1872 cup - Is anyone still paying attention?

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: 1872 cup - Is anyone still paying attention?

Postby Wottie on Sat May 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Ah well, can't not get an ST for next season with a new coach, Fruean signing and an away win against a strong Glasgow side in the last game of the season. Well done guys, great finish to a truly desperate season.
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat May 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Arghhh, it's so frustrating.

That was a good win and a good performance - Toolis and Ritchie were excellent. Dean had a good game, as did Hoyland, SH-C is getting there, wee Duncy was very good apart from one touch not-find

Something to build on, then
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 06, 2017 7:21 pm

gowrie wrote:And that's the end of a season to forget for both teams, of course we save a decent performance right for the end.

Nothing amazing, but we were physical and stopped Glasgow building much and slowed their ball well. Gilchrist, Toolis really worked well. Hoyland played himself onto the tour, Dean IMO outplayed his opposite number too.

Fagerson Jnr. was outstanding for such a young guy, on pure form he'd take a spot over Du Preez in the summer.

I'd still put Fageron jnr in the under 20s this summer - maybe Kinghorn too.

I've said for a long time Dean should at least be in Scotland camp, Hoyland was on the plane with Hogg/Seymour going to the Lions but for me Ritchie played his way to Austalia - out Harleyed Harley and unlike Harley might actually cut it at international level. Gilcrhist was very good I thought too.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Sat May 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Very frustrating when you see what this squad is capable of but for some reason it hasn't been on show this season.
Some good signs though.

P.s booooooo
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 06, 2017 8:00 pm

Went out for a fish supper. Only just seen the score. Booooooooooooooo
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Crichton Gunner on Sat May 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Humble pie time. Didn't see that performance or result coming, but it was well deserved in the end. Great to see the team showing the required level of fight for once, and everyone performed well. Only gripe was that we gave away too many penalties, which could have cost us the game with all those yellow cards. Glasgow looked a shadow of the team that won at Welford Road - what has happened to them? They made some very poor decisions, and looked decidedly ordinary. Having criticised Weir for his performance against Connacht, it's only fair to say that he played very well today.

It must be at least a decade since we won in Glasgow, so well done to the team. I certainly didn't expect to end this season with a smile on my face.
Crichton Gunner
World Cup Star

Postby Tichtheid on Sat May 06, 2017 8:15 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Humble pie time. Didn't see that performance or result coming, but it was well deserved in the end. Great to see the team showing the required level of fight for once, and everyone performed well. Only gripe was that we gave away too many penalties, which could have cost us the game with all those yellow cards.

I try to not get too bogged down in the ref stuff, though on other forums I've spent a lot of time going over where I think refs have made the wrong call - I thought the cards were both very harsh, but they were mostly for a build up of penalties. Again, I'm not sure all of those penalties were ligit, but there we go.

You can play the game as best you can, but when it boils down to it our sport is refereed by subjective interpretation more than any other sport I know. The best we can hope for is consistency over the game in that subjective interpretation, even Hugh Dan "mon Glasgow" MacLennan was wondering when a Glasgow card would come
Tichtheid
World Cup Star

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Sat May 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Crichton Gunner wrote:Humble pie time. Didn't see that performance or result coming, but it was well deserved in the end. Great to see the team showing the required level of fight for once, and everyone performed well. Only gripe was that we gave away too many penalties, which could have cost us the game with all those yellow cards. Glasgow looked a shadow of the team that won at Welford Road - what has happened to them? They made some very poor decisions, and looked decidedly ordinary. Having criticised Weir for his performance against Connacht, it's only fair to say that he played very well today.

It must be at least a decade since we won in Glasgow, so well done to the team. I certainly didn't expect to end this season with a smile on my face.

Glasgow have downed tools after the Saracens defeat and knowing the season is over.

Weir looked good because our pack was good in securing quick ball and SHC was accurate and nippy. Even though he's had a great season it's by far the best I've seen Toolis play - much better than Gray was. Gilchrist and Ritchie really stood up too.

Our defence was very good - the boys finally show up for Wilkins after he's been shown the door...
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 06, 2017 8:23 pm

Friday Knight Lights wrote:
Crichton Gunner wrote:Humble pie time. Didn't see that performance or result coming, but it was well deserved in the end. Great to see the team showing the required level of fight for once, and everyone performed well. Only gripe was that we gave away too many penalties, which could have cost us the game with all those yellow cards. Glasgow looked a shadow of the team that won at Welford Road - what has happened to them? They made some very poor decisions, and looked decidedly ordinary. Having criticised Weir for his performance against Connacht, it's only fair to say that he played very well today.

Glasgow have downed tools after the Saracens defeat and knowing the season is over.

Weir looked good because our pack was good in securing quick ball and SHC was accurate and nippy. Even though he's had a great season it's by far the best I've seen Toolis play - much better than Gray was. Gilchrist and Ritchie really stood up too.

Our defence was very good - the boys finally show up for Wilkins after he's been shown the door...

Maybe that's why
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby The Feral Goat on Sat May 06, 2017 8:37 pm

Defence was pride based rather than any system Wilkins had in place.

Toolis played like he has all season but looks even better when those around are putting in a shift as well. Best I have seen from Ritchie this season. It is a collective thing we performed as a team second half and for the whole half, makes a difference.
The Feral Goat
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Maybe a few guys have bumped up the pecking order for summer tour.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Sat May 06, 2017 8:46 pm

Fair play to the support that went through. I'd had enough after 14 seasons or whatever. They deserved it too.
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Sat May 06, 2017 9:27 pm

Positive end to the season. Hopefully puts them on a forward footing into preseason.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby disco on Sun May 07, 2017 12:47 am

Fair play to Edinburgh - earned that win through hard work and application. They're certainly not as poor a side as this season has made them out to be. But today's game has me questioning the mental strength and fortitude of Scottish rugby players.

On the Edinburgh side - where has that attitude been this season? The digging in and making the opposition work for every yard. The little shots and afters to throw the other side off their game. Why have, for example, SHC and Duncan Weir not been able to bring that focus and consistency to their distribution and game management during most of the other 28 games played by Edinburgh this season?

And on the Glasgow side a slightly different set of problems but again it comes down to resilience. Why has the level of play, the precision and accuracy required to make good decisions and execute skills under pressure - why has this dropped off towards the end of the campaign? It either started in the wake of achieving the long dreamt of goal of qualification for the Champions Cup quarters or possibly the Six Nations (and that game against England, the sort of result that doesn't happen to teams with real mental strength and a belief that they can win).

The issue for Townsend, Rennie and Cockerill is that if they want to see the 3 sides succeed and improve they're going to need players who can maintain the levels they're capable of week in, week out throughout a season. Currently there simply aren't enough Scottish players doing that.
disco
World Cup Star

Postby hp18 on Sun May 07, 2017 12:57 am

Fair play folks
hp18
World Cup Star

PreviousNext

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum