Challenge Cup Draw

RaboDirect Pro12 & Heineken Match Discussion, Referee Retribution, and Player Powwow

Moderators: pedro52, chappo, Ron, Loops

Forum rules
The Edinburgh Rugby Supporters Club is run by fans for fans. Please keep your comments on topic and treat other posters with respect.

Challenge Cup Draw

Postby biffer on Mon May 29, 2017 11:53 am

Is on the 8th June.

Eight French teams, five English, one Irish, one Scottish, two Welsh, one Italian and two Russian.

Some dangerous draws in there - Toulouse are in the fourth pot of seeds for example. So far as I understand it we will have one French team, one English team and either a French or a Russian team. Both of the Russian teams are from Krasnoyarsk, so that's a huge journey (although December and January games will probably be played in Sodji). The second French team would be one of Toulose, Oyonnax or Agen. The full list, in seeded order for each league

P12
Cardiff, Connacht, Edinburgh, Dragons, Zebre

AP
Newcastle, Gloucester, Sale, Worcester, London Irish

T14
Stade, Brive, Pau, Lyon, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Oyannax, Agen

Qualifiers
Entisey-STM, Krasny Yar

We can't draw Sale or Pau (or a Pro12 team) but apart from that, have at it. Seeding is complicated, but we'll have one of Newcastle, Gloucester, Stade or Brive in our group, as well as one of Tououse, Oyannax, Agen, Enisey-STM or Krasny Yar. Who do you want?

Gloucester, Bordeaux and Agen would do me. Or Brive, Worcester, Oyannax. Whatever group gets Toulouse will be very difficult.
Don't mention Rory Hutton. I did once but I think I got away with it.
biffer
World Cup Star

Re: Challenge Cup Draw

Postby Friday Knight Lights on Mon May 29, 2017 2:43 pm

Newcastle didn't take it at all seriously last time out (never really do tbh) and I presume Toulouse wouldn't be overly concerned either. I'd take those two in the groups as they'll be a test but a good chance of winning and perhaps the two best away trips.

And then throw in a trip to Russia too because it'll be interesting to see how the lads face a game out there.
Friday Knight Lights
World Cup Star

Postby Rico on Mon May 29, 2017 2:49 pm

biffer wrote:So far as I understand it we will have one French team, one English team and either a French or a Russian team.

Wouldn't be ideal/my preference, but we could also have Cardiff (or potentially Connacht) could we not?
Rico
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Mon May 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Rico wrote:
biffer wrote:So far as I understand it we will have one French team, one English team and either a French or a Russian team.

Wouldn't be ideal/my preference, but we could also have Cardiff (or potentially Connacht) could we not?

Don't think so. Five groups, five pro12 teams.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby dolf_lundgren on Mon May 29, 2017 9:11 pm

Id take Newcastle or LI, Agen and a Rusky team. All of the French/Engish sides will have plenty on their plate in the league. Ideally we would play the Russians first so whoever loses out of the other 2 will pack it in early on.
dolf_lundgren
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:31 am

Not long to go...

I fancy a trip to Worcester.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:36 am

Friday Knight Lights wrote:Newcastle didn't take it at all seriously last time out (never really do tbh) and I presume Toulouse wouldn't be overly concerned either. I'd take those two in the groups as they'll be a test but a good chance of winning and perhaps the two best away trips.

And then throw in a trip to Russia too because it'll be interesting to see how the lads face a game out there.

Toulouse might not take it seriously, but neither will Oyannax or Agen. Whose second team do you think would be stronger?

Considering there were 26 internationals in Toulouse's squad this year, I'd rather have one of the other two.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:11 pm

Pool 1 - Newcastle
Pool 2 - Cardiff
Pool 3 - Gloucester
Pool 4 - Stade
Pool 5 - Brive
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:13 pm

Pool 1 - Newcastle, Dragons
Pool 2 - Cardiff, Sale
Pool 3 - Gloucester, Pau
Pool 4 - Stade, Edinburgh
Pool 5 - Brive, Connacht
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Pool 1 - Newcastle, Dragons, Bordeaux,
Pool 2 - Cardiff, Sale, Lyon,
Pool 3 - Gloucester, Pau, Zebre,
Pool 4 - Stade, Edinburgh, London Irish,
Pool 5 - Brive, Connacht, Worcester,
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:20 pm

Pool 1 - Newcastle, Dragons, Bordeaux, Enisey-STM
Pool 2 - Cardiff, Sale, Lyon, Toulouse
Pool 3 - Gloucester, Pau, Zebre, Agen
Pool 4 - Stade, Edinburgh, London Irish, Krasny Yar
Pool 5 - Brive, Connacht, Worcester, Oyannax

We can get out of that groups, London Irish and the Russians are both beatable, and Stade blow hot and cold, and might not be interested. Not much in the way of excitement for the travelling supporter though. Unless you're up for a siberian odyssey in midwinter.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby BigD163 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:28 pm

biffer wrote:Pool 1 - Newcastle, Dragons, Bordeaux, Enisey-STM

We can get out of that groups, London Irish and the Russians are both beatable, and Stade blow hot and cold, and might not be interested. Not much in the way of excitement for the travelling supporter though. Unless you're up for a siberian odyssey in midwinter.

If they play in Krasnoyarsk that is a ball ache of a journey for the players and must be a good 7 or 8 hours time difference. To be honest I'd be sending the kids over there if the squad rules allow. If they are away to them on the second week of all the little double headers, playing there on a Sunday and say a Friday away to anyone in the Pro 12 would be a massive challenge.
BigD163
World Cup Star

Postby biffer on Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:49 pm

BigD163 wrote:

If they play in Krasnoyarsk that is a ball ache of a journey for the players and must be a good 7 or 8 hours time difference. To be honest I'd be sending the kids over there if the squad rules allow. If they are away to them on the second week of all the little double headers, playing there on a Sunday and say a Friday away to anyone in the Pro 12 would be a massive challenge.

in those kinds of situations in the past I think the league has been sympathetic with scheduling, playing games on a Sunday if you've been in Russia. Can't say I'm excited about going back to Reading.
biffer
World Cup Star

Postby GaryIPA on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Agreed. Not a great draw
'The slap is immense'

"this is not soccer"
GaryIPA
World Cup Star

Postby Wottie on Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:45 pm

A trip to Montpelier to say hello to Vern and support our cousin's in the west seems a lot more appealing!!
Bill Mata. The second coming?
"Commitment should not be commended, it should be expected really!"
Wottie
World Cup Star

Next

Return to Edinburgh Rugby Forum