Supporters' Club Survey - Results Highlights

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Re: Supporters' Club Survey - Results Highlights

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 22, 2017 6:47 am

I think it comes down to cash rather than will. We are still paying off Murrayfield and the lessons of that will live long in the memory.

There is no missed opportunity at Hearts, the pitch isn't and cant be nig enough. They already took a few rows of seats out of each end to ensure it was long enough for Euro football, they couldn't do any more as they are totally hemmed in. The only way it could have worked would have been turning the pitch 180degs and starting again, they and we don't have the budget for that.

If we are talking municipal stadium then Meadowbank is best bet.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby Oldsalt on Mon May 22, 2017 8:31 am

Think Hearts were trying to get some of the surrounding land around the stadium and the SRU could have helped with the financing. Also Anne Budge has said she would not stay at Hearts forever and would divest her shareholding. Could it not have been possible to have an agreement for the SRU help with the land purchase which would have allowed Hearts to remodel the ground to suit euro football and rugby. You would have had mid size dual use stadium in the same part of town which would be reasonably full more times than you would ever fill Meadowbank.
Winston Churchill said that going to sea was like going to prison but with a chance of drowning!
Oldsalt
World Cup Star

Postby bignose on Mon May 22, 2017 9:00 am

joe soap wrote:what builds support is winning. What gets a team wining is a combination of many things; so is what makes them perennial losers. Playing in your own ground, not the national stadium should be a no brainer

I've thought about this just about as hard as I can and I've come to the conclusion that I will never be smart enough to work out why moving to Myreside will make the team winners. Clearly I have less than no brain.

:)
bignose
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Mon May 22, 2017 9:13 am

Oldsalt wrote:The way to go is there already and you actually have a choice of options from the Pro 12.
Firstly I'll mention Scarlets / Park y Scarlets. Their ground was dump they elected to start from scratch. During the literal rebuilding the team was very much in second place. Now they are deservedly in the Pro12 final.
Secondly there is the Osprey's. Community owned stadium shared with Swansea City.
Now before you all shout we've heard these arguments before yes you have. What is missing is will power / determination. I think the opportunity has been missed with Hearts redeveloping Tynecastle or is it still possible?
On the other hand do the SRU actually care?

can't believe folk are still suggesting Tynecastle
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby joe soap on Mon May 22, 2017 4:22 pm

bignose wrote:
joe soap wrote:what builds support is winning. What gets a team wining is a combination of many things; so is what makes them perennial losers. Playing in your own ground, not the national stadium should be a no brainer

I've thought about this just about as hard as I can and I've come to the conclusion that I will never be smart enough to work out why moving to Myreside will make the team winners. Clearly I have less than no brain.

:)

given no one has said that moving on its own will make a winning team (quite the opposite), then for once I have to agree with you conclusion :D
joe soap
World Cup Star

Postby DonalMerr on Thu May 25, 2017 6:30 am

bm22 wrote:-31% of Myreside attendees state they are likely to recommend to others; 53% say they are unlikely to recommend.

Only 31%! That's pretty low.
DonalMerr
Embra Debut

Previous

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum