The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Got the email (copied below), it does indeed point to how do we make Myreside better. However, it is a survey about the 6 game trial at Myreside and without knowing where Myreside is failing and what fans want even if that is just to be back at Murrayfield then they cannot reasonably determine if they can deliver the required improvements to Myreside. Success or failure they need to go through the process of getting feedback on the trial period and venue etc.

For my 2p worth I actually think there is a future at Myreside, for me it much better meets the needs of where ER are now, but it does need investment in a number of areas which I don’t see being completed over a single closed season.

If there is some development done over the rest of this calendar year, a solid phased plan delivered for the longer term future by ER/GW, and given the mixed response to the move, I think the sensible thing would be to split the fixtures again next season between Murrayfield and Myreside get some development in and then January 2018 go back for another period and let people see and experience the improved facilities.

Alternatively fix the SteveWalsh on the pitch get a team playing for 80mins and maybe even winning the odd game and the infrastructure issues become a bit less important, get people talking about seeing good rugby rather than moaning about waiting to have a TonySpreadbury.

“Following our six-game trial move to Myreside, we want to hear what you think about the venue and what improvements you would make ahead of the new season.

Your feedback is vital as we look to significantly improve the matchday experience for everyone and generate the best possible atmosphere for Richard Cockerill and his team ahead of the new season.

As a thank you for completing this survey, we will select three Season Ticket Holders to to be among the first to receive the brand new 2017/18 playing jersey, hand delivered to you at the first game of the season, along with an exclusive Edinburgh goodie bag!

If you would like to be in with a chance of winning, please complete the survey below by noon on Friday 12 May.”
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 02, 2017 4:10 pm

I have completed the surveys issued by both the Club and the Supporter's Club. Well done to the Supporter's Club for taking the initiative which may well have prompted the Club to act. I'd have had that survey out within 5 minutes of that 10 minute finish to the Drags game!

I wanted Myreside to work but I'm struggling to like it and it's really going to suck in the depth of winter. I don't see it as the answer long term if ER are to deliver on their business plan to get us to where the Weegies are at present. I would therefore prefer that they kept their powder and capital dry, use Murrayfield until the on-field stuff is sorted, and move to what must be the future and preferred long term solution of a small stadium on the back pitches sharing infrastructure and facilities with BT Murrayfield to realise cost efficiencies. Just my view for what it's worth. There is just too much wrong with Myreside.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby GuitarHero on Tue May 02, 2017 4:33 pm

Wottie wrote:I wanted Myreside to work but I'm struggling to like it and it's really going to suck in the depth of winter. I don't see it as the answer long term if ER are to deliver on their business plan to get us to where the Weegies are at present. I would therefore prefer that they kept their powder and capital dry, use Murrayfield until the on-field stuff is sorted, and move to what must be the future and preferred long term solution of a small stadium on the back pitches sharing infrastructure and facilities with BT Murrayfield to realise cost efficiencies. Just my view for what it's worth. There is just too much wrong with Myreside.

I'm with you on this one, pretty much all of it! Really wanted Myreside to work, but I'm finding it to be more of a chore than anything else, trying to co-ordinate our group and transport to and from the ground. We're all having to leave the games earlier to arrive home at the same time we did before and, even when we can attend post-match, the facilities leave a lot to be desired for a professional rugby club.
GuitarHero
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Tue May 02, 2017 4:40 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Got the email (copied below), it does indeed point to how do we make Myreside better. However, it is a survey about the 6 game trial at Myreside and without knowing where Myreside is failing and what fans want even if that is just to be back at Murrayfield then they cannot reasonably determine if they can deliver the required improvements to Myreside. Success or failure they need to go through the process of getting feedback on the trial period and venue etc.

For my 2p worth I actually think there is a future at Myreside, for me it much better meets the needs of where ER are now, but it does need investment in a number of areas which I don’t see being completed over a single closed season.

If there is some development done over the rest of this calendar year, a solid phased plan delivered for the longer term future by ER/GW, and given the mixed response to the move, I think the sensible thing would be to split the fixtures again next season between Murrayfield and Myreside get some development in and then January 2018 go back for another period and let people see and experience the improved facilities.

Alternatively fix the SteveWalsh on the pitch get a team playing for 80mins and maybe even winning the odd game and the infrastructure issues become a bit less important, get people talking about seeing good rugby rather than moaning about waiting to have a TonySpreadbury.

“Following our six-game trial move to Myreside, we want to hear what you think about the venue and what improvements you would make ahead of the new season.

Your feedback is vital as we look to significantly improve the matchday experience for everyone and generate the best possible atmosphere for Richard Cockerill and his team ahead of the new season.

As a thank you for completing this survey, we will select three Season Ticket Holders to to be among the first to receive the brand new 2017/18 playing jersey, hand delivered to you at the first game of the season, along with an exclusive Edinburgh goodie bag!

If you would like to be in with a chance of winning, please complete the survey below by noon on Friday 12 May.”

All fair comment, and I agree to a large extent with what you say.

But I still think that there is a strong implication in the tone of the email and the content of the survey that the decision to stay is done and dusted. Just one question added along the lines of - given the choice would you prefer ER to be based at an improved Myreside or return to BT Murrayfield - would have helped. I know we can't tell what an improved Myreside might look like, but I know of people who are of the opinion that, with the best intent in the world, it won't be possible to improve Myreside sufficiently. And so they have a strong preference to return to Murrayfield (and some of those were strongly in favour of the Myreside move at the outset). To pick up on the sentence I've bolded in your quote - this survey does not answer the question of "what the fans want, even if that even if that is just to be back at Murrayfield" because that is never offered as an option, nor is any opinion sought on that choice.
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Tue May 02, 2017 4:49 pm

I just added the comment on my preference between Myreside v Murrayfield in the free text comment boxes Hil. That might be ignored against the backdrop of the question not being asked specifically, but I would encourage everyone to do likewise whichever of the two match day experiences they prefer.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Hil on Tue May 02, 2017 5:04 pm

Wottie wrote:I just added the comment on my preference between Myreside v Murrayfield in the free text comment boxes Hil. That might be ignored against the backdrop of the question not being asked specifically, but I would encourage everyone to do likewise whichever of the two match day experiences they prefer.

Good idea :D
Slam the drop of victory
Hil
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Tue May 02, 2017 5:19 pm

Wottie wrote: preferred long term solution of a small stadium on the back pitches

That isn't going to happen.

At the SGM into whether to sell part or the pro sides Dodson claimed it would cost 17-19 million. Figure feels hight to me. Presumably due to being on a flood plain.

No chance the SRU would stump that up after getting the debt down to circa 4 million.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm

All fair comment, and I agree to a large extent with what you say.

But I still think that there is a strong implication in the tone of the email and the content of the survey that the decision to stay is done and dusted. Just one question added along the lines of - given the choice would you prefer ER to be based at an improved Myreside or return to BT Murrayfield - would have helped. I know we can't tell what an improved Myreside might look like, but I know of people who are of the opinion that, with the best intent in the world, it won't be possible to improve Myreside sufficiently. And so they have a strong preference to return to Murrayfield (and some of those were strongly in favour of the Myreside move at the outset). To pick up on the sentence I've bolded in your quote - this survey does not answer the question of "what the fans want, even if that even if that is just to be back at Murrayfield" because that is never offered as an option, nor is any opinion sought on that choice.

And I largely agree with you on this :)

I also think we will be back there almost irrespective of the result of the trial which I would say is very hard to judge as a success given falling crowd numbers, infrastructure issues and poor on field performances. But If we had stayed at Murrayfield the only element of this that I could see being better is the infrastructure.

I don’t see us ever having the money to build on the back pitches so the opportunity to partner with GW or similar and share some costs is unlikely to present itself again short term, so it had to be explored. Moreover, I am of the opinion that having endured 5/6 seasons of watching awful rugby, if Cockerill can come in and improve that side, I will accept taking a few season of maybe less than ideal facilities to improve Myreside and make it more fitting of our needs but I do appreciate that I am probably in the minority and am not really bothered where I watch the game. I would appear to be a sucker for SteveWalsh rugby and will no doubt be back irrespective next season!
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Tue May 02, 2017 6:00 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:Got the email (copied below), it does indeed point to how do we make Myreside better. However, it is a survey about the 6 game trial at Myreside and without knowing where Myreside is failing and what fans want even if that is just to be back at Murrayfield then they cannot reasonably determine if they can deliver the required improvements to Myreside. Success or failure they need to go through the process of getting feedback on the trial period and venue etc.

Agree with a lot of this. Some things to be immediately sorted, some longer term development required.

Immediate
Sort the ladies loos
Sort disabled access and position
Supporters bar is jamesmatthew. It's frankly easier to do a function in a marquee than a bar (look at weddings) so some of the hospitality should be in there and the bar should be in the club house.
The rugby, obviously.

Longer term
Timescale depends if it's redevelop the current stadium piecewise or build a new one over the road before flattening the existing one (I've heard both suggested)
Regardless of above we need a big main stand including dressing rooms, function room big enough for hospitality and a good supporters bar.
Standing area - needs to be a along the side of the pitch, in front of a stand preferably (a la Munster, Ulster, Leicester, Northampton). If you have a poor atmosphere you need to find a way for those who make noise to congregate and those who don't like it able to move away. Terracing allows that, but if you do it at the end of a ground nobody wants to stand there as the view isn't as good. It's also great for mixing with travelling fans.
Hybrid pitch - make the distinction from the weeg. Doesn't have to be the same as MF, the kind Leicester put in is less expensive and nearly as good, widely used in pro rugby.
End stands need a better rake than the temp ones on them to improve the view
The rugby, obviously.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Tue May 02, 2017 9:22 pm

biffer wrote:Agree with a lot of this. Some things to be immediately sorted, some longer term development required.

Immediate
Sort the ladies loos
Sort disabled access and position
Supporters bar is jamesmatthew. It's frankly easier to do a function in a marquee than a bar (look at weddings) so some of the hospitality should be in there and the bar should be in the club house.
The rugby, obviously.

Longer term
Timescale depends if it's redevelop the current stadium piecewise or build a new one over the road before flattening the existing one (I've heard both suggested)
Regardless of above we need a big main stand including dressing rooms, function room big enough for hospitality and a good supporters bar.
Standing area - needs to be a along the side of the pitch, in front of a stand preferably (a la Munster, Ulster, Leicester, Northampton). If you have a poor atmosphere you need to find a way for those who make noise to congregate and those who don't like it able to move away. Terracing allows that, but if you do it at the end of a ground nobody wants to stand there as the view isn't as good. It's also great for mixing with travelling fans.
Hybrid pitch - make the distinction from the weeg. Doesn't have to be the same as MF, the kind Leicester put in is less expensive and nearly as good, widely used in pro rugby.
End stands need a better rake than the temp ones on them to improve the view
The rugby, obviously.

I'd go with this, and include some improvements to the park and ride timings or the parking elsewhere nearby.
Pitfitter

Postby GaryIPA on Tue May 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Stands at the end is fine. You can see the lines being run.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby artie fufkin on Wed May 03, 2017 9:13 am

The club is in such a mess for the past 5yrs or so that's its difficult to see where the Myreside experiment/move sits. On field product is so poor that many (including myself) have got out the habit of going. I go to see good quality rugby, preferably of the winning variety, although that's not always the case! It's a good night/day out I'm looking for and it rarely is watching ER. It's up to JP to lead the club and reconnect with what should be a welcoming rugby community. The two games I went to the deficiencies of the site were obvious but equally it felt more like a club atmosphere. I'm at a loss tbh as to how to fix the club. 10 years since the plug was pulled on the Reivers to largely help Glasgow and what have we got to show for it? Nothing. A couple of cup runs and largely poor fare on the pitch. I usually await the fixtures and season ticket promotional material to see if I take the ST plunge but next year there won't be any debate in my head, my money's staying put in my pocket. Sort out the product on the pitch and Myerside might be a good place to go. As it stands it really doesn't matter where games are played
artie fufkin
World Cup Star

Postby royc on Wed May 03, 2017 8:00 pm

I rather like Myreside (from my one visit! - though 400 miles is a long trip to watch stevewalsh rugby), it feels like the right size and scale for a club getting 5,000 or so spectators and is on a par with Scotstoun, which works well. I agree entirely though with Biffer's list of necessary improvements and in particular, there needs to be a covered stand or terrace on the school side/opposite the main stand, there are imaginative ways to do that, gantrying up over the road being one.

ER/SRU is being blamed for (a) not asking directly the question of whether we should return to M'field and (b) not prioritising the fans' view. I think we have in fairness to consider an additional factor here: M'field is not what the broadcasters, sponsors and Pro 12 want, because it is not great tv viewing showing maybe 5,000 spectators in a 67,000-seater stadium, it does not present the vibrant televisual picture and atmosphere that these paymasters are looking for. Fair enough, we depend on sponsors and media to finance a good part of the club and squad. Fans' views are obviously important too, it is a difficult balancing act for the SRU to reconcile the two views. I will personally trust Mark Dodson's judgement on this one, he hasn't put too many feet wrong so far and has done a power of good.

If JP and ER could carry out the immediate improvements Biffer lists, plus Mark Dodson's hint at the outset of a 4g pitch being part of any longer-term arrangement, I'd be happy to stay at Myreside and trust in Cockerell to start producing a rather better spectacle on the pitch. Though I remain nervous/unconvinced about the backs' coaching and lack of progress.
royc
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:43 pm

Work being done on the Myreside pitch over the summer.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:53 pm

Work as in 4G pitch going in?

Credit to the ground staff I thought the grass pitch held up well in really horrible conditions for a lot of the trial, certainly was not the cause of some TonySpreadbury poor rugby
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum