Dragons - 28/4/17

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Dragons - 28/4/17

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:28 pm

Jockybadger wrote:So many unforced errors.

Weir is a shadow of the player he was @ Glasgow (& he was limited then)

A general lack of quality (especially at half back) make Edinburgh hard to watch....

I watched the Highlanders this morning - this is a different sport, no pace, no guile, no physicality, no skill, no bloody use to anyone. It's taken this long for me to crack, I try to support them through thick and thin, but this is painful.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Painful sir is an accurate description of Edinburgh & this game.

Must remember Dragons are perhaps the worst Welsh pro team ever
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:22 pm

Well I am glad I did not bother to travel back to Edinburgh for this.

Apart from mistake after mistake from Edinburgh, two incidents summed up Edinburgh for me. Hoyland jumping into Tovey when Tovey was going to make the catch, hurts Tovey, knocks on and it is a try to Dragons. What Hoyland was thinking is just beyond me. Then there is a penalty under the posts with 25 minutes to go, instead of taking the points Edinburgh go to the corner and then of course do not score.

And then when the cause is lost, suddenly Edinburgh start playing like they actually mean it. Again.

Edit, well this is exciting.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Weegie on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Ooops..... the cause was not lost. You've got to laugh.
Weegie
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Summed up Edinburgh's season - absolutely gash for 70 minutes but excellent for 10.

Ross Ford's celebration for the try shows he does care. Very good last 10 from the lads especially Hoyland, Tovey, Dean, Kinghorn and CdP were excellent.

I can't be too happy because the first 70 was so pitifully SteveWalsh but good win so.
Last edited by Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Hahaha season in a nutshell LawrenceBryce maddening;
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Tichtheid wrote:I'm not overly bothered, tbh, obviously he is a classy player, but his style means he is gong to get hurt and 13 league games plus 5 cup outings over the two seasons for us isn't a great return and we have a bit of depth in the back row (famous last words, eh?).
On the other hand, I can't imagine he is one of the ones strutting about thinking he's some sort of star, he strikes me as someone who would be as full on on the training paddock as he is on the field of play, so we would miss him if he were to move on.

If he does go I hope we spend the money on a quality midfield player, such as an injury-free Fruean.

We don't have depth at 7 - we would probably need to sign a replacement openside to back up Watson unless Cockers sees Ritchie as a 7.

You were right about training, Hardie seems like a great guy to have around and he is still one of our best players - probably top 4 with Nel/Dicko/Watson tbh - last season Hardie was a brute.

You can't predict injuries and we'd be foolish to let a class act go.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Now I'm going to have to watch it again, or at least the last 20 mins.

I turned it over to "Have I Got News For You" where the comedy and irony is mostly deliberate
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Tichtheid wrote:I'm not overly bothered, tbh, obviously he is a classy player, but his style means he is gong to get hurt and 13 league games plus 5 cup outings over the two seasons for us isn't a great return and we have a bit of depth in the back row (famous last words, eh?).
On the other hand, I can't imagine he is one of the ones strutting about thinking he's some sort of star, he strikes me as someone who would be as full on on the training paddock as he is on the field of play, so we would miss him if he were to move on.

If he does go I hope we spend the money on a quality midfield player, such as an injury-free Fruean.

We don't have depth at 7 - we would probably need to sign a replacement openside to back up Watson unless Cockers sees Ritchie as a 7.

You were right about training, Hardie seems like a great guy to have around and he is still one of our best players - probably top 4 with Nel/Dicko/Watson tbh - last season Hardie was a brute.

You can't predict injuries and we'd be foolish to let a class act go.

I'm not one to subscribe to much of a difference between the 6 and 7 shirt, I'm old skool in as much as I'd play the faster guy on the open side of the scrum to follow the ball, but other than that I'd expect both to be able to carry into traffic and both to be able to compete for a breakdown ball. Both should be good link players and good spoilers of opposition ball, both should either be tall enough to be a lineout option a la Kaino, or be good enough on the ball to be lifted a la Pocock

I hope Hardie stays
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby stef.s on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:29 pm

I thought Turner put in a decent shift and showed again that its criminal how much we under play him
stef.s
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:32 pm

stef.s wrote:I thought Turner put in a decent shift and showed again that its criminal how much we under play him

He's just a bit lightweight in comparison to Ford (and Cochrane) when carrying. That will come, though.
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 pm

stef.s wrote:I thought Turner put in a decent shift and showed again that its criminal how much we under play him

His darts were awful, he also left the ball hingin in the tunnel at one point - the same charges as have been levelled at Ford all these years. I'm not so sure it is criminal, but he is a good player, just not as good as Ford or Cochrane.

I think Rambo needs to accept that he is a good league backrow player who can make a real difference there at that level, perhaps not an international hooker, unless his set piece work steps up massively.
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:51 pm

bignose wrote:

He's just a bit lightweight in comparison to Ford (and Cochrane) when carrying. That will come, though.

I thought he carried well with plenty of aggression, abrasion and intensity but his throwing was poor - a criticism that can be labelled at all our hookers, as can not hooking ... Wonder what Scott is doing with his time?
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Frenchy on Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:07 am

I don't understand that article on Hardie.

It says his contract's up at the end of the season, but that there would be a fee if he leaves. :?

He also mixes up George Turner and George Hunter.
Frenchy
World Cup Star

Postby Jockybadger on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:23 am

After switching it off @ 3-20 watched the last 10mins this morning.

Absolutely Incredible :eek: ................... other posters have articulated my feelings perfectly...............

Du Preez of old made a re-appearance, he is a brilliant player when doing what he did in the last 10mins.

McCallum carried very well.

It would be sheer folly to let Hardie leave, in him & Watson Edinburgh have the 2 best 7s in the Pro 12.
Jockybadger
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum