Treviso v Edinburgh Saturday 15th 20:05

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Treviso v Edinburgh Saturday 15th 20:05

Postby The Feral Goat on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am

Sorry still 3 more games to go!

We really need a win or we could find ourselves finishing 11th or I think we could even find ourselves bottom if other results go against us over the remainder of the season.

Treviso beat a weakened Ospreys team at home recently but looked awful last week so no idea what to expect from them, probably safe to expect the usual very mixed performance from us.

I Maybe a couple of changes from last week especially those that made an impact off the bench and DuPreez back if recovered from illness. Would have McCallum starting at TH if we have any fit LHs.

15. Glenn Bryce

14. Damien Hoyland
13. Chris Dean
12. Phil Burleigh
11. Rory Scholes

10. Duncan Weir
9. SHC

1. Murray McCallum
2. Stuart McInally/Cochrane
3. Simon Berghan
4. Grant Gilchrist
5. Ben Toolis
6. Jamie Ritchie
7. Hamish Watson
8. Cornell du Preez
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Re: Treviso v Edinburgh Saturday 15th 20:05

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:59 pm

If they won I think they'd only be 4 points behind us ... Imagine we finished below an Italian team - would probably be rock bottom.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 pm

Might get shot of the current coaching team :twisted:
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:24 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:If they won I think they'd only be 4 points behind us ... Imagine we finished below an Italian team - would probably be rock bottom.

Wouldn't be the first time.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:25 pm

If you are leaving ford out due to lack of form then there is no way Weir should be near the team. Worst I have ever seen him play last week, wasn't much better the week before.

Ford is frustrating because he has the raw materials to,be world class but I don't get why he is singled out for criticism when the whole team have been dire.

*if that's not the reason then fair enough!
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:29 pm

dolf_lundgren wrote:If you are leaving ford out due to lack of form then there is no way Weir should be near the team. Worst I have ever seen him play last week, wasn't much better the week before.

Ford is frustrating because he has the raw materials to,be world class but I don't get why he is singled out for criticism when the whole team have been dire.

*if that's not the reason then fair enough!

perhaps because some of us have had 10 years of him being frustration. Far too cosy
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby djphilp on Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:10 pm

As one of those that's been watching him for his entire Edinburgh career I still don't think that's a reason to single Ford out for incessant criticism ahead of the other 20-30 substandard schmucks in our squad. Some of whom have been far worse than him for longer (by that I mean that at least he shines every so often for us whilst others never have).

To suggest picking McInally ahead of him is just bizarre as Rambo continues to look like a back rower filling in at hooker. He can't hit a barn door when he throws in to lineouts and he is no better at striking the ball in the scrum.
Click on the logo above for Edinburgh's official website.
djphilp
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:01 am

Not singling Ford out, but I thought Gilchrist and McInally both did well off the bench ( McInally lineouts excepted) personally I would go with Cochrane who looks to have been our best leader this season which the team is in need of more than our best hooker on the park.

Weir still in as I think Tovey is still injured(?) and kinghorn away with 7s so Burleigh our only other option at 10 which may be worth a shot with Rasolea at 12...very little left to lose this season.

EDIT: would add that I don't think Berghan is doing enough and would have McCallum start ahead of him if we had a single fit LH, would be tempted to go with Bryce and McCallum. However we don't have enough good and fit players in the squad to make wholesale changes.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby adi1314 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:44 am

I think Ford has been an important player for Edinburgh over his career, I guess some fans frustration comes from whether he ever reached his full potential.

It's too late now, but I have always wondered how effective he would have been at tighthead, he certainly has the bulk and is time served in the front row.
adi1314
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:57 am

adi1314 wrote:I think Ford has been an important player for Edinburgh over his career, I guess some fans frustration comes from whether he ever reached his full potential.

Ford will be the first one in Cockerill's sights.
An underperforming, non hooking, international hooker with talent. A coach who is an ex international hooker, with a hammer and tongs approach to forward play and with a point to make about an under performing team in general.

If Ford lasts more than two months I expect him to be far more dynamic. If he's not I expect Cockerill to make an example of him.

Looking forward to it . . . :evil:

( And to be clear, I hope Ford steps up to the plate )
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:34 pm

The Chiel wrote:
adi1314 wrote:I think Ford has been an important player for Edinburgh over his career, I guess some fans frustration comes from whether he ever reached his full potential.

An underperforming, non hooking, international hooker with talent. A coach who is an ex international hooker, with a hammer and tongs approach to forward play and with a point to make about an under performing team in general.

If Ford lasts more than two months I expect him to be far more dynamic. If he's not I expect Cockerill to make an example of him.

We don't always agree but I love this
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:26 pm

The Chiel wrote:

Think you may have nailed the situation right there.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby The Chiel on Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:48 pm

GaryIPA wrote:
The Chiel wrote:

We've never agreed on a single solitary thing, but I love this

FIFY :lol: :lol: Peace and love, peace and love :)
The Chiel
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:37 pm

Completely agree the Chiel.

I think Ford showed in the Six Nations with the pressure from Brown and Cotter he can up his game when necessary. The depressing thing about the last 10 years of Scottish and Edinburgh rugby is he hasn't had to.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Any links to tv coverage?
Pitfitter

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum