The Myreside Trial

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: The Myreside Trial

Postby GunnerRob on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:40 am

All they need to do is build a 5000 seater stand and add terracing around the other sides which could be build on one day for more seats. I think a hotel would be built on the same site as part of a larger development.

What they should do is build an indoor venue which could have concerts, similar to Racing and that one in Dunedin. But that might push up the budget!

But...... how many times have we heard about a new ground/stadium linked to Edinburgh? :roll:
GunnerRob
International

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:49 am

It definatley sounds like this is linked to the sale of land for development.

Agree with the idea of 2 stands with a capacity for 5-7k and then the ends can be built up if required. £10m is a chunk of cash though, so not sure if it can be tied in with anything else. There will be a saving on rent for Myreside and possibly for other matches for women and a team, possibly even for cup finals etc.

Certainly not against the idea and nice to see the SRU coming out of fire fighting mode financially and into looking forward.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:53 am

7000 is doubling our current attendance which is pretty ambitious given we are winning more games than we are losing and getting no more folk at Myreside at present.

7000, with possibility to expand if we ever get attendances like Glasgow, I think is a sensible mid-term plan.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:07 am

Double the average, it will likely be higher for the likes of Ulster.

Agree though it is a good size to start, building anything less would seem daft.

A lot of our home games this season haven't been all that attractive, Drags, Zebre etc and the weather has been dodgy. With effectively a fledgling support after the move we need to have as many reasons to go as possible, it is then upto the performance on the pitch to keep them coming back. Hopefully we will see some good games on dry nights to enthuse people more.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:19 am

It is 7000 in four years time though with no mention of additional capacity (it IS very scarce on details). So we would have four years to build up to those number at Myreside, if we had any ambition.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:21 pm

gunneria wrote:It is 7000 in four years time though with no mention of additional capacity (it IS very scarce on details). So we would have four years to build up to those number at Myreside, if we had any ambition.

couple of league wins and runs to the final of the big cup and eventually winning it in the next four years would see the attendances shoot up
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:29 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
gunneria wrote:It is 7000 in four years time though with no mention of additional capacity (it IS very scarce on details). So we would have four years to build up to those number at Myreside, if we had any ambition.

couple of league wins and runs to the final of the big cup and eventually winning it in the next four years would see the attendances shoot up

Champions Cup qualification will push attendance up. Constrained supply means more people buying tickets early.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:34 pm

I prefer my scenario, Biffer

Ah now I've re-read, I jokingly meant winning the Pro14 and the Champions Cup..

but the joke is now lying lifeless on the cold concrete floorafter coughing its last in explanation.

Deid.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:43 pm

This sounds like a sensible idea. The Myreside experiment has not really worked and will not do so without major investment in the pitch and in other facilities. It will however be ok for the intervening period. SRU need to get on with the planning for a mini-Murrayfield as proposed particularly now that the flood prevention scheme is completed.Whilst it is a useful facility to have the back pitches and the car park (albeit that needs major investment too - surfacing and access) it is a vastly under utilised piece of land. Any investment will have to be funded somehow but release of land for development including a new hotel would be sensible option to free up under-utilised assets and generate an income. I also hope the SFA see sense and move games to Murrayfield - this would generate even more income without a huge impact on rugby.

I would hope the proposed new facility would incorporate a better use of the Murrayfield facility by local community and rugby groups i.e. open access to training facilities, access to new pitch (which I would assume be all weather) etc. The SRU could have a big win on their books if they got this bit right - bit like what Hibs are doing great things with local pop around health and social care particularly targeting middle aged men i.e. walking football, exercise sessions, etc.

The Oriam facility has been a great success from what I have seen/heard and has been a life saver for many games etc during this winter. Lets build on it.

As a matter of interest whats the Plan B if Myreside is unplayable for Friday night due to snow/frozen ground? Murrayfield two days before a 6Ns game?
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:22 pm

biffer wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:

Champions Cup qualification will push attendance up. Constrained supply means more people buying tickets early.

I am always disappointed with the push for half-season tickets for christmas presents for other-halfs (it is around the right price mark for this). It would be a brave partner who doesn't buy a full-season ticket the following year, as that would be declaring you thought the present was jamesmatthew. Would help push attendances up.

The greater likelihood of missing out on bigger games also pushes up ticket sales.
gunneria
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:37 pm

The Scottish Rugby Union will explore moving Edinburgh to a new 6,000-seat stadium on Murrayfield's back pitches.

The governing body is to conduct a feasibility study which could, if things are accelerated, see Richard Cockerill's team play their home games on the new site next season.

Contrary to reports, the project will not cost anywhere close to £10m.

Temporary stands would be relocated from Myreside to Murrayfield, while extra stands would raise the capacity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42975909

Sounds much more sensible and feasible short term
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby KenMavor on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:01 pm

The Feral Goat wrote:The Scottish Rugby Union will explore moving Edinburgh to a new 6,000-seat stadium on Murrayfield's back pitches.

The governing body is to conduct a feasibility study which could, if things are accelerated, see Richard Cockerill's team play their home games on the new site next season.

Contrary to reports, the project will not cost anywhere close to £10m.

Temporary stands would be relocated from Myreside to Murrayfield, while extra stands would raise the capacity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42975909

Sounds much more sensible and feasible short term

Who owns the ice rink and pitches to the North of Murrayfield....
KenMavor
International

Postby Tichtheid on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm

KenMavor wrote:
Who owns the ice rink and pitches to the North of Murrayfield....

the ice rink seems to be owned by ‎Murrayfield Ice Rink Ltd, I also found a piece that stated the land is owned by the SRU - this was from an article about a proposed hotel development that suggested the as the landowner the SRU wouldn't need permission from the ice rink.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... -1-4270385
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm

I presume this has all come about because the flood defences have been completed and that makes it much more viable.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby gunneria on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:31 pm

biffer wrote:I presume this has all come about because the flood defences have been completed and that makes it much more viable.

Must be the reason if, as stated, the costs are same as renting/running Myreside.
gunneria
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum