Edinburgh v Connacht 19:35KO 7 APril

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Edinburgh v Connacht 19:35KO 7 APril

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:12 pm

germain wrote:
Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Or because you build an expansive game plan from solid foundations? Lineen played very basic rugby before Toonie rocked up at Glasgow and left the team solid and in the right place to go forward. We didn't do well under Solomons because he is not a good coach and signed bad players. We won't build a castle on quicksand, you need solid foundations before you build the house.

I worry about Melrose and Ayr coaches as they are both the best teams in the Prem and always have been, is that not massively helped by their superior resources?

In fact, Solomons' era has been so difficult to watch that I don't want anything like that to happen again, even if it's for building foundations or whatever. I don't know what to expect with Cockerill but what I know is that I've never been fed up with rugby looking a team coached by Lineen as I've been with Solly.

Let's wait for Chrystie but if he wins something, he will have achieve something more than Dalziel. Your point could still be valid but it is more about Cairns who has not been able to reach any final yet. Is it due to Cairn's abilities or Currie's resources?

Lineen hasn't coached at the top level for a long time, the under 20s were a brutal watch this year. You'd be just as fed up watching that for a couple of years as with Solly. If Cockerill wins nobody will complain - It's rare you hear fans say 'it's great we won the league/cup/games but I wish we played more exciting stuff' . Solomons' Edinburgh was far better than the Hodge/Scott/Wilkins flustercuck. Many would have taken Robinson back and he's from the same school of thought at Cockerill and Solomons - you build a formidable pack and a backline capable of exploiting the holes they punch. Solomons' problem wasn't philosophy it was he just wasn't a very good coach.

Yeah very fair point, I do wonder about Melrose and Ayr having such good resources but Dalziel looks to have worked out okay - although it could just be we had a generational year for the under20s. Who knows.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby doedin on Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm

I think folk give Robinson a raw deal with the style of rugby he got us playing - I seem to remember us scoring more points and more tries than ever when he was here? Solomons was just a disaster zone, a poor coach and even worse at recruitment and squad management. Solomons style of rugby was just awful, it disenfranchised a whole raft of decent backs we had and he signed some complete and utter dross to replace them. The SRU then cocked up in extending Solomons contract before terminating it after only 4 games. Hodge had an impossible task taking over given the paucity of options in the backs he inherited from Solomons and the long term injuries he had to key forwards (Nel, Berghan, Dicko, Sutherland Bressler and GC) that depowered our pack. Hodge has been a dead man walking as it was unlikely he was ever going to get the gig and I think the team knew that.

Cockerill is not a man I have admired however he has the type of experience and coaching CV that we need plus he has a point to prove and seems like he relishes a challenge and make no mistakes we are a huge challenge for him! He is a good signing.

Most folk think we have a decent set of forwards that have been badly coached for a number of years and as a result the sum of the parts is less than it should be. Solomons ‘pods of three and kick’ approach was 10-15 years out of date and didnt make the best of what we had. Scott have taken them even further backwards technically and mentally. Cockerill will relish taking the quality raw materials and making the pack a force. He has a few interesting decisions to make about hooker and back row but he will succeed and I expect we see huge steps forward next season.

However how he deals with the backs is going to be a longer term problem. He has very little quality to work with - Weir, Hoyland, Kinghorn and Bennet once fit are about the only ones up to the standard required. It is debatable if any of the rest can be rescued - SHC has the potential but needs serious remedial work, Bryce maybe based on some of his Weegie form and Dean might make a good 12 but thats about it. (TBF I have never seen Northam in action so I can’t comment on him).

Therefore by necessity I anticipate Cockerill will focus on a 10 man game next season as he will need a season or two to recast the backs squad. It might not be pretty but it is where we are and I think it will be a more aggressive game plan than we saw under Solomons which was a very passive ‘lets wait for them to make mistakes’ approach. He should also have more success in attracting better backs given his reputation than we have had previously - which decent ambitious back in their right mind would have willingly joined a Solomons managed team? So we might see quite a turnover in the squad in next two years. I can see us making improvements but still not reaching the heady heights of Top 6 next season.
doedin
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:34 pm

doedin wrote:I think folk give Robinson a raw deal with the style of rugby he got us playing - I seem to remember us scoring more points and more tries than ever when he was here?

Nope. He as a coach plays limited rugby, he has at every club he's ever been at and he did with us. People remember his time fondly because he won games for us which no other coach has. Teams that play limited rugby score a lot of points if they do it well. Munster have been putting teams to the sword this year and were mentioned as one of the limited sides.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:18 am

Right now I couldn't give a SteveWalsh if we play the most limited brand of rugby out there as long as we stop playing so AlainRolland abjectly that it makes me wish I was a Weegie :eek: :eek: :eek:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:41 am

djphilp wrote:Right now I couldn't give a SteveWalsh if we play the most limited brand of rugby out there as long as we stop playing so AlainRolland abjectly that it makes me wish I was a Weegie :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steady on.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:45 am

biffer wrote:
djphilp wrote:Right now I couldn't give a SteveWalsh if we play the most limited brand of rugby out there as long as we stop playing so AlainRolland abjectly that it makes me wish I was a Weegie :eek: :eek: :eek:

Steady on.

This :above:
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:22 pm

Come over to the dark side :wink:
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:23 pm

hp18 wrote:

These aren't the droids you're looking for
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:17 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
hp18 wrote:

These aren't the droids you're looking for

Your backline options are weak old man.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:58 pm

If you strike our maul down we will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:20 pm

biffer wrote:If you strike our maul down we will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

............. Na.
hp18
World Cup Star

Postby The Nudger on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:54 pm

biffer wrote:If you strike our maul down we will become more powerful than you can possibly imagine

Darth Maul?
Illegitimi non Carborundum
The Nudger
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:48 pm

The Nudger wrote:

Darth Maul?

To be fair, he is from Glasgow.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:49 pm

The Nudger wrote:

Darth Maul?

Not the messiah will sort that. The Ninja (sith?) will sort Darth Ruck.
hp18
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum