Edinburgh v Connacht 19:35KO 7 APril

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Connacht 19:35KO 7 APril

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:00 pm

Listening to Radio Scotland on the way to the game last night, the pundits were criticising Edinburgh's players for how poor and lackadaisical the warm up was. The point they were making is if you are dropping passes in training then you are not going to be able to do it properly in games. They were being critical of the players, saying the senior ones should not be accepting the attitude that it's ok not to really try that hard in training/warm up. Personally I think the coaches carry some of the blame for that attitude, but the pundits were laying the blame firmly with the players.

Interestingly, Peter Wright said he knew that some players who thought they were getting contracts for next year have now been told they aren't; I wonder if some of the coaches have been told the same. From the comments Dodson made recently in the press, it does sound as if his patience with what has been going on at Edinburgh has run out. Perhaps a more major shake up than expected is about to take place.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:08 pm

For all the perfectly understandable wailing and gnashing of teeth, I still think there is a decent side in there. Right now, a lot of players are underperforming, and on top of that, the team is misfiring badly so the whole is less than the sum of the poorly performing parts.

To me that is the biggest frustration. It's not that the team is not good enough, it is that they could be much better than they are. I don't think it is just the coaching, though that is a major factor, there seems to be something fundamentally amiss with the club. The coaching has been an issue, but Edinburgh donder along in the lower reaches of the Pro12 year after year, and nothing changes. That is not just a coaching issue, if it was one of the several changes of coaches Edinburgh have had would have sorted it out (to be fair, Andy Robinson looked like he was the man to do so). There is a much more fundamental malaise that comes from the top down.

Perhaps Petrie will change that. Whether or not it is a success, Myreside was worth trying. Cockers is a bold move. I'd assume he has enough sense and rugby knowledge to see a lost cause when he sees one, so hopefully there are viable plans afoot to turn things round. There better be, or Edinburgh will die on the apathy of the supporters.

Edit
CG posted while I was typing, perhaps that root and branch change is underway.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Oldsalt wrote:What do they do all week? It certainly isn't training. Why does it take 63 minutes before ER start to play?
For me Hodge and Scott should have had a taxi last night. Backline is useless yet the same players play week in week out. Rasolea must be really fed up.
Dodson should have called the Warriors and offered Murray the gig and got Munro back as forwards coach with immediate effect with instruction to get rid of ANY player who is not putting their all into things.
3198 who are you trying to kid!!!

He might be but he's even worse than Burleigh and Dean!
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:53 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Listening to Radio Scotland on the way to the game last night, the pundits were criticising Edinburgh's players for how poor and lackadaisical the warm up was. The point they were making is if you are dropping passes in training then you are not going to be able to do it properly in games. They were being critical of the players, saying the senior ones should not be accepting the attitude that it's ok not to really try that hard in training/warm up. Personally I think the coaches carry some of the blame for that attitude, but the pundits were laying the blame firmly with the players.

Interestingly, Peter Wright said he knew that some players who thought they were getting contracts for next year have now been told they aren't; I wonder if some of the coaches have been told the same. From the comments Dodson made recently in the press, it does sound as if his patience with what has been going on at Edinburgh has run out. Perhaps a more major shake up than expected is about to take place.

Who are the senior players? Ford, McKenzie, Watson and Burleigh? We have a load of players who are quite old but have barely played any pro games. Also it's definitely the coaches fault - can you imagine a good coach allowing a poor warm up/training session?! I can't!

The coaches have a year to run after this but they should be fired.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:51 am

FKL how do you know Rasolea or anyone else are worse tha Burleigh or Dean. Hardly any of the backs have had a chance to show what they have got. They can't all be injured.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:47 am

Oldsalt wrote:FKL how do you know Rasolea or anyone else are worse tha Burleigh or Dean. Hardly any of the backs have had a chance to show what they have got. They can't all be injured.

He has played a lot of rugby for us and shown absolutely nothing apart from quite poor defence at times. Tolifau should've been given more time and maybe even Bryce at 13 but Rasolea has done absolutely nothing for Edinburgh.

I think aside from Northam all the backs signed up have played for us at points this season, they just aren't very good.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:30 am

"They" are saying that Western Force, Cheetahs and Southern Kngs are to be axed from Super Rugby at the end of the season, there may be a few decent players looking for contracts.

Edit - hrm, I thought this was the squad thread, hey ho
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:35 pm

Tichtheid wrote:"They" are saying that Western Force, Cheetahs and Southern Kngs are to be axed from Super Rugby at the end of the season, there may be a few decent players looking for contracts.

Edit - hrm, I thought this was the squad thread, hey ho

Finding the next Nel and du Preez would certainly help our predicament. However, those teams are being cut because they are awful so once the SARU and ARU move the best players to other franchises the quality of player won't be the best.

Someone like Tatafu Polota-Nau would do harm at all though...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Finding the next Nel and du Preez would certainly help our predicament. However, those teams are being cut because they are awful so once the SARU and ARU move the best players to other franchises the quality of player won't be the best.

The Force are the second placed team in the Aussie conference, only the Brumbies are above them in the overall standings too.
Similar with the Cheetahs in their conference, though the SKs aren't doing well.

I haven't really had time to follow Super Rugby so far this year, I'm not really up on the reasoning, but it will almost inevitably involve money in some way
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:23 pm

Tichtheid wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:Finding the next Nel and du Preez would certainly help our predicament. However, those teams are being cut because they are awful so once the SARU and ARU move the best players to other franchises the quality of player won't be the best.

The Force are the second placed team in the Aussie conference, only the Brumbies are above them in the overall standings too.
Similar with the Cheetahs in their conference, though the SKs aren't doing well.

I haven't really had time to follow Super Rugby so far this year, I'm not really up on the reasoning, but it will almost inevitably involve money in some way

The Force are having their only good season is years, the Kings are whipping boys along with Sunwolves and the Cheetahs are the SA side with the Kings that return no internationals. Pretty sure they're changing the tournament and cutting teams because the competition is unworkable with so many poor teams.

No doubt there will be a few good value signings but it's not the way you build your team.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:32 pm

Tichtheid wrote:

'Second placed team in the Aussie conference' is concealing the problem with Aussie rugby though. They've won two out of six and are behind all of the New Zealand teams. When all of your teams are that jamesmatthew, as is the case with the Oz teams, then you have to take other factors into account as well.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:06 pm

biffer wrote:'Second placed team in the Aussie conference' is concealing the problem with Aussie rugby though. They've won two out of six and are behind all of the New Zealand teams. When all of your teams are that jamesmatthew, as is the case with the Oz teams, then you have to take other factors into account as well.

Perhaps it's poor coaching. :)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:29 pm

bignose wrote:
biffer wrote:'Second placed team in the Aussie conference' is concealing the problem with Aussie rugby though. They've won two out of six and are behind all of the New Zealand teams. When all of your teams are that jamesmatthew, as is the case with the Oz teams, then you have to take other factors into account as well.

:D but no, you'd have to be screwing up at a legendary level to have five incompetent coaching teams!
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:07 pm

bignose wrote:

Mick Byrne who is the ARU's skills coach - and kiwi who has coached the All Blacks who seem to know one or two things about coaching has questioned the quality of coaching in Australia.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:53 am

FKL just how often has Rasolea or any of the other invisible backs "played" a lot of rugby this season. Conceding 50+ try's is not indicative of a good defence.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum