporters of it happened to be open on match nights.

It was used as the Edinburgh clubhouse a while ago. Which is all I can remember even though I went in a few times.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Average official attendance at our 5 home games at Myreside this season has been just under 3,500, with the highest attendance 3,793 at the Saturday match against the Ospreys. Stripping out for ST holders not attending probably means an actual average crowd of nearer 3,200. Pretty jamesmatthew given we have won them all bar the Treviso debacle. Wonder if we will get a few more along tonight given it may be ER's last outing at Myreside (if recent press reports prove to be correct)?
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:32 pm

Wottie wrote:Average official attendance at our 5 home games at Myreside this season has been just under 3,500, with the highest attendance 3,793 at the Saturday match against the Ospreys. Stripping out for ST holders not attending probably means an actual average crowd of nearer 3,200. Pretty jamesmatthew given we have won them all bar the Treviso debacle. Wonder if we will get a few more along tonight given it may be ER's last outing at Myreside (if recent press reports prove to be correct)?

Average crowds the previous two season with the Glasgow game stripped out were 3,600-3,700. It may be that this is being interpreted as a Myreside 'hit' and the reason for a review.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:40 pm

biffer wrote:Average crowds the previous two season with the Glasgow game stripped out were 3,600-3,700. It may be that this is being interpreted as a Myreside 'hit' and the reason for a review.

Agreed, particularly as results and on field entertainment are well up on the back half of last season. I think they have probably got to the point of put up or shut up sooner than they anticipated in terms of further investment with negative feedback on the fans experience, and more importantly, the pitch's complete inability to withstand the usage pattern and the Scottish winter.
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Are we left with the hard core only?
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I think we are Gary, folk that are going along at present will go and watch wherever and probably whatever Edinburgh go/do.

There was a clear drop in attendance of ST holders who would just not entertain going to myreside even for the trial period.

Pitch has got to be a big factor, no point moving to move back every time it gets chilly.

ER rightly have to weigh up investing in the myreside pitch or on stands on the back pitches.But they have to be get it right one way or the other.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Reckon it's only the hard core attending regularly now too, even some of my car pool give it a miss on the really cold/wet nights, the away supported add some to the crowd but really we can't really know how many they account for, the experiment is clearly not working, winning games and still losing attendees is not the way forward.
Last edited by Pitfitter on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pitfitter

Postby Wottie on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:09 am

There was a more than a decent Leinster contingent there last night. Was great to see and a bit of away support really adds to the occasion. Missing that is a consequence of Friday rugby with an away support having to be retired, resident or taking a day off work.

Consistent with the rumours of possible last game at Myreside, the Huxley appear to have chucked in the cards. Guinness and Best off an hour before KO but as they had no staff, it didn’t really matter anyway as you couldn’t get served. They did redeem themselves after the game by offering us cans of Guinness for the bargain price of £6.95 :eek:
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:16 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:I think we are Gary, folk that are going along at present will go and watch wherever and probably whatever Edinburgh go/do.

There was a clear drop in attendance of ST holders who would just not entertain going to myreside even for the trial period.

Pitch has got to be a big factor, no point moving to move back every time it gets chilly.

ER rightly have to weigh up investing in the myreside pitch or on stands on the back pitches.But they have to be get it right one way or the other.

Family commitments have meant attending rugby for my friends and I has dropped down the scale with a ST not cost effective. Having gone to the Saracens game last season it was like taking a step back 20 years. As a location there’s nothing there to encourage me to go and it’s only now the standard of rugby is making me consider going more often.

There’s a big whinge on the go on the Glasgow site about the facilities at Murrayfield there are aspects that could be better but night and day compared to Myreside
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:53 pm

£6.95 A CAN!!!!!!!!!!Were the staff wearing masks and striped jerseys. Glad we’re straight in the car and home before we hit the bar.
Pitfitter

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum