Dragons - 28/4/17

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Dragons - 28/4/17

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:00 am

It was a great comeback, but it is just not acceptable to play like they did in the first 70 minutes when they are capable of what they did in the last 10. Players like CdP, Ford, and Gilchrist played with real aggression, hitting hard into the opposition, instead of trundling around the pitch in second gear. As top professionals, they should be somewhat ashamed of their performances this season, and need to have a long hard look at their motivation before next season, as they are badly letting us down.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:03 am

Tichtheid wrote:
stef.s wrote:I thought Turner put in a decent shift and showed again that its criminal how much we under play him

His darts were awful, he also left the ball hingin in the tunnel at one point - the same charges as have been levelled at Ford all these years. I'm not so sure it is criminal, but he is a good player, just not as good as Ford or Cochrane.

first 2 lineouts after Ford came on were massive overthrows. First scrum went back as well. For the lineouts of course it could be poor lifting or jump timing. Perhaps the same for both hookers?

I also though Turner was very lively in the loose.
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby Pitfitter on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 am

Maybe I should have spent the first hour in the beer tent and come out for the "game" in the last 10/20 minutes? Once again some players show their drive but it's too little too late.
Best bit of the evening was when on the way out a gentleman (of an age that shows he should have known better) scuttled out with the game ball clutched to his chest and sped? off up the road.
Pitfitter

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:09 pm

joe soap wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:
stef.s wrote:I thought Turner put in a decent shift and showed again that its criminal how much we under play him

His darts were awful, he also left the ball hingin in the tunnel at one point - the same charges as have been levelled at Ford all these years. I'm not so sure it is criminal, but he is a good player, just not as good as Ford or Cochrane.

first 2 lineouts after Ford came on were massive overthrows. First scrum went back as well. For the lineouts of course it could be poor lifting or jump timing. Perhaps the same for both hookers?

I also though Turner was very lively in the loose.

The lineout was a shambles yesterday, didn't look a slick professional operation as it should. I don't think hookers helped with their throwing but I don't the the lifters and jumpers are entirely blameless here.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:12 pm

Having now watched the second half in its totality, Sam H-C made a huge difference, as did Kinghorn, Hardie and McCallum. Dean's positional switch helped, as it did with Bryce. That last quarter had us looking like a decent side, our defence was well structured and we hit back with a bit of pace and, whisper it, skill and aggression.

Who'd a thunk it?
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:37 am

I agree, it actually makes it more frustrating, knowing they can do it for 10-15min spells but don't over a full game.

In the first half I felt really sorry for the forwards, they were winning good ball and just nothing happening behind them, Fowles was delivering quick ball but he offers nothing else. . Rasolea and Dean not running hard lines, Sholes just looked a poor player, Bryce was the only one who looked a threat. Defensively they were shambolic, every time Drags got quick ball we looked all at sea. Hoyland needs to sort this part of his game, he bites in far too easily, either he and Dean aren't communicating or he doesn't trust Dean to make the tackle, it I am hapoeninf weak after week.

Agree, Hardie, Ford and Kinghorn made a big difference. Good to see Ford and Gilchrist showing real aggression. I still think we need a Sean Cox style player, just to rattle everyone up. Bresler can do it but seems to be SteveWalsh out now.

Glenn Bryce has improved massively from the start of the season when he looked ponderous, how he seems to have more confidence. Hardie just adds a different level of physicality, I wish he could be persuaded to stay.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum